Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm currently in year 12 and hoping to study law at university in 2010. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to the law faculty open day and the college-specific ones are after the date by when I hope to have submitted my UCAS application!

I called Cambridge last week and I was advised to visit with a parent some time in the summer as that is all I could do, and they said that we would be welcome visitors. I was told to email too to ask for further advice but haven't got a reply yet... so I'm turning to TSR!

Could anybody please advise me on where to go and what to do, I know the faculty will be closed for everything bar administrative tasks (if I've been informed correctly) but I don't know what exactly I should do, besides taking a tour of the city and visiting a college if it's open.

Thanks so much, and will +rep (if you care lol).

ReputationRep:
    I think just trying to soak up the atmosphere will help you decide if it's for you. When I was down for the open day on my second day there I just spent time walking near the river. I also spent an hour in Kings College Chapel (I paid but it's free to prospective students apparently ). I fell in love with the place while there. All the open day gave me the opportunity to do was collect a few leaflets and stay over at a college-I didn't even look at the college I finally applied to so you've not missed out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leala4628)
    I think just trying to soak up the atmosphere will help you decide if it's for you. When I was down for the open day on my second day there I just spent time walking near the river. I also spent an hour in Kings College Chapel (I paid but it's free to prospective students apparently ). I fell in love with the place while there. All the open day gave me the opportunity to do was collect a few leaflets and stay over at a college-I didn't even look at the college I finally applied to so you've not missed out.
    Yeah, I did suspect it would be a case of soaking up the cultural atmosphere.

Thanks for reassuring me about the open day not being completely necessary - my dad seems to think that they pick out the students they want at the open days and the rest of the process is paper work. :p: I always knew it wasn't that important (obviously) but I do worry about missing such things.

Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    Most colleges will be free for you if you're a prospective student - so I would definitely recommend getting around as many colleges as possible. Access to certain areas may be a little restricted, but have a good look around, pick up an college prospectuses from the porters and just soak it all up. It helps when it comes to application time, because you can feel slightly less panicky, and will only want to choose between a couple of colleges instead of around 30
    Try and visit some of the local cafes, shops and bars, so that you can really get an idea of what life will be like when living there. Take a stroll up the river, and I'd definitely recommend a punt if it isn't too busy.
    Take a walk up to the Sidgewick sight so that you can see the faculty building and surrounding area, and why not visit the University library as well, although there will be very little need to go there often. There may be some concerts going on at the time, so have a check out on google, see what's going on. Other than that, just have a good stroll and enjoy your day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    Yeah, I did suspect it would be a case of soaking up the cultural atmosphere.

Thanks for reassuring me about the open day not being completely necessary - my dad seems to think that they pick out the students they want at the open days and the rest of the process is paper work. :p: I always knew it wasn't that important (obviously) but I do worry about missing such things.

Thanks again.
    As stated above, and just to confirm, you really didn't miss much on the open days except perhaps the opportunity to look round some accommodation - although if you ask the porters nice they may have a room free... i don't know though - and you could always check out the website, universityrooms because they allow you to stay in certain colleges in cambridge for a couple of nights, at a lower price than most hotels - and this may help you soak up the atmosphere, whilst staying very central.

ReputationRep:
    Hi there,

I'm currently in year 12 and hoping to study law at university in 2010. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it to the law faculty open day and the college-specific ones are after the date by when I hope to have submitted my UCAS application!

I called Cambridge last week and I was advised to visit with a parent some time in the summer as that is all I could do, and they said that we would be welcome visitors. I was told to email too to ask for further advice but haven't got a reply yet... so I'm turning to TSR!

Could anybody please advise me on where to go and what to do, I know the faculty will be closed for everything bar administrative tasks (if I've been informed correctly) but I don't know what exactly I should do, besides taking a tour of the city and visiting a college if it's open.

Thanks so much, and will +rep (if you care lol).
    If you're up between the 21st and the 24th July (and around in the early evening) Town Bumps is on. It's between 5 and 9 in the evening and it's a great spectator event (basically people in rowing eights trying to crash into each other).

Although it won't feature any students, the university bumps are a pretty big part of student life.

ReputationRep:
    Go to that fudge shop :coma:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gingerrama)
    Go to that fudge shop :coma:
    You really must go for the free samples

The Eagle

ReputationRep:
    So much to do!! Thanks for the replies though.

I'll try and visit as many colleges as possible and the supposedly amazing fudge shop - shame I can't share it around with you guys.

ReputationRep:
    my dad seems to think that they pick out the students they want at the open days and the rest of the process is paper work. :p:
    :facepalm: Shove a prospectus at your Father and tell him he's not qualified to offer an opinion until he's read it cover to cover :shifty:

Anyway, at least you haven't been corrupted, so its all good...

Anyway, why not print out a map of the town centre. There are probably fairly useful ones on the University website.

I'm not a massive Downing fan myself, but apparently its popular for Law. So the entrance to Downing College is on Regent street. If you carry on up Regent street you get to Emmanuel college on your right. Carry on past Emmanuel you get to Christs. Take the left fork after Christs and wonder past all the shops and you get to Sidney Sussex on the right. Carry on and you get to Magdalene college just after the bridge. (Alternatively just after you leave Sidney Sussex turn right on Jesus Lane to get to Jesus College which is tucked away)
    This is pretty much a straight road btw. After Magdalene, turn back down the road but this time turn right on Trinity Lane. First big college you see is St Johns, then Trinity, Gonville and Caius. Turn right at Caius down Senate Passage and you get to Clare and Trinity Hall. If you carry on straight after Caius you walk out onto Kings Parade and see Kings College on your right. Carry on ahead and Kings Parade turns into Trumpington street with Corpus Christi on your left, St Catherine's on your right, Pembroke on your left, Peterhouse on your right.

I've left out all the slightly newer colleges on the other side of the Backs. But this would be a fairly easy circular route crammed with the (supposedly) prettier oldest colleges.

Alternatively spend a bit of time looking at colleges on the website, or individual college websites, and narrow it down to maybe five. Then just go to each of those and explain that you're an applicant and have a good wander round. Obviously you'll be able to see more of them if you're more focused. Any college will admit you if you go to the Porters and explain you're a prospective applicant. They'll probably have handy copies of college prospectuses lying around for you.

Law Faculty is worth looking at as its quite nice. Colleges near it if you want to combine things are Robinson, Selwyn, Queens... I'll presume you're not interested in Newnham :p:

The fudge shop is on Kings Parade facing the college. And don't worry I walk past it all the time :p: Personally I'd say that Fitzbillies bakery on Trumpington street (by St Catz and Pembroke) is much more worthwhile than the fudge shop :dontknow: But why not both :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    :facepalm: Shove a prospectus at your Father and tell him he's not qualified to offer an opinion until he's read it cover to cover :shifty:

Anyway, at least you haven't been corrupted, so its all good...

Anyway, why not print out a map of the town centre. There are probably fairly useful ones on the University website.

I'm not a massive Downing fan myself, but apparently its popular for Law. So the entrance to Downing College is on Regent street. If you carry on up Regent street you get to Emmanuel college on your right. Carry on past Emmanuel you get to Christs. Take the left fork after Christs and wonder past all the shops and you get to Sidney Sussex on the right. Carry on and you get to Magdalene college just after the bridge. (Alternatively just after you leave Sidney Sussex turn right on Jesus Lane to get to Jesus College which is tucked away)
    This is pretty much a straight road btw. After Magdalene, turn back down the road but this time turn right on Trinity Lane. First big college you see is St Johns, then Trinity, Gonville and Caius. Turn right at Caius down Senate Passage and you get to Clare and Trinity Hall. If you carry on straight after Caius you walk out onto Kings Parade and see Kings College on your right. Carry on ahead and Kings Parade turns into Trumpington street with Corpus Christi on your left, St Catherine's on your right, Pembroke on your left, Peterhouse on your right.

I've left out all the slightly newer colleges on the other side of the Backs. But this would be a fairly easy circular route crammed with the (supposedly) prettier oldest colleges.

Alternatively spend a bit of time looking at colleges on the website, or individual college websites, and narrow it down to maybe five. Then just go to each of those and explain that you're an applicant and have a good wander round. Obviously you'll be able to see more of them if you're more focused. Any college will admit you if you go to the Porters and explain you're a prospective applicant. They'll probably have handy copies of college prospectuses lying around for you.

Law Faculty is worth looking at as its quite nice. Colleges near it if you want to combine things are Robinson, Selwyn, Queens... I'll presume you're not interested in Newnham :p:

The fudge shop is on Kings Parade facing the college. And don't worry I walk past it all the time :p: Personally I'd say that Fitzbillies bakery on Trumpington street (by St Catz and Pembroke) is much more worthwhile than the fudge shop :dontknow: But why not both :p:
    Thanks a million for taking the time to write that out for me, I've printed off your advice and I'll certainly be using it tomorrow. :yep:

And yeah, I've read the prospectus and spent like 100 hours on the Cambridge websites (colleges and faculties) which seems to go on and on! Though nothing beats a first-hand visit which is the rationale for this trip out tomorrow.

Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    And yeah, I've read the prospectus and spend like 100 hours on the Cambridge websites (colleges and faculties) which seems to go on and on! Though nothing beats a first-hand visit which is the rationale for this trip out tomorrow.

Thanks again.
    Oh good. Well in that case just skip out the colleges you're not that interested in obviously, otherwise you'll run out of time. You should be able to see quite a few, but they will all blur into one if you try and cram too many in.

ReputationRep:
    I really wouldn't bother with King's. I tried to visit them last August and the staff were extremely unhelpful. I think they thought I was a tourist trying to save money.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arrogant Git)
    If you're up between the 21st and the 24th July (and around in the early evening) Town Bumps is on. It's between 5 and 9 in the evening and it's a great spectator event (basically people in rowing eights trying to crash into each other).

Although it won't feature any students, the university bumps are a pretty big part of student life.
    Fadetoblackout and scarlet ibis are participating :awesome: I might go along to watch seeing as I ran out of time during Bumps and still don't know what it looks like :erm:

ReputationRep:
    if you still feel you need to go to an open day, there are more in september, see
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde.../calendar.html
    although they are primarily college open days many have college-based subject specific things going on

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.