Turn on thread page Beta

People doing cardio in gyms watch

ReputationRep:
    I think the gym can be quite intimidating for some people. Good on them for going in the first place and doing whatever makes them feel comfortable. Doesn't mean they aren't getting anything out of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    I think the gym can be quite intimidating for some people. Good on them for going in the first place and doing whatever makes them feel comfortable. Doesn't mean they aren't getting anything out of it.
    I can understand that. I personally prefer to work out when it's much quieter, when there's less distraction, people, noise etc...and when it is quieter, the gym feels significant cooler too. I can understand some people going at a lower intensity because of their (lack of) fitness, but I see, particularly women, who look in good shape, just walk on treadmills or read magazines whilst on the exercise bike. Each to their own but how you can possibly concentrate reading whilst cycling is beyond me...the beauty of multi-tasking eh :rolleyes:

Thanks to the person who negged my OP with "I don't like you". Rather amusing. Well, I don't like your mother and I had to use a plastic bag.

:rolleyes:

Probably because those "people working at what you'd call a decent intensity" tend to be out on track, road, or countryside.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by white_haired_wizard)
    I can understand that. I personally prefer to work out when it's much quieter, when there's less distraction, people, noise etc...and when it is quieter, the gym feels significant cooler too. I can understand some people going at a lower intensity because of their (lack of) fitness, but I see, particularly women, who look in good shape, just walk on treadmills or read magazines whilst on the exercise bike. Each to their own but how you can possibly concentrate reading whilst cycling is beyond me...the beauty of multi-tasking eh :rolleyes:

Thanks to the person who negged my OP with "I don't like you". Rather amusing. Well, I don't like your mother and I had to use a plastic bag.

:rolleyes:

I agree with you, its more peaceful working out when its quieter and not a lot of people at the gym! I usually go in the mornings with my mum before work (summer job) but since she's not here now i have to go in the evenings which is much louder and only tonnes of bodybuilders (sorry not a fan!)

I usually run or walk at a very high pace for 30-40minute when I go to the gym, and I end up beetroot red in the face and I push myself more and more everytime... however, I do understand what you mean as some people don't push themselves at all and think that walking at a normal pace is exercise just cause its on a treadmill... but yeah just wanted to point out that not EVERYONE who walks on the treadmills are lazy bums who don't like exercise :p:

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I'm in the gym, which is usually 3x a week, I spot so few people working at what you'd call a decent intensity. There seems to be more people walking on the treadmills than running and I'm often the only one in there sweating profusely and breathing heavily - ie. really pushing myself. I don't know how people expect to gain anything, cardiovascularly, if all they're doing is working at a really low intensity.

Meh, am I missing something here? :confused:

Any of you relate to what I'm saying?
    BAHAHA u should see me at the gym it's literally raining under my chin.

ReputationRep:
    I always wondered why anyone would bother doing cardio at a gym for anything other than a warm up. There is pleanty of roads about to run or bike on for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    I always wondered why anyone would bother doing cardio at a gym for anything other than a warm up. There is pleanty of roads about to run or bike on for free
    I prefer the gym cause I like seeing how I push myself by running/walking 0.2km/h faster than yesterday, or having a 0.5 higher incline than the day before ... i jsut dont have that motivation when I go running outside, I've tried.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand why it matters to other people. Shouldn't all that matters when you go to the gym is how you work out?

I don't go to the gym anymore but when I did all I did was HIIT when I did cardio and then just strength stuff and tbh I took zero notice of how other people were working out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    The idea of bumping into pedestrians, slowing down because of pedestrians, waiting for traffic lights to turn green and generally not having much freedom with arms sends me to the treadmill.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainy)
    Probably because those "people working at what you'd call a decent intensity" tend to be out on track, road, or countryside.
    are you one of the scrotes that have just negged me?

ReputationRep:
    i like the effort put in by the one rather big guy who is wearing a grey t-shirt, and it's just soaked because of sweat. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by golder)
    The idea of bumping into pedestrians, slowing down because of pedestrians, waiting for traffic lights to turn green and generally not having much freedom with arms sends me to the treadmill.
    No fields about?

ReputationRep:
    Yer i've wondered this sometimes. But each to their own I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I've been going back to the gym for only a few weeks now, i used to enjoy running but i had an injury / had shin splints. After resting for 6 months or so it seems to have settled down and ive been fine to use the gym again.
    Cardio wise i usually have a slow jog for a few minutes, then move it up a bit for about 10 minutes, then up again for another 10 then jog again at the end slowing to a walk and finally some streching. If anytime i get cramp or a stitch i slow the machine down to a fast walk.
    I usually concentrate my efforts on the treadmill and cross trainer, i find the bike quite boring but i'll still go on it, and then finally the rowing machine for a bit.

I would like a bike so i could go out riding but cant afford one, £3 for the gym vs £150 for a bike. I also prefer to know how far i've ran / what pace im going at which is where the treadmill is useful.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt judge somebody unless you know their exact programme. Sometimes I do slower work 130-140HR for well over an hour, but I wouldnt count myself as a gym noob. Slower steady work has its benefits too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by golder)
    Get up at 4AM then you lazy bugger!! Gyms aren't for people to go onto a fancy hamster wheel or pedal away on a bike that goes no where.

It my opinion those machines attract the wrong sorts of clientel anyway. I get up at that time four times a week , and it's great no people about, and it's summer. There is no excuse to be doing cardio indoors right now.Girls might have an excuse because of all the pervs out there but blokes should not be doing cardio in a gym.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CapenCyber)
    Why do you care?
    This. Why do people seem to bother about what other people are doing, concentrate on your own workout and let others concentrate on theirs.

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I'm in the gym, which is usually 3x a week, I spot so few people working at what you'd call a decent intensity. There seems to be more people walking on the treadmills than running and I'm often the only one in there sweating profusely and breathing heavily - ie. really pushing myself. I don't know how people expect to gain anything, cardiovascularly, if all they're doing is working at a really low intensity.

Meh, am I missing something here? :confused:

Any of you relate to what I'm saying?

People are just TOO LAZY

ReputationRep:
    Ha yeah I see this! When I'm on the treadmill doing some HIIT and sprinting to death, the guy next to me's walking and watching TV

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ministerdonut)
    Get up at 4AM then you lazy bugger!! Gyms aren't for people to go onto a fancy hamster wheel or pedal away on a bike that goes no where.

It my opinion those machines attract the wrong sorts of clientel anyway. I get up at that time four times a week , and it's great no people about, and it's summer. There is no excuse to be doing cardio indoors right now.Girls might have an excuse because of all the pervs out there but blokes should not be doing cardio in a gym.
    4AM? Never.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.