Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raceforthefishman)
    YAY

:hubba:
    Want to try and help me and my friend with a delicious C3 question??

*couldn't remember whether lozz does maths *
    Erm depends, I'm kinda failing at C3 atm :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozz2601)
    I do, but I'm not sure I'll be any more help than if I didn't!
    I'll post it, its infuriating because we just can't see it!

Spoiler:
    Show
    An epidemic is spreading exponentially through a community, so that the total number of people who have been admitted to hospital in the first t weeks (including those who have subsequently been discharged) is modelled by the equation y=5e0.3t

Patients remain in hospital for 2 weeks and then are discharged. Find an expression for the number of patients in hospital after t weeks (for t>= 2) and show that this number also increases exponentially....

Its so annoying

ReputationRep:
    seriously right, who else is sick of checking track and seeing nothing. cuz i am.

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show
    An epidemic is spreading exponentially through a community, so that the total number of people who have been admitted to hospital in the first t weeks (including those who have subsequently been discharged) is modelled by the equation y=5e0.3t

Patients remain in hospital for 2 weeks and then are discharged. Find an expression for the number of patients in hospital after t weeks (for t>= 2) and show that this number also increases exponentially....

Its so annoying
    thats a bit of a tricky one :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    seriously right, who else is sick of checking track and seeing nothing. cuz i am.
    I know nothing's gonna happen with mine now forever so I've sorta given up.....

and er that question is evil.

ReputationRep:
    I know I can't get any more offers
    *have to be given an interview for one...and have to do my interview for the other*

yet i still check it

I just check my emails!

ReputationRep:
    I swear this question is impossible

ReputationRep:
    I swear this question is impossible
    It actually is!

Where's ghosh when you need him

ReputationRep:
    :sadnod:

also grr, trying to learn what kind of more basic *cough* cheaper *cough* microscope I can pimp out with a condensor set up for phase contrast.....and failing....

ReputationRep:

Spoiler:
    Show

Its so annoying
    For the first 2 weeks there are no patients leaving.

Then from that point on, the number of patients in the hospital is defined by y=5e0.3t minus the number of patients there 2 weeks ago.

So it'd be

Week 1 y=5e0.3 +
    Week 2 y=5e0.6 +
    Week 3 y=5e0.9 - y=5e0.3 +
    Week 4 y=5e1.2 - y=5e0.6

Etc etc

So every week it's expanding exponentially.

I don't know if I'm right but it looks like it might be

Though I dunno if that's proof of any sort.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    For the first 2 weeks there are no patients leaving.

Then from that point on, the number of patients in the hospital is defined by y=5e0.3t minus the number of patients there 2 weeks ago.

So it'd be

Week 1 y=5e0.3 +
    Week 2 y=5e0.6 +
    Week 3 y=5e0.9 - y=5e0.3 +
    Week 4 y=5e1.2 - y=5e0.6

Etc etc

So every week it's expanding exponentially.

I don't know if I'm right but it looks like it might be

Though I dunno if that's proof of any sort.
    Ye thanks, I'd worked that out
    Whats the most annoying is the book gives a formula that will work out the number of patients discharged each week

definitely a start though, any ideas with a formula?

ReputationRep:
    Ye thanks, I'd worked that out
    Whats the most annoying is the book gives a formula that will work out the number of patients discharged each week

definitely a start though, any ideas with a formula?
    What is the answer they give?

And they have a formula for exactly the number of patients discharged each week? Isn't that just y=5e0.3(t-2)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    What is the answer they give?

And they have a formula for exactly the number of patients discharged each week? Isn't that just y=5e0.3(t-2)?
    they give it as
    2.26e0.3t

I can understand the 0.3t as the rate of coming and going is going to be the same

and I can understand why they constant is different -- flow of people leaving per week and all that...and its less as the original constant was cumulative of people coming and going

but the number just seems random!

ReputationRep:
    they give it as
    2.26e0.3t

I can understand the 0.3t as the rate of coming and going is going to be the same

and I can understand why they constant is different -- flow of people leaving per week and all that...and its less as the original constant was cumulative of people coming and going

I dunno
    Post a thread in the maths forum, at this time of the day you'll get an answer within minutes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagne Supernova)
    I just check my emails!
    J'arrive! Queerly enough, I was baking a cake
    they give it as
    2.26e0.3t

After t weeks, there have entered  5e^{0.3t} people, and left  5e^{0.3(t-2)} people (as it is the number of people that entered two or more weeks before).

Hence the number of people in the hospital in week t, for t greater than or equal to 2, is the difference, which is after factorising:

5e^{0.3t}(1 - e^{-2\times 0.3})

ReputationRep:
    interview at liverpool, im crapping myself

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    interview at liverpool, im crapping myself
    welll done!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bob9001)
    welll done!
    thanks a lot mate, judging by your sig, you are gonna be seriously busy (unless youve had them already) if theres any congratulations its for you!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.