Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Soc for People of 'GRDCT2008' Mk VI Watch

ReputationRep:
    The new A* system is ridiculous, as is the fact that some universities are using them in offers without seeing how it changes the amount of people getting the higher grades -- i.e. because all the specifications changed to be "harder" and the exam papers changed to adapt to allowing the better candidates get A* grades etc etc which may mean less people end up getting A grades blah blah :yy:

Topical debate in the soc? :gasp:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    The new A* system is ridiculous, as is the fact that some universities are using them in offers without seeing how it changes the amount of people getting the higher grades -- i.e. because all the specifications changed to be "harder" and the exam papers changed to adapt to allowing the better candidates get A* grades etc etc which may mean less people end up getting A grades blah blah :yy:
    Except exam boards haven't made exams harder, they've kept the "difficulty" the same just introduced a higher grade.

That's a totally different thing to having a topic that's more difficult than others though, just because a paper this year is more "difficult" than last years doesn't mean that they've increased the difficulty, they may have just put in questions about a topic people don't know as well/weren't expecting. Although all that Biology stuff sounded pretty ridiculous :p:

And many unis were already asking for an A* equivalent anyways

ReputationRep:
    If theyre going to have this A* though I think they should make it a little clearer....
    I have a firm understanding of how I think you get one, but theres that many other suggestions...who knows!

ReputationRep:
    so glad i didnt get any A* offers, particularly because of the dire nature of the coursework elements of most of my A2s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArchedEdge)
    Except exam boards haven't made exams harder, they've kept the "difficulty" the same just introduced a higher grade.

That's a totally different thing to having a topic that's more difficult than others though, just because a paper this year is more "difficult" than last years doesn't mean that they've increased the difficulty, they may have just put in questions about a topic people don't know as well/weren't expecting. Although all that Biology stuff sounded pretty ridiculous :p:

And many unis were already asking for an A* equivalent anyways
    Oh I was told they've rechanged and added questions that are specifically aimed at A* students.

But if not then fair enough And I don't just mean having a topic that's more difficult, and i'm not just moaning about a hard paper that was harder than last year , I mean changes in AOs etc and a completely re-vamp of the specification and paper style but again I may have been misinformed.

I just think that it would've been better for universities to wait one year to see what happens. :dontknow:

Also I feel "ridiculous" was too strong a word for how I feel on the subject, i'm not THAT bothered :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh I was told they've rechanged and added questions that are specifically aimed at A* students.

But if not then fair enough And I don't just mean having a topic that's more difficult, and i'm not just moaning about a hard paper that was harder than last year , I mean changes in AOs etc and a completely re-vamp of the specification and paper style but again I may have been misinformed.

I just think that it would've been better for universities to wait one year to see what happens. :dontknow:

Also I feel "ridiculous" was too strong a word for how I feel on the subject, i'm not THAT bothered :p:
    I thought you seemed a bit passionate :p:

ReputationRep:

Yeah I've heard that too.....

ReputationRep:
    Same, I thought theyd got some 'special' questions to test the very top students

ReputationRep:
    those questions are the buzz-word of 'stretch and challenge' which only really means extended responces with less handholding and worth more marks.

ReputationRep:
    I have had this piece of homework for nearly two weeks now (longer than its due date) and i've still not done it. :sigh:

and that was what i was expecting regarding the module 4 exams however most questions seemed ''normal''. i doubt module 5s will be as nice:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raceforthefishman)
    I thought you seemed a bit passionate :p:
    Ha I couldn't think of a better word at the time, then when Ed quoted me I re-read it and realised how that may have sounded more "passionate" than I had intended :p:

Really I was just thinking to myself :p:

ReputationRep:
    :rave:

:awesome:

:mmm:

ReputationRep:

(Original post by raceforthefishman)
    Same, I thought theyd got some 'special' questions to test the very top students
    The boards like to think they have, but the truth is that the standard of questions hasn't really changed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Unbounded)
    The boards like to think they have, but the truth is that the standard of questions hasn't really changed.
    Hm I know in some of my subjects, like Business, it does seem like they have but ah well.

ReputationRep:
    Look people, the truth is, no one cares.

ReputationRep:
    Truth is, I'm gonna fail :sad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    Look people, the truth is, no one cares.

:yep:

Except those who have A* offers probably care a lot about A*s but luckily I am not one of those few :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Truth is, I'm gonna fail.
    York are such *****es.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.