Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think I'll get my money back? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orangeboy)
    Dear me, some people eh.
    At least some people actually know what they are talking about before proclaiming others as 'ignorant'.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for letting me know that I misunderstood what the ECHR actually does, not if you haven't got anything else to add that will inform me of my situation, then just go.
    Ive got something to add:

You will not get any of your money back. You cancelled the service without warning and once it had already begun. The company is under absoloutly no legal requirements to offer you a refund.

there you go

ReputationRep:
    Good will gestures.
    Good will gesture?! To encourage others to drop out of their scheme whenever they want so they can get a refund as well?

Theres no need for a good will gesture here at all, infact giving one would most likely hurt their future returns.

ReputationRep:
    Stop asking amateurs on a student forum and take proper legal advice from a solicitor who knows spanish law.

ReputationRep:
    No, I believed I was capable of doing it, of course I believed it. I wouldn't of signed up if I didn't think otherwise. I had depression but believed this would of helped, would of done me wonders.

I was unable to complete as it made my depression even worse and I felt extreme anxiety, it was irrational for a sane person but one with depression and a mental health state like this, it was the only thing to do - to leave that is.

I signed up for the placement in January this year, depressed yes, but more mild than now. As it got worse, I believed the placement would benefit me more than hinder me. I grant that it may look down on me that I didn't give it long enough but at that time, I was anxious and very depressed, I had to leave. lso, may I add, I did not know about the refund situation nor the 2 week thing, I wasn't told none of this.

Things may have improved, you're right but at that time, at that moment, my head told me I had to get out of there. It sounds irrational to you, I understand that, but someone who suffers from anxiety ad depression, my head told me to get out of there I couldn't face it. It felt like the worst thing in the world. This is what anxiety makes you feel.

To the 'normal' people - irrational and stupid, I know it looks like that but someone with such condition, it doesnt feel stupid.

I did mention I had anxiety as well and that builds up considerable in any stressful situation.
    Surely you're on AD's to help suppress the anxiety and depression?

As well, I think it was very unwise of you to sign a contract without reading the terms and conditions thoroughly. On the piece of paper you signed, did it say that by signing it, you agree to the terms and contitions? Even so I don't think you will get your money back and if you try to it will cost you more in legal representation than the money you paid. I'd just put it down to experience and move on. Perhaps find a job and get some counselling for your depression and anxiety.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, that is right, one piece of paper. That is all I signed. If did not have any terms and cons assigned to it at all. They are hidden on their website, I have viewed them now but had not been informed of them at all before this.
    They are not "hidden" as you seem to suggest, if this is the correct website http://www.institutohemingway.com/index.asp Then about halfway down the page on the left hand side it clearly says "Conditions of Service" and the following is present therein:

2. Cancellations
    Cancellations will only be accepted that are irrefutably expressed to us through the means of fax, email, letter or telegram:

* Spanish courses: cancellations will be effective only if we are informed of the decision at least 4 weeks before the course is due to commence and they will carry a 100 euro cancellation fee. In each case, those participants that notify us of a cancellation before the start of the course will be able to put the course on hold and undertake it within a period of up to a year afterwards.
    * All other programs: cancellations will be effective only if we are informed of the decision at least 4 weeks before the course is due to commence and they will mean the loss of 50% of the paid-up price.

Cancellations are only accepted when made formally by fax, e-mail, by mail or telegram.

3. Withdrawals
    If a student withdraws from the program once it has begun, any payment previously made will not be refunded. Those participants undertaking the main Spanish course will be able to save what's left of their course and recommence within a period of up to a year afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Good will gestures.
    :confused: Good will gestures are given by the company for something they did; not something the consumer did.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.