Have you SEEN the rest of the thread?!
    :p:

at least yours was words.
    :teeth:

:awesome:

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)
    I would have played Suite Antique, the first piece, if IIRC, howver ABRSM, have changed their whole syllabus.

The pieces weren't the bad part of my exam though. :rolleyes:

I played Vivace (Sonata in B flat - Quantz), and then the 2nd and 3rd Movements from Sonatina (can't remember the key) by Jardaniyi and then Con Brio (this ragtime, full of fancy ornaments and stuff). :yes:
    Well the first movement of the Suite Antique (I played this one), I didn't actually like that much. The top of the second page is a pain as well.

Lol, same for me (well although, admittedly, the Rutter went appaulingly), but my oral was hilariously bad :laugh: Got out of doing sight reading though (:yeah:) as I had an alternative of playing the aforementioned orchestral extracts.

I'm not too familiar with those pieces, although I hear that Jardaniyi is quite fun to play. Who is Con Brio by?

I'm not really working towards grade 8 at the moment, just playing about really - currently learning Godard's Suite de Trois Morceaux which is actually awesome. You must get hold of the music sometime :yep: First and second movements are fun and not too difficult (if you know of James Galway, you may be familiar with his demonstration of 16 flutes, which is on youtube, and he plays the first movement in this), and the third movement is actually really fun but extraordinarily difficult - it's like second diploma level. I can (poorly) play about two thirds of this movement though :smile:

When you go on to do grade 8, I highly recommend Sunstreams by Ian Clarke. So much fun, and such a pretty piece

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    Why Do None Of You Rep Me
    :curious: I rep you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GHOSH-5)
    Well the first movement of the Suite Antique (I played this one), I didn't actually like that much. The top of the second page is a pain as well.

Lol, same for me (well although, admittedly, the Rutter went appaulingly), but my oral was hilariously bad :laugh: Got out of doing sight reading though (:yeah:) as I had an alternative of playing the aforementioned orchestral extracts.

I'm not too familiar with those pieces, although I hear that Jardaniyi is quite fun to play. Who is Con Brio by?

I'm not really working towards grade 8 at the moment, just playing about really - currently learning Godard's Suite de Trois Morceaux which is actually awesome. You must get hold of the music sometime :yep: First and second movements are fun and not too difficult (if you know of James Galway, you may be familiar with his demonstration of 16 flutes, which is on youtube, and he plays the first movement in this), and the third movement is actually really fun but extraordinarily difficult - it's like second diploma level. I can (poorly) play about two thirds of this movement though :smile:

When you go on to do grade 8, I highly recommend Sunstreams by Ian Clarke. So much fun, and such a pretty piece
    Con Brio is by Russell Stokes. What a normal name for a composer, eh? :p: :rolleyes:

Jardaniyi is quite fun actually. Very straightforward, nice accidentals, nice articulation and no god forsaken ORNAMENTS. :woo: His rhythms are very good too.

I wanna get to grade 8, because technically I should have done it by now, I'm just very lazy when it comes to it, and my own laziness has held me back. :rolleyes:

Are you doing ABRSM for Grade 8? I will look up the suite, maybe my teacher might have it... :beard:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natty_d)
    Con Brio is by Russell Stokes. What a normal name for a composer, eh? :p: :rolleyes:
    I see. I'll try and find a copy some time :smile:
    Jardaniyi is quite fun actually. Very straightforward, nice accidentals, nice articulation and no god forsaken ORNAMENTS. :woo: His rhythms are very good too.
    Fair enough. Ornaments can be good, especially when it's like a classical/baroque piece and you essentially get to put them in wherever you feel is right :smile: I played Mozart's Concerto in D for grade 7, and just like choosing where a trill or maudent should go. And there was a nice cadenza at the end [you had to make up your own one] but my teacher kindly gave me James Galway's 'secret' one :yep:
    I wanna get to grade 8, because technically I should have done it by now, I'm just very lazy when it comes to it, and my own laziness has held me back. :rolleyes:
    Same! Ah, especially with saxophone, I've been so lazy this last academic year. I mean, I've played flute for about 6-7 years now, and I know a couple of those years went so lazily :tongue:
    Are you doing ABRSM for Grade 8? I will look up the suite, maybe my teacher might have it... :beard:
    Yep. I'll probably be playing Ian Clarke's Sunstreams, a study by Kohler, and then something else, which I have yet to decide. Definitely look up the suite. So awesome

ReputationRep:
    :curious: I rep you.
    :love:
    that was my first pos rep in ages. negged tooooo much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaz_jaz)
    :love:
    that was my first pos rep in ages. negged tooooo much.
    :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    my feet always hurt after a driving lesson

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clad in armour)
    That used to happen to me; like on your ankle?

I read it's cos you're sat too close?! :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lozz2601)
    That used to happen to me; like on your ankle?

I read it's cos you're sat too close?! :confused:
    ye it is in the ankle, hang on, have you already passed?

:woo: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I see. I'll try and find a copy some time :smile:

Fair enough. Ornaments can be good, especially when it's like a classical/baroque piece and you essentially get to put them in wherever you feel is right :smile: I played Mozart's Concerto in D for grade 7, and just like choosing where a trill or maudent should go. And there was a nice cadenza at the end [you had to make up your own one] but my teacher kindly gave me James Galway's 'secret' one :yep:

Same! Ah, especially with saxophone, I've been so lazy this last academic year. I mean, I've played flute for about 6-7 years now, and I know a couple of those years went so lazily :tongue:

Yep. I'll probably be playing Ian Clarke's Sunstreams, a study by Kohler, and then something else, which I have yet to decide. Definitely look up the suite. So awesome
    I like that I have someone I can talk about the flute with. :awesome: :love:

Also, I agree ornaments aren't that bad in classical/baroque piece, the Quantz I played has some really nice mordents in it. However the Russell Stokes piece is just a bit... :nn:

ReputationRep:
    ye it is in the ankle, hang on, have you already passed?

:woo: :woo:
    Nahh, I just moved my seat back a bit and it stopped :p:

ReputationRep:
    Nahh, I just moved my seat back a bit and it stopped :p:
    lolz no wonder, I always move my seat forward
    how many lessons you had then?

ReputationRep:
    lolz no wonder, I always move my seat forward
    how many lessons you had then?
    I remember someone telling me their feet hurt before i had lessons, and laughing at them cos I didn't see how.....
    But it realllllly does.

Errm, 14 i think?
    Gawddd that's a lot.

You? How goes the learning as a whole?

ReputationRep:
    it IS because you're sitting too close

good lesson?

ReputationRep:
    I remember someone telling me their feet hurt before i had lessons, and laughing at them cos I didn't see how.....
    But it realllllly does.

Errm, 14 i think?
    Gawddd that's a lot.

You? How goes the learning as a whole?
    lolz, just had my 5th
    havent even used the reverse gear yet lol
    but its going brilliantly,
    £18 a lesson, you?

ReputationRep:
    lolz, just had my 5th
    £18 a lesson, you?
    nice price!
    theres someone near us who my nstructor said charges £28 and hour :eek:

ReputationRep:
    lolz, just had my 5th
    £18 a lesson, you?
    5th and still feeling positive is pretty good!

Blimey, I thought my £20 an hour was good!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 8, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.