Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

are electric wizard the best doom band? watch

ReputationRep:
    do you think this ? or if not who else do you think ? any doom allowed , candlemass and saint vitus pretty close for me aswell. i doubt anyone on here even knows any of these bands , what a waste of time lol hopefully there will be some people who know stuff about music out there

ReputationRep:
    I've been listening to Dopethrone quite a bit this last week. Good album.

ReputationRep:
    Noooo.... Khanate.

ReputationRep:
    Funeralopolis is one of my all-time favourite tracks. Ridiculously heavy.

ReputationRep:
    The Wizard are pretty good. But I don't listen to doom so much these days so probably not one to judge.

ReputationRep:
    GUYS GUYS GUYS.

Black Sabbath are the best Doom band around. I don't know why this is even a point of discussion, even Jus said in a Interview he'd want to be as good as Sabbath. Iommi will be often imitated, but never NEVER bettered.

Apart from that, I'd have to throw in with Yob/Black Pyramid/Saint Vitus and I guess EW for the better doom bands. Though I will say, Dopethrone is praised irrationally. Come My Fanatics and Let Us Pray are the ones which represented real shifts within Doom, Dopethrone just gets too much hype like Sleep.

ReputationRep:
    I raise you're claim of Sleep getting too much praise and look back over your post and see the words Black Sabbath being mentioned... but that's just my opinion. :P

The new YOB album is pretty good, for the record.

ReputationRep:
    Word, the new Yob is great. Real pleased they got back togethor.

As to Black Sabbath being praised sure they get alot of praise, but considering Sleep really did not do anything new it's a travesty to place them to Sabbath who defined a genre (Doom), made contributions to Heavy Metal with Dio years and songs like 'Symptom Of The Universe' 'Sabbath, Bloody Sabbath' 'Supernaut' and 'Under The Sun' would of changed the musical outlook of Rock music for generations to come. You can find linage from Sabbath in Indie bands, Death Metal bands, Hip-Hop beats. So if anything, I don't think they get nearly enough praise.

Especially whenever they do it's some classic rock guy going on about Paranoid.

ReputationRep:
    Eh, I don't really take any of that into consideration - I like what I hear, and I much prefer to listen to Sleep then I do Black Sabbath at the end of the day. I guess I can be glad for what people say they might have done to some bands upcomings but looking over my music taste as a whole, I'd say it may of affected maybe 1% percent of what I listen to, but who knows!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, still. Sleep are a two album band, Sabbath on the other hand have 6-8 Albums that should receive consideration, so it's a completely different beast.

Still.. Sleep, I really don't get the hype. I don't think another 5 years will help either.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of heavily Sabbath influenced doom bores me, especially the old stuff.

Electric Wizard are alright like, but they're too stoner to be the best doom band imo. Not that I have a better alternative.

ReputationRep:
    Disembowelment made the best doom metal album ever in my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    bump

doooooooooom
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szMFNyxt-jU

ReputationRep:
    and some more....
    http://www.last.fm/music/Fleshpress/...of+Nothingness

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.