Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think I'll get my money back? Watch

ReputationRep:
    DELETE
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Taking your case to the ECtHR is a bit over the top; the company hasn't breached any of your human rights and even if they had you can't just go straight to the European Court. I really don't think you have any case here; the terms and conditions which you have agreed to clearly state that you're not entitled to a refund under certain circumstances and you can't now go back on that contract merely because it suits you. I'm guessing that "Institutio Hemmingway" is a foreign business so you can't even rely on the Consumer Transactions Order. You could get some independent legal advice but it's probably not worth the hassle.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think you have a case- you were the one who chose to leave, they didn't throw you out and keep your money...and it does state in the ts&cs....so, no I don't think you are likely to and too right as well-somebody else could have taken your place but instead it is empty...

ReputationRep:
    DELETE

ReputationRep:
    DELETE

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orangeboy)
    What a very ignorant post this was. Leaving was not as easy option. I am depressed and suffer from anxiety, I was incapable of doing the placement in the first place. I thought it would help me but it didn't.

There is a HUGE difference between one that just left because they don't like it and one that has a perfectly valid reason, an exceptional reason. That is my point.
    The reason for your dropping out is not the company's concern. They need to make their money and at the end of the day they aren't going to refund you when somebody else could have had that place and paid for it too.

ReputationRep:
    Could I go to the European Court of human rights or even ask them again and try persuade them to give me back my money?
    I LOLed.

ReputationRep:
    DELETE
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Thanks for the reply.

But the thing is they only tell me about the terms of this after the event.... and the options they consider for those who don't like the placement would not work for me because I could not face up to the first placement.

I think there is a case for breaching my human rights. I have depresison and they have not taken this into account at all. They have not reasoned with me and making it a whole lot worse. I got out of the placement as quickly as possible to avoid any costs to them. I just want my monye back. I have received no service from them.
    In which case you haven't agreed to the terms and conditions and so they are not legally binding. This is a particularly important point and something which you should bring to Hemmingway's attention.

There are a wide range of EU consumer protection laws which protect people in cases where the specific terms of a contract create an imbalance of rights between you (the consumer) and the supplier of a product/service. On a very technical point, the fact that you were only entitled to a transfer and not a partial or full refund might be something for you to pursue as an unfair term of the contract. This is, however, timely and costly and as I've already said, will probably not be worthwhile - you certainly do not have any case on human rights grounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I LOLed.
    ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    DELETE

ReputationRep:
    ignorant.
    Shows your ignorance with that comment.

"The European Court of Human Rights (ECtHR) (French: Cour européenne des droits de l’homme) in Strasbourg is an international judicial body established under the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR) of 1950 to monitor respect of human rights by states."

The ECtHR does not deal with cases against private companies. but thanks for the (worthless) neg rep.

ReputationRep:
    DELETE
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Firsly, thanks for being straight forward and helpful.

I think I will attempt to right a carefully written email to them and attempt to get at least a partial amout back. Do you think it would benefit me if I got my my doctor to prove my depression, by writing a letter or something?
    Probably not, like I said, if you have any case at all it probably hinges upon a very technical aspect of consumer protection law - unfortunately I don't think your health will make much difference to your case at all.

ReputationRep:
    You attepted to make fun out of the situation instead of either being helpful.

the neg rep is well deserved because instead of informing me politely you deserved to be funny about it. well done.
    I made fun out of your ignorance, because it amused me. If you are so easily upset my people poking fun at your lack of knowledge, i expect you're heading for a miserable future.

Why inform you polietly when I an both inform you and entertain myself at the same time? its win win.

ReputationRep:
    BTW, I have seen you've neg repped me too, I'm not interested in that here though, so play your games with that somewhere else and lets get back to the discussion in hand.
    Sorry mate, wasnt me who negged you. And i'll prove it come midnight with a neg rep actually coming from me. Just to prove the first wasnt me, of corse

ReputationRep:
    DELETE

ReputationRep:
    DELETE

ReputationRep:
    DELETE

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, I don't think ou can as it was in their terms and conditions. However maybe you could go back now? Why don't you ask about that?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.