Turn on thread page Beta

How can I get out of jury duty? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Change this to offend any ethnicity or sexuality as required. You will be removed instantly
    I'm not sure this is actually true. We don't have the jury selection/rejection system like the USA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thetroll)
    I'm not sure this is actually true. We don't have the jury selection/rejection system like the USA.
    Oh.

:getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    Agree to do it and then just a day before ring up and say you have came down with swine flu!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DBazza)
    Personally I can't see why people don't want to do it. Jury service is like the adult equivalent of the last week of term at primary school when the teachers let you piss around and play board games.
    This, I really want to be called up for it, so does my mum she keeps moaning "I'm fifty six they're never gonna let me life aint fairrrrrr"
    but you can defer it, a friend of mine got called up and it would have clashed with her graduation ceremony and she got told she had to do it next time.

ReputationRep:
    Do what my dad did. He was friends with one of the barristers involved in the case, and got him to challenge his position in the jury because he'd seen him "winking at the defendant", so he got sent home!

ReputationRep:
    get a criminal record. my dad couldnt do it beasue he had a criminal record (i think thats why anyway)

ReputationRep:
    This

Or just send them a letter explaining that you're in full time education and can't do it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xo-Heva)
    Sorry, I'm not sure if its been said but I'll say it anyway.
    I know you can get out of it if you are stressed. If you go to the doctors and say stress is having an impact upon your health you can get a doctors note.

However maybe you should do it. I think you get paid and it could be the only time you get called up in which you will miss out on the experience.
    You don't get paid for it. But if you live far enough away from your court you can apply for travel expenses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DBazza)
    Personally I can't see why people don't want to do it. Jury service is like the adult equivalent of the last week of term at primary school when the teachers let you piss around and play board games.
    :laugh: So true - not that I've done jury duty, but I just love your comment.

ReputationRep:
    I've been called for Jury Service and I start today actually. From a lot of reading, it seems you have to have a very good reason to get out of it - so unless you have an illness, a holiday booked, or exams...then you'll just have to give the judge your reasons as well as evidence and he or she will decide. The judge's decision is final.

ReputationRep:
    My dad did it, and he did get paid, can't remember how much but it's a fair amount of money, and your work has to pay you standard pay as well!!

Also, he has a criminal record, although most of it's from his youth, and he didn't get out of it.

I think if you are called up at home, you can apply to do it in your uni town as well. You should do it, I'm jealous!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perfectly_Imperfect)
    My dad did it, and he did get paid, can't remember how much but it's a fair amount of money, and your work has to pay you standard pay as well!!
    Not quite. You get a daily "subsistance allowance" for food and drink, and you can have your travel expenses reimbursed, and potentially your childcare costs.

Your employer is under no obligation whatsoever to pay you whilst you're on jury duty, but they have to give you the time off to do it. If they do refuse to pay you, you can file for "loss of earnings" with the jury service.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Perfectly_Imperfect)
    Also, he has a criminal record, although most of it's from his youth, and he didn't get out of it.
    Yes, there is a concept of convictions becoming "spent" after a certain amount of time (varies depending on the offence), after which they are no longer considered for official purposes. Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.

ReputationRep:
    They let a guy off jury duty because he wanted to go to Glastonbury: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Festival.html

So either say you're attending a music festival or claim that you'll be biased by your own personal prejudices.

ReputationRep:
    To quote The Simpsons "The way to get out of Jury duty is say your prejudice against all races"

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.