Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did she know I was there as she was dying? Watch

ReputationRep:
    My grandma had been sick for a while, she was in the hospital suffering and finally left us forever yesterday. When I got to the hospital yesterday for my weekly visit, everyone was in the hallways crying. I walk in and my grandma had a very peaceful look on her face (usually she was whinning in pain) I went up to her rubbed her arm and said hi but she couldnt talk, and her eyes were blank. 5 minutes later as I was still beside her I seen her take her last breaths.

Im wondering if she knew I was there, if she knew anyone was there. Why did she have a blank look to her face, how come she couldnt talk?

ReputationRep:
    I'm very sorry to hear about your loss.

I don't think anyone could tell you for sure but I think you can safely say that she was in peace and would likely have been aware of her family around her... and I think she'd have liked that - i'm sure it meant a lot to her for you to be there with her. :console:

(Original post by xobeauty)
    My grandma had been sick for a while, she was in the hospital suffering and finally left us forever yesterday. When I got to the hospital yesterday for my weekly visit, everyone was in the hallways crying. I walk in and my grandma had a very peaceful look on her face (usually she was whinning in pain) I went up to her rubbed her arm and said hi but she couldnt talk, and her eyes were blank. 5 minutes later as I was still beside her I seen her take her last breaths.

Im wondering if she knew I was there, if she knew anyone was there. Why did she have a blank look to her face, how come she couldnt talk?
    I had a similar experience and if she was concious at the time then yes she would of known you was there

ReputationRep:
    There's a strong chance she could hear or feel your touch but couldn't respond, depending on her condition. Even if she couldn't, she will have know you were thinking of her and there for her over the previous weeks. If you believe in the afterlife she'll know now!

She was literally dying, she just starting shutting down slowly. She isn't going to die out of the blue, it takes a while for the body to deteriate so she wouldn't be in a normal state of mind.

Hope that makes sense.

RIP for your grandma.

ReputationRep:
    I'm really sorry for your loss, I hope you and your family are coping.

I couldn't say if she knew or not, she could have been drifting in and out of consciousness, that often happens when people are very ill. Quite often people just don't have the energy to speak when they are that sick, and if they are under a lot of pain medication, quite often they do just fall asleep. From the sound of things she was more relaxed that she'd been for some time, so she probably left you's in the best state possible. Again, I hope you all are okay.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear about your loss.
    I believe that the brain is the final organ that shuts down, and depending on your grandma's condition she could've been conscious of your presence but without the ability to respond.

ReputationRep:
    I would think she knew you were there. I'm sure she knew everyone was there, loving ehr. I'm really sorry for your loss but know that she will no longer suffer. The blank look would have just ment that she was relaxed and because she would have been quite weak, it would have taken too much energy to speak. She would have been holding on to that in her last moments.

:console: You should be proud of yourself. It takes a lot of guts to watch someone you love so much go through that, but it would haven ment a lot to her.

Her body was shutting down. Hearing is supposed to be the last sense to go so she may well have heard you saying hi.

ReputationRep:
    There is no reason as to why she wouldnt know you where there with her, and im sure it was something she would have loved to have her family around her in her last minutes i dont think anyone can ask for anymore really. You obviously loved her alot, im sorry for your loss. Keep your good memories and happy times you had with her, with you.

ReputationRep:

When my grandma was on in a very bad way we went to see her, in a very similar situation to you. I'll always remember being sat on the corner of her bed holding her hand, and how she squeezed it back a little bit before she eventually died. She was suffering from a lot of things, she had dementia and she didn't know who I was by the end. But I know it made me and the rest of my family feel a lot better knowing she wasn't alone and we were there for her. She'll have known that too.

Your grandma was concious right? So she'll have know you where there. It would have meant a lot to her I'm sure :console:

ReputationRep:
    I don't have anything to say really, never experienced the death of a relative before but I just read the thread and wanted to say sorry for your loss. :hug:

Probably better she didn't. If she was unconscious and unaware she wouldn't be suffering. She knows you love her regardless of whether she knows you were there or not.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know if she was even concious, it didnt even seem like it. Her eyes were open staring at one spot. Like some of you said, I think her body was just shutting down. And im such an idiot, i just said "hi" didnt even tell her who it was.

ReputationRep:
    My Mum died from cancer last year.
    The day she died, she had loads of visitors coming and going throughout the whole day, friends, family, people who hadn't seen her for ages. Nurses fussing around her. It was like a circus.

She held on til about 9pm, after everyone else had gone home and most of the nurses on the ward had finished for the night. When she died it was just me and my sister sitting by either side of the bed. I'm pretty sure that a person has some control over when they die - in my mum's case the timing seemed too perfect to just be chance. If it had happened at any other time me and my sis wouldn't have been able to say a proper goodbye.

They do say that hearing is the last sense to go, so you should take confidence in the fact that your grandma knew of your presence. When I saw my Mum die I didn't know what to expect, screams, coughing, gasping for breath, I imagined it all....but in actual fact it was one of the most peaceful things I've ever seen. I'm sure you know exactly what I'm talking about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kates:))
    I don't have anything to say really, never experienced the death of a relative before but I just read the thread and wanted to say sorry for your loss. :hug:
    Thank you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Is cheesecake a cake?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.