Turn on thread page Beta

The Soc for People of 'GRDCT2008' Mk VI watch

ReputationRep:
    oi hannah happy birthday :p:
    although i facebook'd instead :yep:

ReputationRep:
    oi...charming...
    :p:

Whats the craic with this muslim driving school thing thats going to start in 10mins 'those featured foster an intimate relationship between instructor and student because of the cultural restrictions that Muslim women experience' --- I don't understand being about as cultured as a teaspoon...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    facebook meeeeeeeeeeeeeee

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by overclocked)
    oi hannah happy birthday :p:
    although i facebook'd instead :yep:
    :yep: thanks

(Original post by raceforthefishman)
    oi...charming...
    :p:

Whats the craic with this muslim driving school thing thats going to start in 10mins 'those featured foster an intimate relationship between instructor and student because of the cultural restrictions that Muslim women experience' --- I don't understand being about as cultured as a teaspoon...
    Spoiler:
    Show
    facebook meeeeeeeeeeeeeee
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I couldn't find you.. :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozz2601)
    Yeh, S1 is a million times better than S2 - S1 actually has some different/relevant stuff in it, when as far as I can tell S2 is just about distributions. Like 4 different types. And then modelling them on one other.
    It seems very pointless and not very mathsy.
    ....and therefore very nicely nice btw i dont know about you lozz but mei is not like that ever

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    ye have yourself a good 'un :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Maths me now plz, question C + D

Not understanding how you find the point D, and why its dot product should equal 0 and how that helps anyone.

And then with the triangle, how do you figure out what's the base/height, do you just have to imagine the triangle in your head and map it out etc?
    Can this question be completed by finding the angle between 2 of the lines and then using the 1/2ab sinc thing?

Cheers
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    The point D on the line is such that OD is perpendicular to the line, as it is closest to O (think about it geometrically if you can't see why it is true). As D is a point on the line, it is of the form:

\mathbf{d} = \vec{OD} = \begin{pmatrix} 3 \\ 9 \\ -7 \end{pmatrix} + \lambda \begin{pmatrix} 2 \\ -3 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix}  = \begin{pmatrix} 3 +2\lambda \\ 9  -3\lambda \\ -7 +\lambda  \end{pmatrix} for some value of lambda.

As said, OD is perpendicular to the line (which has a direction vector of (2,-3,1)). So if we dot OD and that direction vector, it will be zero - you'll see that this will allow us to find lambda, and hence determine D.

\begin{pmatrix} 3 +2\lambda \\ 9  -3\lambda \\ -7 +\lambda  \end{pmatrix} \cdot \begin{pmatrix} 2 \\ -3 \\ 1 \end{pmatrix} = 0

\iff 2(3+2\lambda ) -3 (9-3\lambda ) + (-7 + \lambda ) = 0

cba to solve for lambda.

For the area of the triangle. Let the base of the triangle be AB. We want the perpendicular height from O to AB - if AB are on 'alternate sides' of D, the perp. height is clearly |OD|. If A and B are on the 'same side' of, D, if we extend the line AB, we again see that the perpendicular height will still be |OD| - as it is the perpendicular distance between O and the line through AB. Useing Area = half base times perp. height, we see that Area = 0.5 x |AB| x |OD|.

ReputationRep:
    That better be FM?

ReputationRep:
    That looks like more advanced FP1 - so its probably C4.

ReputationRep:
    ah ****.

my exam was horrific today. it was so..not like the past papers :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    That better be FM?
    It's a pretty standard C4 vectors question. Trust me, everyone finds C4 vectors a massive pain to begin with. But you'll get used to the type of questions that are generally thrown your way.
    :console: Don't worry, it probably went better than you thought. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    It's a pretty standard C4 vectors question. Trust me, everyone finds C4 vectors a massive pain to begin with. But you'll get used to the type of questions that are generally thrown your way.

O I C

Thanks dude.

You're just too awesome

Luv ya :love:

ReputationRep:
    ah ****.

It was bad, so i'm hoping low boundaries!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)

Oh i see.
    I remember doing it in FP1. matrices...no? but with the nightmarish signs from M1 :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I've heard bad things about these exams this session....urg..mine are going to be hard :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Oh my, its actually glacial
    brrrrrrr

Has everyone had good days?

ReputationRep:
    Oh i see.
    I remember doing it in FP1. matrices...no? but with the nightmarish signs from M1 :eek:
    Matrices and vectors are intimately connected, however I doubt things like dot products came up in FP1 matrices [let alone any vector theory], and similarly, there's no theory of matrices on C4. At least, this is true for most boards.

Beth's stupid warning.

Stupid TSR rules...:rant:

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Offer from Imperial [AA in further maths and physics, with an A in every maths module].

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2010
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.