Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

People doing cardio in gyms Watch

ReputationRep:
    depends, many reasons.

rare times I do cardio, I stick to 120 BPM

that isn't very "intense" cos I'm not going very fast, but it does the job.

ReputationRep:
    Yeahh theres a regular group of mainly females who come in do a bit of walking on the treadmill maybe the slowest job ever, a bit of cross training a bit of bike, they chat loads and then go home. Never see a drip of sweat. They might aswell not bother!

Personally during cardio i prefer to run outside or do interval training in a sports hall (shuttles/sprints/circuits) etc. Sitting on a treadmill is crapp. The only gym cardio i can condone are spinning classes, because they absolutely kill!

ReputationRep:
    I'm with the OP on this.

ReputationRep:
    The only time those people who float about a gym bother me is when the gym is very busy and they are hogging a machine doing f--- all...

ReputationRep:
    If they're only trying to lose weight there's actually no need for them to kill themselves on the crosstrainer/treadmill/bike. You can still burn calories, it just takes longer. In fact, a higher proportion of the calories burnt will be from fat stores if you exercise at a low intensity, so that could be seen as a plus. High intensity exercise requires you to increase your carb intake to avoid burnout, which makes it harder to lose weight.

Remember, hundreds of thousands of women reading Hello! Magazine on stationary bikes can't be wrong...

ReputationRep:
    I'm in both camps with this one. For some people, a walk is a very hard bit of cardio. I have trained people for whom walking up the stairs to the gym gets them out of breath! On the other side, yes there are a lot of people at my gym who read magazines and do naff all whilst on a bike going at 20rpm. End of the day, these people pay my wages, so I let them get on with it.

You will get the best results fat loss wise from high intensity circuit type stuff. Not everyone can mentally motivate themselves to do this though, and although its far from ideal, at least the hello readers are doing a little bit of exercise whilst reading as opposed to sitting on the couch at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ironmike)
    I'm in both camps with this one. For some people, a walk is a very hard bit of cardio. I have trained people for whom walking up the stairs to the gym gets them out of breath! On the other side, yes there are a lot of people at my gym who read magazines and do naff all whilst on a bike going at 20rpm. End of the day, these people pay my wages, so I let them get on with it.

You will get the best results fat loss wise from high intensity circuit type stuff. Not everyone can mentally motivate themselves to do this though, and although its far from ideal, at least the hello readers are doing a little bit of exercise whilst reading as opposed to sitting on the couch at home.
    Walking for an hour is not exercise. It's shopping.

If you count it at all, in any way, as part of your program ...well, I'll be disappointed.

ReputationRep:
    I use our treadmill until I'm out of breath and red-faced, but not dripping in sweat, just... sweaty. I don't sweat much anyway.

ReputationRep:
    crosstrainer hurts my legs so so much, like after 1 minute. It's ridiculous. Plus, my asthma unfortunately limits how hard I push myself, as sometimes if I push myself too much, I can't breathe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark Rippetoe)
    Walking for an hour is not exercise. It's shopping.

If you count it at all, in any way, as part of your program ...well, I'll be disappointed.
    Then you are taking no consideration of the fact that people vary massively in aerobic fitness. Walking on a treadmill for some of the members at my gym would have their heart through the roof and would be certainly pushing the anaerobic zone for large periods. To say that walking is not exercise is an incredibly narrow minded view.

Yes, some people do just mince along on the treadmills, but there are certainly some I see dripping in sweat and looking like death doing a fast walk.

ReputationRep:
    Always wondered this myself. I understand that some people may look healthy but can't jog/run on them for whatever reason. I see very few people coming off the treadmills looking like they've actually had a decent work-out (out of breathe/sweating) -- I know I do and I feel a bit out-of-place sometimes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sTe\/o)
    High intensity exercise requires you to increase your carb intake to avoid burnout, which makes it harder to lose weight.
    I exercise quite hard (I think!)... I go to the gym 5-6 times a week, and aim to do about 650 calories each day; usually 450cals on cross trainer (30 mins) and 200 on treadmill (15 mins). I then end off with some strength training.
    Would this be considered 'high intensity'?
    I am cutting down on calories as well in order to lose some weight (1400 calories a day); not increasing carb intake for my exercise.

Is what I'm doing slowing down the rate at which I lose weight?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sTe\/o)
    High intensity exercise requires you to increase your carb intake to avoid burnout, which makes it harder to lose weight.
    Dont really understand that, but completely wrong anyway.

ReputationRep:
    To be fair, I see just as many in-shape girls wearing £200 of designer gear with the treadmill set on "gentle walk" speed, as I see guys in the weight section standing and BS'ing for an hour. I go down, I run at the highest speed I can (about 7.5 on that machine for about 15 minutes), row for 10, bike for 5 (again, at the highest speed/resistance I can maintain). Then I do weights for 10-20 minutes. The same guys shooting the breeze as when I walked in are still there as I am leaving.

However, if that makes them happy, I won't stop them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Amelorn)
    To be fair, I see just as many in-shape girls wearing £200 of designer gear with the treadmill set on "gentle walk" speed, as I see guys in the weight section standing and BS'ing for an hour. I go down, I run at the highest speed I can (about 7.5 on that machine for about 15 minutes), row for 10, bike for 5 (again, at the highest speed/resistance I can maintain). Then I do weights for 10-20 minutes. The same guys shooting the breeze as when I walked in are still there as I am leaving.

However, if that makes them happy, I won't stop them.
    Hard-to-the-core!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Xtrm2Matt)
    Always wondered this myself. I understand that some people may look healthy but can't jog/run on them for whatever reason. I see very few people coming off the treadmills looking like they've actually had a decent work-out (out of breathe/sweating) -- I know I do and I feel a bit out-of-place sometimes!
    Yep - people actually look at me when I'm spinning or on the crosstrainer because I am miming the words to the music I'm listening to and going at it hard and clearly really pushing myself. Good thing I only notice people looking occasionally and at least I'm fit so it's not like they are laughing at me for being v crap.

But generally I don't sweat very much (even when I'm really really hot) and am very out of breath so don't rule that out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.