Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anon please as I know some people who use this site.

Im trying to lose some weight, but I need some tips on what exercises I should do.

I know that I need to keep a balanced diet, but i've also decided to use my running machine more often. I am also going to take part in more sports such as football and basketball.

What other exercises are quite effective in losing weight?

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    Cycling, walking, sit ups. You might get better advice in the fitness section.

ReputationRep:
    Eating small meals regularly, increases your metabolism speed, and so it um 'passes' quicker.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Anon please as I know some people who use this site.

Im trying to lose some weight, but I need some tips on what exercises I should do.

I know that I need to keep a balanced diet, but i've also decided to use my running machine more often. I am also going to take part in more sports such as football and basketball.

What other exercises are quite effective in losing weight?

Thanks.
    I think you're better off focusing on things like your football and basketball. For most people they tend to work harder and longer when they're having fun doing something they enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    I find a good method if you're trying to cut calories is to drink a pint of water before each meal. You'll soon find you are satisfied with smaller portions!
    If you're going more for exerices then I'd make a diary/timetable of what you're going to do and when. You might be more likely to stick to your plan if it's written down. And think of some rewards for yourself for when you reach significant goals.

ReputationRep:
    Any exercise that gets you breathing harder, sweating and heart beating. Pick a few you enjoy and that you're keen to do regularly.

Situps however, won't help weightloss.

ReputationRep:
    Do cycling but do like a steady cycle then hard then steady keep switching every 2 minutes ish and do this for as long as you want, preferbly 30 minutes min. also i find calorie counting at alot better than just "eating healthy" because if you count you know how much you are actually eatting.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.