Turn on thread page Beta

How can I get out of jury duty? watch

ReputationRep:
    So contrary to what my 13 year old self thought, I am NOT ecstatic to be called up for jury duty. Can I get out of it?

The summons came to my home in Edinburgh but in September I move back to Newcastle to resume university; is this a valid excuse? I really can't afford to miss a lot of time from my degree.

I'll go lol :tongue: . . . I have always wanted to go tbh (I have a keen interest in the CJS and courts in particular).

ReputationRep:
    i dont think you can get out of it
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Well it depends what dates it is for as to whether uni is relevant.

ReputationRep:
    If you have a genuine reason not to do it in the allocated period then your university may be able to write a letter on your behalf

But you will still have to do it at some other time, with a valid excuse your call up is only deffered

ReputationRep:
    My friend had to do jury service while at uni.

ReputationRep:
    dont they give you money?

ReputationRep:
    They will excuse you if it clashes with term time. Or they did for my sister anyway.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you can get out of it. Only in extreme cases I heard.

ReputationRep:
    It's a very patchy subject, everyone's heard of or knows someone who got out of it/got forced to do it etc.

I'd recommend you look for an official government website if you can and perhaps send an email or make a call to your personal tutor at university.

I'm sure this will have come up before and they would know what to do.

i doubt its true but one of my flat mate's friend's apparently wrote a very long and drawn out letter about how she didn't believe or have faith in the UK justice system :blah: and got out of it.

its probably bs though, i never believe her when she told me.

ReputationRep:
    I was called up for it about a week after my 18th birthday! I got out of it. I wrote a letter about how it would interfere with my education as I was still in 6th form at the time. Give that a try

ReputationRep:
    I managed to defer mine for 11 months (max you can do is 12) because the second week of my service would clash with my first week back at uni. It's certainly possible.

Alternatively, you could shoot yourself in the face. That would get you out of it :ye:

ReputationRep:
    Just ring them up saying you're worried you'd be biased against "the scummy, filthy criminal classes" and they'll quietly withdraw their insistence that you come.

ReputationRep:
    Call them and have an immensely racist rant about how immigrants shouldn't be allowed to do jury duty. "coming over here, stealing our jury duty..."

ReputationRep:
    i heard that you could decline, but then when you're next called you have to do it. but like everyone says here it's probably all just hearsay!

ReputationRep:
    How crappy would it be if it started in fresher's week or something.

ReputationRep:
    What happens if you just point blank refuse and don't turn up ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbelle ♥)
    What happens if you just point blank refuse and don't turn up ?
    They send Samuel L. Jackson round :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Personally I can't see why people don't want to do it. Jury service is like the adult equivalent of the last week of term at primary school when the teachers let you piss around and play board games.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.