Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    OK, so I'm getting an ultrasound tomorrow in the pelvic region and in the upper abdomen and I was wondering, why are they doing a scan in the upper ab region if all the doc wants is to see if I have polycistc ovarian syndrome?

ReputationRep:
    That's just what its called to differentiate it from a pregnancy one I think.

Make sure you're absolutely dieing for a wee or it just won't work, it was awful cause it presses down and you just want to pee right there.

My bladder wasn't big enough and they had to do an internal ultrasound examination.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok. I was starting to get worried because the doc never mentioned the upper ab although I did mention a lot of pain in the upper ab.

I'm taking a bottle of water with me. I need to want to pee? Why?

ReputationRep:
    I had this. You need to drink 2 litres of water about an hour before you go and take water with you. It is important your bladder is full so they can see it clearly on your scan. You'll be peeing for ages and ages afterwards :p:

ReputationRep:
    Because your bladder covers your uterus and ovaries and the ultrasound needs the liquid to travel through, that's what I was told anyway, maybe if you haven't been told to be dying for a wee (my letter from the hosp actually said that) then they're scanning something else maybe cause of the pain. Were your blood tests inconculsive?

ReputationRep:
    The blood tests haven't been taken yet. The appointment is next week. I'm going into the hospital tomorrow. The blood tests will be taken at the walk in centre.

I need to drink 2 LITRES?? That's mad. I'll probably pee there and then.

Well, thanks for the advice. I'll be taking a bottle of water with me although my doc didn't mention needing to drink lots before. But I can't eat for at least four hours before. I can only drink.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I was told 2 litres as well, and I think you have to always be dieing to pee cos I was told too.... and my ultrasound was for my kidneys?

ReputationRep:
    2 litres is going to kill me. I'm always dying for a pee, even if I haven't drunk anything!

ReputationRep:
    I've had an ultrasound to test for polycystic ovaries.

They do the test very far down your stomach, they wont touch the upper abs. And as everyone's saying, your bladder must be full to the point of bursting else it won't work. It'a not nice when the nurse presses down on your bladder with the ultrasound tool though, makes you wanna wee so bad XD

but yeah, with the ultrasound and the blood tests, they can quickly see if you have pcos. The nurse who did my ultrasound told me there and then as she could see them clearly.

ReputationRep:
    A nurse didn't do mine. It was a sonographer. And the results will take up to a week or two. They will be sent to my GP.

Well, I was bursting like mad

ReputationRep:
    weird - my pcos was just diagnosed through a blood test

ReputationRep:
    I'm getting blood tests done aswell.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need to be needing the loo that much! I didn't drink an excessive amount beforehand and it was fine.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.