Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People doing cardio in gyms Watch

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I'm in the gym, which is usually 3x a week, I spot so few people working at what you'd call a decent intensity. There seems to be more people walking on the treadmills than running and I'm often the only one in there sweating profusely and breathing heavily - ie. really pushing myself. I don't know how people expect to gain anything, cardiovascularly, if all they're doing is working at a really low intensity.

Meh, am I missing something here? :confused:

Any of you relate to what I'm saying?

ReputationRep:
    Totalllyy! I always wonder about that. I thought I was the only one, too xD haha.
    There is the odd person working at the same rate usually, though.
    I think it's because a lot of people who would do so, do it elsewhere, maybe? I.e. running outside, various sport etc. Also, I know that a lot of people just use the gym for the weights and do cardio outside. I, myself, use gym cardio equipment about 3x a week and run twice a week outside.

ReputationRep:
    You have just described what happens at my gym. I feel kind of out of place when I come of the crosstrainer bright red and dripping with sweat lol. It tends to be more the girls that do this, especially the ones who turn up with full make-up and hot pants. They walk on the tradmill for about 5 mins then move on to the next machine and go slow in that too, they spend around 20 mins in total in the gym doing basically bugger all.

ReputationRep:
    maybe theyre warming up or down?? when i go (which is too rarely now!) i warm up with a quick walk uphill and warm down with another CV piece. atleast they're trying to do something! making the effort... i too sweat a lot however but you can cool off inbetween different types of apparatus. i feel judged at the gym by people similar to you who are uber dedicated and make all us normaltons feel rubbish and unfit!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah when I was 15 I was a gym goer with my mum. We'd always be working flat out, face like beetroots and a drenched towel. All the other women just waltzed around wearing very tight gym clothing doing very little.

ReputationRep:
    I know what you mean. I don't condemn those people however, because in my eyes it's a sign that they at least recognise the fact that improvement is needed...but then again I think that 99% of them will not renew their gym membership for the following year after seeing no improvement and remain at the same fitness level as before. It's kinda sad.

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely, it's entirely up to the individual to do as they please in a gym but it strikes me as a bit wasteful really. Meh. It doesn't stop me from working my ass off....

ReputationRep:
    I got told in PE in year 11 that walking is the best way to burn fat. No idea how that works and if it's true. Prehaps they heard that too.

ReputationRep:
    wow i thought i was alone at this. I always push myself to the maximum, literally raining when i do cardio, and the guy next to me just looks like he was cruising by looking at flowers. But if they enjoy that then so be it, I just keep to myself and work to the level that is required.

ReputationRep:
    I do see where you're coming from, but remember that not everyone sweats profusely at the same thing... if you see where im coming from. For example, iv seen folk running on the treadmill with buckets running down their face, whereas i can spend 45 mins running without sweating too badly. As soon as i start on the cross trainer though... it kills me!

ReputationRep:
    Concentrate on your own exercise innit, it's their time to waste :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    I see your point, i do a bit of both depending on my mood/energy levels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrGumby)
    I got told in PE in year 11 that walking is the best way to burn fat. No idea how that works and if it's true. Prehaps they heard that too.
    something to do with burning your stores of carbohydrate before burning your fatty stores? :confused: rofl, sommat like dat. And that it takes a bit longer to start achieving the latter...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    something to do with burning your stores of carbohydrate before burning your fatty stores? :confused: rofl, sommat like dat. And that it takes a bit longer to start achieving the latter...
    Something to do with some sort of threshold or something.

* Myth: Exercise done at a low intensity, such as walking, is better at fat burning than other high-intensity activities, like running or cardio activities where you push yourself very hard.

The Truth: In a strict scientific sense, these claims are true because working at a lower intensity requires less quick energy and a higher percentage of fat is burned. But you'll also burn fewer calories than you would if, for the same amount of time, you work out at a harder intensity (running versus walking). If you're trying to lose weight, even though a higher percentage of fat is being used, a lower total amount of fat is lost.
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...t-burning.html

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of reasons why they would do that.

I cant say I notice other people as I tend to focus on my own workout at the gym and not worry about others.

ReputationRep:
    i start with a 10 or 15 minute fast walk uphill on the treadmill then do like 4 or 5 miles on the bikes at around 80 rpm, before 7 minutes on the cross trainer then doing 20 reps on a few weight machines before cooling down by another walk on the treadmill

i have bad knees, hips and back...i cant run for ages, i cant go on the cross trainer for too long but bikes for some reason are fine...any clues?

oh and im not one of the fully made up, tight tracky girls...im the one in a vest and baggy joggers lol...your thinking of my "fat mate" whose a stone lighter and a size smaller than me lol x

ReputationRep:
    I know there'll be some strong reasoning as to why some people do gentle cardio in a gym, i.e. coming back from injury, easing their way back into things etc...

but the extent to which people take it easy, cardio-wise, is, well, it's a large extent.

ReputationRep:
    people do what they can, not everyone is motivated to bust their ass off 3 times a week, so they take t easy, or don't go at all

ReputationRep:
    Why do you care?

ReputationRep:
    I think you shouldn't judge - as people have already said, they might be warming up/ cooling down etc.

Also the machines usually have fat burning settings where they make you go at a slow pace - maybe they've been told to do that? I tried doing it once and I was going so, so slowly to try and get my heart rate down, it was pathetic.

Although you've made me feel paranoid now... Ithankfully my body sweats a lot anyway. :ninja:

(Well, I'm not thankful in any situation other than this thread!)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.