Turn on thread page Beta

Putting on weight - advice needed watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I'll keep it brief. I want to put some weight on as I'm not happy with how some parts of my body look, in particular my ribs are quite prominent between my breasts. I want any suggestion/advice on how to put on weight healthily. Let me know if you need any more info, I'm new to all this.

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    I hear switching to full-fat milk is a good place to start.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Eat more wholegrain carbs like brown rice and wholegrain bread. Eat more protein as well.

ReputationRep:
    Eat more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sophistress)
    Hi! I'll keep it brief. I want to put some weight on as I'm not happy with how some parts of my body look, in particular my ribs are quite prominent between my breasts. I want any suggestion/advice on how to put on weight healthily. Let me know if you need any more info, I'm new to all this.

Cheers.
    1) Lift heavy weights.
    2) Eat more. Particularly protein.
    I'm in the same position as you. Good luck with your goals

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chevman)
    Obviously lift heavy weight so as to stimulate you to drink plenty of fluids and eat more,these works for me.Against what some forumites have told you,don't drink any milk with fat level over 5 percent,it'll most likely have negative side effects on.
    Bog standard full fat milk is 4% fat.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks everyone. I've written everything down!

ReputationRep:
    Hi!

About 1.5 years ago I was in the same position as you are. I weighed 47kg at 167cm, and I have a very small narrow frame thanks to my Asian descent. I now weigh 53kg (I think, last time I checked) and I no longer look like the wind would blow me away.

How did I do it?

1. Pick a safe, solid weight lifting routine that is suitable for beginners. I used the one from Stronglifts (google it)
    At first I found it rather intimidating and scary not having even touched a single barbell before, but I got used to it. I love it now, I always get compliments from the guys in the gym about my good form

2. Eat more OFTEN, and eat CLEAN! I cannot stress this enough. 3 meals a day is not enough. Try to eat 4-6 meals a day. Personally, I eat 5 times a day, with 3 main meals and 2 snacks. I decreased my portions of pasta, white rice, bread and increased my protein intake by eating beef, fish, lamb, chicken, cottage cheese and eggs. Also don't forget your veggies and fruits! Nuts are a great snack, too. My favourites are walnuts and brazil nuts.

3. Do a conditioning routine once or twice a week. Some people run, some people sprint, some people even do dedicated conditioning circuits which include exercises such as burpees, squat jumps and other crazy stuff! I alternate between running on the treadmill and using the elliptical trainer. I do these after my weightlifting. I started at 15mins, then the next week I'll try 20mins, then 25mins and so on. There's a million ways to do conditioning, but stick to one that you'd be consistent with.

If you have any questions feel free to ask

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.