Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ahaha Cs!! oh **** you capitals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    Yes. I came so much, the closet overflowed :indiff:
    ...I see what you did there....

ReputationRep:
    This thread just made a turn for the worse, and I wasn't even involved.

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    This thread just made a turn for the worse, and I wasn't even involved.

:rolleyes:
    Even worse now you're here :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    To think, you may be practically neighbours in September :moon:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)
    To think, you may be practically neighbours in September :moon:
    Not quite. He'll be a 5 minute walk down the road, and I might not be there (******* STEP).

ReputationRep:
    Not quite. He'll be a 5 minute walk down the road, and I might not be there (******* STEP).
    I have every faith you'll do well, Ghosh :console:

But I did put 'may be' in there :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)
    I have every faith you'll do well, Ghosh :console:

But I did put 'may be' in there :p:

Fair point. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Hai bbz

:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Ghosh help me bro.

Stuck on C, how you find the area of the parallelogram.

And then how to approach D.

Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    Ghosh help me bro.

Stuck on C, how you find the area of the parallelogram.

And then how to approach D.

c) Consider the first quadrant: Let the tangent to the ellipse in the first quadrant be called L. It has equation  5y\sin \alpha + 4x\cos \alpha = 20 . Let Y be the point where L meets the y-axis and X be the point where L meets the x-axis. You can find the coordinates of X and Y quite easily. Hence what is the area of triangle XYO (O is the origin)? Hence what is the area of the whole parallelogram?
    Spoiler:
    Show
     X = (5/ \cos \alpha , 0) and  Y = (0, 4/\sin \alpha ).
    Spoiler:
    Show
    \mathrm{Area \ of \ XYO} = \dfrac{10}{\sin \alpha \cos \alpha} = \dfrac{20}{2\sin \alpha \cos \alpha} = \dfrac{20}{\sin 2\alpha} .
    Spoiler:
    Show
     \mathrm{Area \ of \ parallelogram} = 4 \times \mathrm{Area \ of \ XYO} , due to symmetry.
    d) The area of the two types of wood are equal iff half of the area of the parallelogram = the area in the parallelogram but surrounding the ellipse.

Hence we need to solve:

\dfrac{1}{2} \left( \mathrm{Area \ of \ parallelogram} \right) = \dfrac{80}{\sin 2\alpha} - 20\pi .
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think that  \alpha = \frac{1}{2} \sin^{-1} \left( \frac{2}{\pi} \right) , but I haven't got a pen and paper at hand to check.

edit: cheers Natty :love:

ReputationRep:
    c) Consider the first quadrant: Let the tangent to the ellipse in the first quadrant be called L. It has equation  5y\sin \alpha + 4x\cos \alpha = 20 . Let Y be the point where L meets the y-axis and X be the point where L meets the x-axis. You can find the coordinates of X and Y quite easily. Hence what is the area of triangle XYO (O is the origin)? Hence what is the area of the whole parallelogram?
    Spoiler:
    Show
     X = (5/ \cos \alpha , 0) and  Y = (0, 4/\sin \alpha ).
    Spoiler:
    Show
    \mathrm{Area \ of \ XYO} = \dfrac{10}{\sin \alpha \cos \alpha} = \dfrac{20}{2\sin \alpha \cos \alpha} = \dfrac{20}{\sin 2\alpha} .
    Spoiler:
    Show
     \mathrm{Area \ of \ parallelogram} = 4 \times \mathrm{Area \ of \ XYO} , due to symmetry.
    d) The area of the two types of wood are equal iff half of the area of the parallelogram = the area in the parallelogram but surrounding the ellipse.

Hence we need to solve:

\dfrac{1}{2} \left( \mathrm{Area \ of \ parallelogram} \right) = \dfrac{80}{\sin 2\alpha} - 20\pi .
    Spoiler:
    Show
    I think that  \alpha = \frac{1}{2} \sin^{-1} \left( \frac{2}{\pi} \right) , but I haven't got a pen and paper at hand to check.

edit: cheers Natty :love:
    Ahhh yes I forgot about the equation thing they gave you earlier.

And I just got a lil confused about the wording of the last question

ReputationRep:
    On hold at Manchester Med school, what a bunch of gays.

ReputationRep:
    How rude of them!

ReputationRep:
    I feel for you :flute:
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by v1oXx-)
    On hold at Manchester Med school, what a bunch of gays.
    Sorry to hear that but, you're better off at Barts tbh. Don't come to Manchester!

ReputationRep:
    I need to have a complete sort out of all my folders

BBB from Warwick...:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Champagne Supernova)
    BBB from Warwick...:ninja:
    win! congratsss!

for anyone that might know; RE: the ucas deadline thing that was extended to 22nd Jan, does this mean i could still add a choice on track for equal consideration? or is it only for schools that had snow issues and specifically requested a deadline extension (which im not sure if ours did )? infact, does it even apply for peoples forms that have already been processed?

(Original post by John Locke)
    win! congratsss!

for anyone that might know; RE: the ucas deadline thing that was extended to 22nd Jan, does this mean i could still add a choice on track for equal consideration? or is it only for schools that had snow issues and specifically requested a deadline extension (which im not sure if ours did )? infact, does it even apply for peoples forms that have already been processed?

I think it's applicable for all scenarios. :s: The UCAS site doesn't give much info, and if the UCAS/Apps forum can't provide an answer, then phone UCAS? :sigh:

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2010
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.