Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Acne - Antibiotics arent helping =( Watch

Hey guys
    Basically I've had acne for a few years now and about a year ago I got so fed up with it that I went to my GP. I was prescribed with Oxytetracyclin which didnt do much good, then moved onto Erythromycin which was slightly better and I am now on Flucloxacillin with Zineryt solution.
    Although the acne is now better than it was origionally, I still have a good number of spots on my face and I still get pretty big outbreaks. Any advice on the next step?

Thanks

how long have you been taking them? i didn't really see results from Oxytetracycline until about 4 months in.

(Original post by Dr Zeuss™)
    how long have you been taking them? i didn't really see results from Oxytetracycline until about 4 months in.
    I took oxytetracyclin for around 5 months. Like I said its better but still pretty bad. Im aware that theres not going to be an antibiotic that magically cures it overnight though =/

ReputationRep:
    Ask your GP to refer you to a Dermatologist at the local hospital so that they can perscribe you roaccutane. My sister used roaccutane and her acne was completely gone in 2-3 months, no joke. Just push for it and your GP should get you the appointment.

Thanks guys, I've got an appointment for tomorrow so I'll see what I can do.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I took oxytetracyclin for around 5 months. Like I said its better but still pretty bad. Im aware that theres not going to be an antibiotic that magically cures it overnight though =/
    You could always try some natural remedies. acne.org has some excellent resources and a forum, and the users are pretty knowledgable on everything related to acne such as diet, topicals, natural remedies and exercise.

if all else fails you could go back to the docs and ask for something else.

ReputationRep:
    there are two factors to acne.

number one the clogged pores and number two the bacteria that infects the clogged pores.

pores can be clogged by anything really but most commonly will come from teenagers having greasy, oily skin, although the antibiotics will kill the bacteria, they dont prevent the pores getting clogged and then when met with bacteria externally can cause more acne.

carry on with the antibiotics but push for something topical to deal with the blocked pores, a retinoid is what you need. ask for somthing weaker to begin with like Differin or Aczone, then move up to Retin-A or Tazorac if you need to.

if your still having problems after this then Roaccutane is your best option, itook it a year ago for 6 months im not 6 months post-tane and it has changed my life. the 6 months on it however were the hardest of my life so be warned.

one final option ive heard of people having success is n-lite laser, this is very expensive though will cost you nearly £1000 and is a risk as no guarantee it will work for you.,

best of luck, keep going and one day you'll be clear

ReputationRep:
    I've been using Zineryt for 2 months now and at first, I think it took about 1 month in to start seeing results. But I asked my doc to combine it with Oxytetracycline and now 1 month in with both, my acne is ALOOOOOOOOOOOOT better, I only ever have one or 2 v small spots now at any moment in time ...... but scars are terrible :/

Do they go?

ReputationRep:
    Push for accutane! PUSH PUSH PUSH! It's the strongest acne med and it worked wonders for me.

Pre-accutane;

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1247735004

Post-accutane;

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1247735028

My treatment lasted about 6 months, some side effects but worth it in the end. I do have some scarring and marks but they fade with time. I was disappointed when I finished my treatment but a few weeks later my skin increased rapidly when off the tablets! Haven't had a new spot come up in a month now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ygg)
    Push for accutane! PUSH PUSH PUSH! It's the strongest acne med and it worked wonders for me.

Pre-accutane;

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1247735004

Post-accutane;

http://i305.photobucket.com/albums/n...g?t=1247735028

My treatment lasted about 6 months, some side effects but worth it in the end. I do have some scarring and marks but they fade with time. I was disappointed when I finished my treatment but a few weeks later my skin increased rapidly when off the tablets! Haven't had a new spot come up in a month now.
    WOOOOOOOW, what a difference! :yep:

Amazing, but I think the antibiotics are working for me, only have one tiny spot at the mo :o:

And also, are the scars the reddish marks you get when you have a spot and it leaves? Do those marks leave after a while? Or are they not scars at all?

:eek:

I took it for over 6 months and it made no difference.

Tbh it takes a while. I was a bit like this, I've been on the majority of treatments for acne available, minus roccutine [or tain (sp?)] It takes at least 6 months of treatment to improve the condition, but that really does depend on the severity of it. I saw very little improvement on my treatments over years, and finaly when I was 17 they started clearing when I went on dianette. I started treatment when I was 11.

Keep going and if a treatment has no improvemnt after 6 months, go back to your GP and try another treatment until you find one that works for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopelessly Hopeful)
    WOOOOOOOW, what a difference! :yep:

Amazing, but I think the antibiotics are working for me, only have one tiny spot at the mo :o:

And also, are the scars the reddish marks you get when you have a spot and it leaves? Do those marks leave after a while? Or are they not scars at all?
    http://www.skincarephysicians.com/acnenet/scarring.html

Stuff like that really! Mine is very faint but I apply cocoa butter which helps blend "unattractive marks and scars"

I tried everything, creams, anti-biotics for about 3 years before finally going on accutane and that worked within 6 months, feels like I've wasted years of my life!

ReputationRep:
    You could always try some natural remedies. acne.org has some excellent resources and a forum, and the users are pretty knowledgable on everything related to acne such as diet, topicals, natural remedies and exercise.

if all else fails you could go back to the docs and ask for something else.
    How long ago where you on oxytetracycline? Can you please go into a little more detail as to how it improved through the months etc?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ygg)
    http://www.skincarephysicians.com/acnenet/scarring.html

Stuff like that really! Mine is very faint but I apply cocoa butter which helps blend "unattractive marks and scars"

I tried everything, creams, anti-biotics for about 3 years before finally going on accutane and that worked within 6 months, feels like I've wasted years of my life!
    Aaah, I don't have scars then just these:

'' Macules or "pseudo-scars" are flat, red or reddish spots that are the final stage of most inflamed acne lesions. After an inflamed acne lesion flattens, a macule may remain to "mark the spot" for up to 6 months. When the macule eventually disappears, no trace of it will remain—unlike a scar.''

Explains how a lot have just disappeared on their own recently :o:

I have quite sensitive skin and cocoa butter irritates unfortunately

oxytetracyline did nothing for me aswell
    i need to see my doctor again

although it might be my diet, it's quite poor !

(Original post by Loz17)
    :eek:

I took it for over 6 months and it made no difference.
    yeah, my acne wasn't that severe and it was on my back and chest which might have made a difference. i had also changed my diet and cut out junk food and fizzy drinks which may have helped.

(Original post by Hopelessly Hopeful)
    How long ago where you on oxytetracycline? Can you please go into a little more detail as to how it improved through the months etc?
    I had stopped taking it in May approx 6 months after i had started taking it. Roughly, i started taking it in Decemember and until March i had saw little difference apart from the disappearance of a couple of spots, which would soon be replaced by new ones.

Soon after March the spot were slowly clearing up until about April when they had completely cleared apart from maybe one or two cysts which had gone by May.

Sorry if it's a bit vague. :o:

(Original post by Anonymous)
    oxytetracyline did nothing for me aswell
    i need to see my doctor again

although it might be my diet, it's quite poor !
    I'm a believer that diet does have an effect of acne. I had taken oxytetracyline about a year ago for about 4 months and saw no results and got frustrated and gave up.

It wasn't until last Decemember when i started taking it again and changed my diet and started doing more excercise. I completely cut out milk and dairy from my diet (i usually had soya milk if i wanted cereal, etc), i cut out junk food and coke (i was drinking two cans a day) and drank more water and ate more vegetable and fruit and now im virtually clear of spots.

ReputationRep:
    Hey you should look into Benzoyl peroxide, it's really good! I tried antibiotics and all the usual stuff but no success. :mad: But when I stated using Benzoyl peroxide all my acne was pretty much gone in about 5 weeks! You can buy it from your chemist, I really recommend it! :top:

ReputationRep:
    I tried Benzoyl and it too didnt work. I have decided tho however that I think I have a hormone imbalance. I get dizzy spells, upset stomach, indigestion, spots that are painful, greasy skin, tiredness etc. This all comes on gradually about 2 weeks before my period, then the week before its TERRIBLE and the day I get my period it all starts to go away! grrr I came off the pill over a year ago and my periods are dead heavey now... what to do?? what to do?

OP maybe you should find out if its a deep cause like your hormones or your thiroyd (SP)

ReputationRep:
    Benzoyl didn't work for me either.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 17, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.