Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right, i go to the gym 4 times a week. Recently i have been focusing on strength, but i am going to start going to the gym in the morning to do cardio, mainly to lose that little body fat i have. Few questions though:
    1. I have heard that i should do cardio on an empty stomach for best results in the morning. Yes or no?
    2. Should i do running, cycling etc or cross trainer, rowing machine etc

THanks!!

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on you, really. I, myself, find it much easier to exercise late in the evening (usually after 7) because I've got enough energy from food to do it, by then, and have obviously woken up a lot. Whereas, some people find other times easier. Also, I have heard that it is better to exercise between 4-7pm due to having a higher/peak body temp. (making it a lot easier and ideal). You may find it a lot more difficult due to lack of energy if you exercise on an empty stomach. I don't think there is a strong basis behind doing this whatsoever (apart from the argument of a raised metabolism throughout the day - which, tbh, you get generally whenever you exercise. It's a negligible argument, imo).
    Do whatever you like doing. A mixture is best - personally, I would recommend more running, very little cycling, a fair amount of cross training and a little rowing.

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, sounds like a plan!! Whenever i feel cheers

ReputationRep:
    For crazy people that exercise early in the morning, coffee becomes more important than testosterone.

And you've double posted this question.

ReputationRep:
    I vary between half an hour running and half an hour to an hour muscle toning exercises every morning, but that's because I don't really want to lose too much weight, I just want to be able to enjoy my food =D. The idea of doing cardio on empty stomach sounds horrible, especially as you've been asleep, so essentially fasting for the past however many hours. I would suggest maybe having something small and light, so maybe some fruit just to kickstart you, they say bananas are good don't they?

Also, the above are good cardio work outs, I've heard that the rowing machine in particular is, but i feel the burn on the cross trainer more. Remember a lot of running can damage the knees so get good shoes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigred0489)
    Right, i go to the gym 4 times a week. Recently i have been focusing on strength, but i am going to start going to the gym in the morning to do cardio, mainly to lose that little body fat i have. Few questions though:
    1. I have heard that i should do cardio on an empty stomach for best results in the morning. Yes or no?
    2. Should i do running, cycling etc or cross trainer, rowing machine etc

THanks!!
    1 There is an opinion that doing cardio on an empty stomach in the morning will hit the fat stores better on the body ,so if your purpose of doing cardio is fat loss that is something to bear in mind. It is also the case that having a heavy breakfast would not be wise ,as if you are doing cardio properly you will throw it up. However personally I eat something light such as a banana because I have tried doing cardio on an empty stomach and my run times were better with the banana . Make sure you have some water beforehand especially right now.

2 I personally find running most effective for me, I run 4 times a week at 4am before uni/work and do a few miles. But do what suits you.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.