Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Soc for People of 'GRDCT2008' Mk VI Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    lulz

ive been rejected from 2 of the ones you applied to :p: id have firmed Birmingham in an instant if they hadnt told me to jog on
    surely oxfords the cheapest, what college is it?
    oh no which two? birm was my favourate when i first sent my form, but its $$$$ and i've gone off it a bit since seeing those accom prices haha. ummm, it's about the same as newcastle (although for ~27 weeks vs 42) but i'm not worried about the 3 years there, more about if i had to do clinical in london. whilst it would be a fantastic oppertunity to observe world class medicine, it costs an impossible amount for my background :|. so it's riskyrisky.

i basically need someone to give me like 15000£, would make it a lot easier :p:. i think i missed a trick not taking a gap year...

anywayyyyyyyy, have you replied to your ucas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by John Locke)
    oh no which two? birm was my favourate when i first sent my form, but its $$$$ and i've gone off it a bit since seeing those accom prices haha. ummm, it's about the same as newcastle (although for ~27 weeks vs 42) but i'm not worried about the 3 years there, more about if i had to do clinical in london. whilst it would be a fantastic oppertunity to observe world class medicine, it costs an impossible amount for my background :|. so it's riskyrisky.

i basically need someone to give me like 15000£, would make it a lot easier :p:. i think i missed a trick not taking a gap year...

I know its quite a large factor...but you shouldn't let the money put you off too much...once in a lifetime and all that

When you're some high flying GP you can pay off all your debts dead easy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy Paving)
    :cookie: Melting Sugar.
    :jumphug:
    That's better. :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melting Sugar.)
    That's better. :console:
    woop :lovedup:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by raceforthefishman)
    I know its quite a large factor...but you shouldn't let the money put you off too much...once in a lifetime and all that

When you're some high flying GP you can pay off all your debts dead easy
    i know what you mean, and to a certain extent it is what my parents are argueing, but the problem is that i have nowhere to get the money from in the first place. the finance from the government won't be enough, my parents can't really give me any support (and certainly can't commit to doing so for 5/6 years) and career development loans from the bank would accumulate interest whilst im still earning not a great deal as a junior doc. plus no guarantee of a high paying medical job (or even a job at all further down the line!) in the future.

= baaaaaaaaad times for me and medicine :p:.

ReputationRep:

birmingham and cardiff, both because of GCSE's, and yes bimingham is the most exciting, though its attracitvenss might have something to do with me not paying accom fees because I live in birmingham :p: but seriously its an awesome uni, ive been there countless times to do stuff, money shouldnt hold you back mate, its an awesome oppurtunity, worry about money after graduating! im suprised though, most people would have instantly gone for Oxford, you still havent said what college though!!!
    err not firmed either, which doesnt make sense seeing as only liverpool gave me an offer lol

ReputationRep:
    i know what you mean, and to a certain extent it is what my parents are argueing, but the problem is that i have nowhere to get the money from in the first place. the finance from the government won't be enough, my parents can't really give me any support (and certainly can't commit to doing so for 5/6 years) and career development loans from the bank would accumulate interest whilst im still earning not a great deal as a junior doc. plus no guarantee of a high paying medical job (or even a job at all further down the line!) in the future.

= baaaaaaaaad times for me and medicine :p:.
    :hugs: It sucks so much

My student finance doesn't cover everything so I'm a bit worried like...
    Seriously though, don't let it spoil it for you -- that would be terrible

ReputationRep:
    birmingham and cardiff, both because of GCSE's
    that sucks! GCSE's are such BS! if applying has taught me anything, it's that a supprising amount of people with outstanding grades at GCSE don't actually have the ability that their metrics suggest (be it caring, reasoning or scientific)...

and yes bimingham is the most exciting, though its attracitvenss might have something to do with me not paying accom fees because I live in birmingham :p: but seriously its an awesome uni, ive been there countless times to do stuff,
    haha maybe, not paying accom would make it quite an attractive prospect if it was the same for me as well :p:. it did seem really good, but then again all of them did so it's hard to pull it appart in the steeplechase that is my ucas track .

money shouldnt hold you back mate, its an awesome oppurtunity, worry about money after graduating!
    as i said before, i don't know if the money will be there to complete the course as there is no source at the moment, so it's hard to not make it a big deal .

im suprised though, most people would have instantly gone for Oxford, you still havent said what college though!!!
    err not firmed either, which doesnt make sense seeing as only liverpool gave me an offer lol
    to be fair, most people don't really stop and think about anything haha, and i'm not really fussed about the prestiege that seems to guide others :p: i've actually got a hilarious example for that but i'm too scared to post it incase the person that said it finds me :o: . i better keep a little anonymity just in case, so will PM it to you.

fair enough, well done on the offer though . firming seems like scary times! too real!

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: It sucks so much

My student finance doesn't cover everything so I'm a bit worried like...
    Seriously though, don't let it spoil it for you -- that would be terrible
    it really does

is it expensive in sheffield? i swear student finance just royally screws everyone haha! is it a big gap? are you doing the MSci/MBioChem/4year? well hopefully i'll find something, ah well, i guess it's going to be uphill the whole way then :p: .

ReputationRep:
    Student finance really is rubbish.
    I'm a grand short just on accommodation let alone money for food, going out, books etc etc.

BTW; Remember me is such a sad film!! :cry:

ReputationRep:
    I thought you would finish this thread tonight, so I stayed up

Anyway im off to bed, so please don't finish it until i can come back and start the new one

ReputationRep:
    natt nighty :moon:

ReputationRep:
    I got a bit happy when I realised i'll qualify for £1000 from l'boro every year (providing income doesn't change, which it may well do).

Before I was like :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)
    I thought you would finish this thread tonight, so I stayed up

Anyway im off to bed, so please don't finish it until i can come back and start the new one
    y'know i could just close it and you start the new one

ReputationRep:
    noooooooo

race for 10k :woo:

ReputationRep:
    oh noes photos! did you have a lot of them on the tinter though??
    yeahhh on fb

ReputationRep:
    now my computer is having a complete spas and not downloading anything. mmmmm nice.

ReputationRep:
    :console:

ReputationRep:
    it really does

is it expensive in sheffield? i swear student finance just royally screws everyone haha! is it a big gap? are you doing the MSci/MBioChem/4year? well hopefully i'll find something, ah well, i guess it's going to be uphill the whole way then :p: .
    Its £4000 per year accommodation and I get like £3200 or something...so I'm going to have to work pretty much full time over the summer and get taxed etc....fml

I've applied for BSc but I'm going to swap onto 4 years when I get there..I applied to Sheffield very last minute so thought I'd better just apply for BSc util I knew more!

I know what you mean about the prestige...tbh...I couldn't stand that the college I applied to reckoned I'd drop everything on like 4 days to eventually 2days notice just because they're oxford...when for my subject Sheffield is like 6th or something anyway (beneath such as imperial)...you have to take these rankings with a pinch of salt as it is

ReputationRep:
    Its £4000 per year accommodation and I get like £3200 or something...so I'm going to have to work pretty much full time over the summer and get taxed etc....fml
    saaames, if i can find a job that is!! is that catered?

I've applied for BSc but I'm going to swap onto 4 years when I get there..I applied to Sheffield very last minute so thought I'd better just apply for BSc util I knew more!
    faaair enough, is it easy to swap?

I know what you mean about the prestige...tbh...I couldn't stand that the college I applied to reckoned I'd drop everything on like 4 days to eventually 2days notice just because they're oxford...when for my subject Sheffield is like 6th or something anyway (beneath such as imperial)...you have to take these rankings with a pinch of salt as it is
    that's just silly!! i was fortunate in that medicine interviews were really structured (we knew 2 weeks in advance and had set arrive & leave times). you'd have got annoyed when you were there as well, they kept people extra nights with like a few hours notice haha! crazy times.

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.