Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Right, i go to the gym 4 times a week. Recently i have been focusing on strength, but i am going to start going to the gym in the morning to do cardio, mainly to lose that little body fat i have. Few questions though:
    1. I have heard that i should do cardio on an empty stomach for best results in the morning. Yes or no?
    2. Should i do running, cycling etc or cross trainer, rowing machine etc

THanks!!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I have heard that in order to lose weight the step machine burns the most calories, however, I go for a weekly 10km run on a Friday.

I would never recommend exercising in general on an empty stomach, never mind doing cardio on one. You rarely, if ever, hear of athletes that don't eat before running etc.

However, I have heard it is best to eat an hour before doing any exercise. And not to eat cheese before exercising.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RNBen)
    I have heard that in order to lose weight the step machine burns the most calories, however, I go for a weekly 10km run on a Friday.
    You heard wrong.

I would never recommend exercising in general on an empty stomach, never mind doing cardio on one. You rarely, if ever, hear of athletes that don't eat before running etc.
    There's nothing wrong with exercising on an empty stomach, provided it's a reasonable distance. On the "if ever"... one two three at a stroke.

ReputationRep:
    You can run before breakfast, with regards fat loss, both exercise and breakfast start your metabolism going for the day, so it makes little odds. There have been reports suggesting both, though these vary in accuracy and methodology - it depends when you're getting up too, and when you went to bed, etc etc.

As for what TYPE of cardio, I'm biased as I run. Whatever you do, you're gonna want to get breakfast down your neck immediately after (if you choose to exercise first). Running and cycling would be more conducive to doing from home, so you can roll out of bed and put the time in, coming back to a breakfast straight away. Ultimately though, do what feels best/most enjoyable.

ReputationRep:
    I never exercise on an empty stomach - I would be hungry and have no energy. Even if I go in the morning I have a banana 40 mins before and it's perfect.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.