Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Going to see HP on my own tommorrow :( Watch

Okay, I told all of my friends a while back that I'd be going on holiday with family, but just before we were about to leave, family problems kicked in and it never quite worked out....now, I felt so embarassed to tell my friends that it never worked out, and have just pretended really that I'm still on holiday, but posted on FB that I should be coming back in late July (v different from the initially planned late Sept). Now, that means I've only been able to see 5 of my friends while I'm on my supposed ''holiday'' and so it's been very lonely - mostly me looking for work (failing), writing stories, going out hardly ever really...

But tommorow, seeing as I'm apparently 'on holiday', I reaaaaaaally want to see Harry Potter, but none of those 5 friends (who don't know about this apparent holiday of mine) are available at all anytime soon/don't want to see it, so I'm left all alone.

Is it okay to go to the cinema on your own? I went to the till today to buy tickets and almost collapsed, seeing everyone laughing together and having fun, so I just left and sat alone in Starbucks. I come from quite a large family, but none of them want to see it.

So, if I go in the early afternoon tommorow, will it be really embarassing? Will people laugh at me/look down a me because of this?

And also, please advise me about this fake 'holiday' shizzle - how can I tell my friends I'm actually here, so my social life can revert to normal again? (Having only 5 friends freely available is so saddening )?

We were meant to hav gone to Africa then America, but it never worked out. How can I tell my friends that I'm actually here?

And also, I've had literally tens and tens of invites to various picnics/outings/parties etc over just this last week and it's so depressing

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Going to the cinema alone is fine. Everyone will be watching the awesomeness that is Harry Potter (even if the films are rubbish compared to the books) and not worrying about the people sat around them. Few people will notice, and those that do probably wont care. If anyone has a problem with it, it says more about them than you.

As for the fake holiday thing, you've kind of dug yourself a hole. You friends shouldn't have cared if you didn't end up going, if they did that wouldn't make them great friends. Telling them now will make them think "why did (s)he lie about it?" and will be tough, but it's probably better than continuing the lie. I'd just be honest with them and tell them you felt embarrassed etc. Either that or tell them you had to come back early because one of the people you went with got swine flu, or the travel company went bust.

I think that it's okay to go to the cinema on you own. Once you get in the lights will get switched off and everyone is just sitting in the theater watching the film. Being with other people doesn't really change the way you watch the film.

You could just tell your friends the truth and tell them that you would have told them earlier but you felt too embarrassed to do so. Just ring one of your friends and tell them what happened, I'm sure they'll be understanding

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it's fine, it's says a lot about a person if they have the independence/confidence to go alone. I don't go to the cinema much unless there's something good on, and whenever me and my friends are there we always see someone alone. It's no big deal if you don't make it one.

I don't see why you needed to construct this whole fake holiday thing though? Surely there's a few days where you're not in contact with your friends where you could have just gone alone instead of having to keep the lie going?

Why not just tell these friends that you're no longer going on holiday, something came up and you're staying? Then you can salvage some of your summer and got to the picnics and parties and stuff

ReputationRep:
    I agree with whats been said already - cinema alone is fine and tlel your friends.

Perhaps confind in one friend that you're close to that the holiday didn't work out and you felt to embarassed to tell them, and let it work its way around.

In the real world, I'd go for the travel company went bust plan - just could be difficult digigng even more holes for yourself....

ReputationRep:
    I would come with you if I could, you poor anonymous person :console: But I work. So maybe next time hun.

PS: You should tell your friends about your whole 'holiday' fiasco. I'm sure they'd understand. I mean, what are fwends for? :tongue:

Thank you so much guys, your advice really is so invaluable to me.

I think my best (Rele best) friend knows about the holiday thingy, the first text I sent him was met with 'wooooow, omg! etc' but now she hardly ever replies and her tone seems just so sad now

ARGHH! I so hate myself for getting me into this mess, I think I might as well just confide in her... gawd, i feel so awful my insides are burning inside me

ReputationRep:
    Tell your friends the truth, just send a text to them and explain. You shouldn't have pretended you'd gone to begin with, but what's done is done now They'll understand

ReputationRep:
    I'm bored this whole week with nothing really to do, mind if I come along? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay, I told all of my friends a while back that I'd be going on holiday with family, but just before we were about to leave, family problems kicked in and it never quite worked out....now,
    You aren't Northern Irish...no? I want to go and see it :woo:

ReputationRep:
    It makes sense going to the cinema on your own. If its a good film you don't talk to them anyway. You just sit and watch the film, it doesn't matter who you sit next to.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I told all of my friends a while back that I'd be going on holiday with family, but just before we were about to leave, family problems kicked in and it never quite worked out....now, I felt so embarassed to tell my friends that it never worked out, and have just pretended really that I'm still on holiday, but posted on FB that I should be coming back in late July (v different from the initially planned late Sept). Now, that means I've only been able to see 5 of my friends while I'm on my supposed ''holiday'' and so it's been very lonely - mostly me looking for work (failing), writing stories, going out hardly ever really...

But tommorow, seeing as I'm apparently 'on holiday', I reaaaaaaally want to see Harry Potter, but none of those 5 friends (who don't know about this apparent holiday of mine) are available at all anytime soon/don't want to see it, so I'm left all alone.

Is it okay to go to the cinema on your own? I went to the till today to buy tickets and almost collapsed, seeing everyone laughing together and having fun, so I just left and sat alone in Starbucks. I come from quite a large family, but none of them want to see it.

So, if I go in the early afternoon tommorow, will it be really embarassing? Will people laugh at me/look down a me because of this?

And also, please advise me about this fake 'holiday' shizzle - how can I tell my friends I'm actually here, so my social life can revert to normal again? (Having only 5 friends freely available is so saddening )?

We were meant to hav gone to Africa then America, but it never worked out. How can I tell my friends that I'm actually here?

And also, I've had literally tens and tens of invites to various picnics/outings/parties etc over just this last week and it's so depressing

Thank you
    What made you decide to pretend you was on holiday still? what was so embarassing about it not working out may i ask?

As for the cinema nothing wrong with going on your own and its not embarassing because nobodys going to be paying attention to whos come there with who anyway

ReputationRep:

Thank you
    I've just seen it, and it was pretty good, exactly what you'd expect really. I'll quite happily see it again and I'm free on Friday afternoon...? :cute:

ReputationRep:
    As long as you dont put it on your sandwiches it should be alright.

ReputationRep:

Thank you
    Where are you from, OP? I'd come to see it with you

Either way, there's nothing wrong with going to see it on your own.

Thanks so much guys Made me feel tons better! I just told my closest friends that I'll be coming back within the next week - another lie, I know, but at least it's sorted out the problem :-/

I'm from South London, live in Wandsworth Common

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much guys Made me feel tons better! I just told my closest friends that I'll be coming back within the next week - another lie, I know, but at least it's sorted out the problem :-/

Shame, that is too far away.

ReputationRep:

I live near(ish) there! :woo: lol

I'm gonna see it on sat :yes: :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I'm in SW19 i can come see it if i want

ReputationRep:
    I'll take you if your a female.

Edit: damn in leeds here.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.