Turn on thread page Beta

Going to see HP on my own tommorrow :( watch

ReputationRep:
    Go for it. If people ask, just say you came with your mates but couldnt get seats together etc.

ReputationRep:
    I sat next to a person on their own at the cinema and they seemed happy enough. Even if they were sat in my seat and totally wrecked the beginning of the film, she was happy.

Just sit in the right place, and everything will be good

And for the friend thing, just say you came back early?

(Original post by av2606)
    Hey, I'll come with you! Wouldn't mind seeing it myself...just don't tell my friends that
    Haha, really?

Where do you live? :o:

I'm 18 and male btw

(Original post by Hexasol)
    I sat next to a person on their own at the cinema and they seemed happy enough. Even if they were sat in my seat and totally wrecked the beginning of the film, she was happy.

Just sit in the right place, and everything will be good

And for the friend thing, just say you came back early?
    Thanks

I'll try to go in the early afternoon, so it's mostly empty + yep, I've JUST RESOLVED THE FRIEND ISSUE!!!! THANKS!!! ))))))))

I'm apparently 'back from next week' lol :o:

ReputationRep:
    i ahve no sympathy for you,

you lied to save face and are now reaping what you sow, your friends are going to be more annoyed that you lied to them than you didnt go away in the first place

as for the cinema stop whining and being a little baby and go watch the film, theres nothing wrong with going to the cinema alone ffs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Okay, I told all of my friends a while back that I'd be going on holiday with family, but just before we were about to leave, family problems kicked in and it never quite worked out....now, I felt so embarassed to tell my friends that it never worked out, and have just pretended really that I'm still on holiday, but posted on FB that I should be coming back in late July (v different from the initially planned late Sept). Now, that means I've only been able to see 5 of my friends while I'm on my supposed ''holiday'' and so it's been very lonely - mostly me looking for work (failing), writing stories, going out hardly ever really...

But tommorow, seeing as I'm apparently 'on holiday', I reaaaaaaally want to see Harry Potter, but none of those 5 friends (who don't know about this apparent holiday of mine) are available at all anytime soon/don't want to see it, so I'm left all alone.

Is it okay to go to the cinema on your own? I went to the till today to buy tickets and almost collapsed, seeing everyone laughing together and having fun, so I just left and sat alone in Starbucks. I come from quite a large family, but none of them want to see it.

So, if I go in the early afternoon tommorow, will it be really embarassing? Will people laugh at me/look down a me because of this?

And also, please advise me about this fake 'holiday' shizzle - how can I tell my friends I'm actually here, so my social life can revert to normal again? (Having only 5 friends freely available is so saddening )?

We were meant to hav gone to Africa then America, but it never worked out. How can I tell my friends that I'm actually here?

And also, I've had literally tens and tens of invites to various picnics/outings/parties etc over just this last week and it's so depressing

Thank you
    Go to the earliest screening in the morning (probably about 10am) and go with the mindset of having to go alone, as you work nights and all your friends work regular daytime hours. If you go with that mindset you already have a very realistic excuse, which will make you appear more confident.

ReputationRep:
    I would feel so uncomfortable having to go to the cinema alone

ReputationRep:
    naah plenty of people see films alone ! there's nothing to worry about in the slightest.. it's never really crossed my mind when serving a customer "ooh look at him going to watch a film all by himself ! what a loser !" not all people like the same stuff and so you may have to see the film you want by yourself occasionally ! i've done it many a time but i suppose it's less of an issue for me when i'm going inot my place of work.. goodness i've even gone to the theatre several times by myself ! it's nothing for you to get your knickers in a twist about i assure you..!

ReputationRep:
    I've been to the cinema to see movies alone loads of times. Usually because I want to see them in the afternoon when tickets are cheaper, but none of my friends are available.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, what are you going to do when they ask to see photos of you in Africa?
    Or why you're not really, really tanned?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Controversial)
    Just out of interest, what are you going to do when they ask to see photos of you in Africa?
    Or why you're not really, really tanned?
    I was thinking the exact same thing. I was gonna say to get the fake tan bottles out!
    I might have to go to the cinema on my own if i can't find anyone to see drag me to hell before its out of the cinema.
    Also, buzzing social life you have :/
    Chuck some of your event invites to me if you feel overwhelmed?

ReputationRep:
    Why is everything an issue?

You should be more worried about lying to your friends rather than going to see a film on your own

ReputationRep:
    Now, that means I've only been able to see 5 of my friends while I'm on my supposed ''holiday'' and so it's been very lonely - mostly me looking for work (failing), writing stories, going out hardly ever really...

But tommorow, seeing as I'm apparently 'on holiday', I reaaaaaaally want to see Harry Potter, but none of those 5 friends (who don't know about this apparent holiday of mine) are available at all anytime soon/don't want to see it, so I'm left all alone.

And also, please advise me about this fake 'holiday' shizzle - how can I tell my friends I'm actually here, so my social life can revert to normal again? (Having only 5 friends freely available is so saddening )?

We were meant to hav gone to Africa then America, but it never worked out. How can I tell my friends that I'm actually here?

And also, I've had literally tens and tens of invites to various picnics/outings/parties etc over just this last week and it's so depressing

Thank you
    OMG... life must be very hard for you (pats head) 5 friends?! Tens of invites to outings?! Might see a film... by yourself?!

I have no sympathy for you. Get over yourself and self pity (yes, being liked must be a pain for you) I feel sorry for people with real problems like having no friends at all because of being bullied and such... (not me anymore, anyway)

World's smallest violin anyone?

ReputationRep:
    SE London. I'm also 18 male :mad:
    XD Fail!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    OMG... life must be very hard for you (pats head) 5 friends?! Tens of invites to outings?! Might see a film... by yourself?!

I have no sympathy for you. Get over yourself and self pity (yes, being liked must be a pain for you) I feel sorry for people with real problems like having no friends at all because of being bullied and such... (not me anymore, anyway)

World's smallest violin anyone?

I love you.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, I told all of my friends a while back that I'd be going on holiday with family, but just before we were about to leave, family problems kicked in and it never quite worked out....now, I felt so embarassed to tell my friends that it never worked out, and have just pretended really that I'm still on holiday, but posted on FB that I should be coming back in late July (v different from the initially planned late Sept). Now, that means I've only been able to see 5 of my friends while I'm on my supposed ''holiday'' and so it's been very lonely - mostly me looking for work (failing), writing stories, going out hardly ever really...

Is it okay to go to the cinema on your own? I went to the till today to buy tickets and almost collapsed, seeing everyone laughing together and having fun, so I just left and sat alone in Starbucks. I come from quite a large family, but none of them want to see it.

So, if I go in the early afternoon tommorow, will it be really embarassing? Will people laugh at me/look down a me because of this?

Thank you

I don't get it OP why would you lie....you are going to come unstuck!!!! What are you going to say when people ask about your holiday pictures, ask your family how it went, what you did, did you buy anything there????

Why on earth would you lie? It is nothing to be embarassed about. If they were your friends they it wouldn't matter if you went or not and you could have arranged other things to do.

I tell you what IS going to be embarassing, is when your friends find out that you are a lier, that you made up the whole thing and they won't be able to trust anything you have said you have done or going to do in the future.

Going to the cinema on your own is fine......I'm just guessing that when they find out your a lier you'll be going on your more often.

ReputationRep:
    Tell your friends - you don't need to give them details. You have loads of friends, more than many, so don't sound so gloaty ''tens and tens of invites''.

ReputationRep:
    i just dont get why you would lie about not going on holiday??? do you really think anyone is gonna care if you didnt go on holiday? it just makes your life harder as you have found out..and what you gonna do bout photos?get them off google?lol o dear...

and im sure going cinema alone is fine... i never would but just dont worry bout what others will think,im sure they will be too busy watching the film to wonder why your sitting alone just dont sit in the middle of an empty row of seats lol

ReputationRep:
    SE London. I'm also 18 male :mad:
    LOL

But seriously... I think going to see a movie on your own is OK! And also I would be up for seeing it with you if I was living in the same area.

Also, I think that people are being a tad insensitive here. I've lied to my friends once or twice in the past... no regrets... everyone lies sometimes it's okay. I would understand if the OP told me the truth... but people are different... maybe his friends wouldn't understand.

Also, is it me or did people start being nasty about this when he announced that he was an 18 year-old male... sexist much? unless if its just me...

Despite this though... I've got to say that if you keep getting invites on facebook for different things and have 5 friends... you should maybe try being a bit happier with your life.
    People go through worse things in their lives and I'm right now going through a bit of a social low point here... My social life is no where near that... Have you thought about reading books... watching movies at home and maybe learning some stuff... maybe even voluntary work while you're waiting to "come back" from holiday...I like spending time at home sometimes, just to get away from some of the b******t that goes on in my group. I wish you'd be more appreciative... :-)

ReputationRep:
    Facebook status: Oh damn, holiday plans cancelled.

You're sorted.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.