Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smile88egc)
    Im not sure I want to know the answer....but what's a PUA video?
    Just google PUA... it's like "Hitch" but more sneaky and pathetic with stupid code-words.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon)
    This only 'works' if you are looking for a quick fix, which really shouldn't be that hard.

If you want a meaningful relationship then don't try any of these tactics, just be yourself, no use pretending to be someone you aren't. Because when it gets down to it she will see past it if you meet her a few times.
    Oh God, precisely, thank you. ^ That's my POINT. A guy who is trying to learn pathetic 'tactics' to find 'targets' for the short term is just an ******* and a girl will see past it.

(Original post by kriss)
    Youve got to admit, if someone used game on you, it would work. Its instinctive that it does. Unless you go for submissive males who agree with everything you say...
    Krisss, taking into account the amount I know, the things I've seen, and the fact that I am naturally the kind of girl who can read people easily, do you honestly believe that some shmuck with a couple of books and acronyms he's memorized will work with me? Get real. I'm into men who are confident, will challenge me, are funny, are into banter - but most importantly are genuine. I'm into men who aren't juvenille kids just finishing puberty, sitting there memorizing tactics. Allow that. So no, it won't work, because people have already tried. And failed.

However, if a guy uses a self-help book that helps increase his confidence on how to talk to women...fair enough. Although I must admit, sometimes self-help books don't help some men. Not all men will turn into confident Adonises. Some are shy. Some girls like shy men. I like confident men, but not players - or MPUAS or PUAS or 'Mystery.' If no one gets my point now, just allow it. Argh.

ReputationRep:
    "Leave her better than you found her."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by krisss)
    Youve got to admit, if someone used game on you, it would work. Its instinctive that it does. Unless you go for submissive males who agree with everything you say...
    And I love how people automatically assume I go for submissive men just because I'm not stupid./sarcasm

You also mentioned about 'buying a drink' I think that person who said that just meant, whatever happened to being normal and casual - bereft of tactics. However I do agree that some women are completely opposed to the whole 'buying drinks' thing. I think the best thing that works, is to talk to a woman. Just open up with something witty - be yourself. I don't know, with me, what works is natural banter. Nothing scripted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by She_said)
    Oh God, precisely, thank you. ^ That's my POINT. A guy who is trying to learn pathetic 'tactics' to find 'targets' for the short term is just an ******* and a girl will see past it.

Krisss, taking into account the amount I know, the things I've seen, and the fact that I am naturally the kind of girl who can read people easily, do you honestly believe that some shmuck with a couple of books and acronyms he's memorized will work with me? Get real. I'm into men who are confident, will challenge me, are funny, are into banter - but most importantly are genuine. I'm into men who aren't juvenille kids just finishing puberty, sitting there memorizing tactics. Allow that. So no, it won't work, because people have already tried. And failed.

However, if a guy uses a self-help book that helps increase his confidence on how to talk to women...fair enough. Although I must admit, sometimes self-help books don't help some men. Not all men will turn into confident Adonises. Some are shy. Some girls like shy men. I like confident men, but not players - or MPUAS or PUAS or 'Mystery.' If no one gets my point now, just allow it. Argh.
    calm down.
    i'm not praising all his work, just saying that he is a ver intelligent man. picking up women is not all he's about, he knows alot about psychology/social dynamics as well and he understands women from years of approaching women and just trial and error.
    ok he might not respect women too much but he is himself. he's confident,bold,witty,strong mentally has lots of story to tell and is pretty much a natural to be honest. hes just teaching beginners canned material. Pick up is like a fake it till you make it thing.

Last point, women generally have more control over who they have sex with than men. mystery has managed to reverse this, hence an uproar from women.

ReputationRep:

You sound really worked up, relax! :yep:

So have you had people try this PUA gibberish with you before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon)
    You sound really worked up, relax! :yep:

So have you had people try this PUA gibberish with you before?
    Yeah I'm annoyed that people are stupid enough to believe that this crap will work. Obviously it'll work on stupid girls, but surely, surely guys want to attract attractive, smart women. I'm also annoyed at the lack of morals that some people have.

It'll sound weird, but I knew all of this instinctively before I read the book/s. I knew that something wasn't quite right if a guy started saying certain things, so I shrugged them off. Then I read the book and realised that a lot of these guys that I shrugged off had copied some of the tactics in these books. I can tell when a guy is being genuine and I can tell when he's actually saying funny things or bantering like he would with his mates - being himself. Not copying a book.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I'm annoyed that people are stupid enough to believe that this crap will work. Obviously it'll work on stupid girls, but surely, surely guys want to attract attractive, smart women. I'm also annoyed at the lack of morals that some people have.

It'll sound weird, but I knew all of this instinctively before I read the book/s. I knew that something wasn't quite right if a guy started saying certain things, so I shrugged them off. Then I read the book and realised that a lot of these guys that I shrugged off had copied some of the tactics in these books. I can tell when a guy is being genuine and I can tell when he's actually saying funny things or bantering like he would with his mates - being himself. Not copying a book.
    Yeah it looks obvious from a mile off when a guy is getting into a "routine" but that's not what its all about. Its teaching you the skills that "players" naturally have, whether someone's gone out and learnt it or they have it naturally wont make a different when your directly experiencing it.

ReputationRep:

I've always been naturally confident (almost to the point of arrogance :eek: ) and I have to ask you, how do you know you can just tell? I've had friends who were shy who I've helped really come out of the box. And tbh, you sound like you rate your ability to tell whether a guy is genuine a bit much. Oh and like I said, people do change. I'm sure if some desperate guy goes out, with the mindset, practices a lot and really fakes his confidence etc. It will become genuine. So then you cannot say it's scripted.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying PUA's are totally in the right (the ones doing it for a quick lay certainly arent). I just think you're being a bit over zealous and ridiculous about it.

ReputationRep:

Well i guess the types of place this guy is going to will allow him to work the 'wonders' of PUA. And you have to remember that the guys using it are pretty desperate in the first place!

So, what race are you? I couldn't tell from your picture. ( :

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    I've always been naturally confident (almost to the point of arrogance :eek: ) and I have to ask you, how do you know you can just tell? I've had friends who were shy who I've helped really come out of the box. And tbh, you sound like you rate your ability to tell whether a guy is genuine a bit much. Oh and like I said, people do change. I'm sure if some desperate guy goes out, with the mindset, practices a lot and really fakes his confidence etc. It will become genuine. So then you cannot say it's scripted.

Don't get me wrong though, I'm not saying PUA's are totally in the right (the ones doing it for a quick lay certainly arent). I just think you're being a bit over zealous and ridiculous about it.
    I can tell if a guy is trying to follow a script and get me into bed by acting like a PUA/player. So sue me. There is a difference between confidence and learning tactics to get girls into bed. This thread isn't called 'Confidence Videos.'

I think the word 'PUA' has so many negative connotations attached to it that some people automatically assume it means, 'player.' Some however, relate the term to general confidence. I'm not talking about the latter. I'm talking about the original concept of the PUA whose aim was to get a woman in bed by the end of the night.

As for you helping people come out of the box, I think that's absolutely great. However, you've obviously not understood what I've been trying to say, and as it's almost 3am, I can't be bothered to keep clarifying for you, so keep doing what you do kiddo. I'm out.

ReputationRep:
    I just googled PUA cos of this thread and lol'd hard when i realised what it was! I'm sorry but anyone who actually does this stuff or believes what those douches are saying is an idiot.

Here's a wacky idea:
    1. Go up to the girl
    2. Smile and say hi
    3. Maybe offer them a drink or dance
    4. Be a pleasant human being to them

These PUAs may be shocked by how effective that is, no need to be an "artiste".

ReputationRep:
    I can tell if a guy is trying to follow a script and get me into bed by acting like a PUA/player. So sue me. There is a difference between confidence and learning tactics to get girls into bed. This thread isn't called 'Confidence Videos.'

I think the word 'PUA' has so many negative connotations attached to it that some people automatically assume it means, 'player.' Some however, relate the term to general confidence. I'm not talking about the latter. I'm talking about the original concept of the PUA whose aim was to get a woman in bed by the end of the night.

As for you helping people come out of the box, I think that's absolutely great. However, you've obviously not understood what I've been trying to say, and as it's almost 3am, I can't be bothered to keep clarifying for you, so keep doing what you do kiddo. I'm out.
    A few things first:

1) PUA is not all about picking up women. Yes it was designed for that, but if you have done it long enough you begin to realise that to pick up women you have to master your inner self anyway, simply because that is where true confidence stems from - from within. No routine is going to allow you to fake that successfully, because as you have rightly found women can suss out if they are trying to pick them up from the incongruence in their behavioural patterns. So in effect the ones that you have sussed out already are uncalibrated/**** PUAs anyway.

2) To expand the above: Mastering your inner self requires you to be your best self, that means outside of picking up women measures should be taken to accomplish goals which improve your core confidence, inner self. This could range from anything, getting a good degree, having a successful career, going to the gym and getting a good body etc...you get the picture. Things that improve your confidence as success breeds confidence.

Again, no gambit or routine can fake the above.

3) Eventually there comes a stage where one becomes calibrated. At this point there is no way you can tell if he is a PUA or not as most of the PUA material will not even be canned. It will be his own on the spot material, which you elegantly refer to as "banter". And if his inner self is strong enough, he will have the right mindset to game you anyway because his confidence comes from within and not from external validation. At this point simply put he loves himself too much to not even care about if you reject him or not, he has other things going for him; he is a man as you put it.

4) Even PUAs get rejected, not every girl is going to be attracted to them and they know this. What they do differently to other guys is that they dont dwell on it rather they play the odds.

5) Your best self means working with the cards you have delt with and getting the most out of it, rather then being another clone of mystery.

And finally...

6) PUA and the seduction community wouldn't exist if there wasn't a market for it. There are plenty of guys out there who are being themselves, but getting nowhere so have to resort to such measures because they want to improve the quality of their love life. Rather that then being a sad loser playing WoW all day, *****ing about how he cant get laid.

So the being yourself arguement is flawed anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOJO)
    A few things first:

1) PUA is not all about picking up women. Yes it was designed for that, but if you have done it long enough you begin to realise that to pick up women you have to master your inner self anyway, simply because that is where true confidence stems from - from within. No routine is going to allow you to fake that successfully, because as you have rightly found women can suss out if they are trying to pick them up from the incongruence in their behavioural patterns. So in effect the ones that you have sussed out already are uncalibrated/**** PUAs anyway.

2) To expand the above: Mastering your inner self requires you to be your best self, that means outside of picking up women measures should be taken to accomplish goals which improve your core confidence, inner self. This could range from anything, getting a good degree, having a successful career, going to the gym and getting a good body etc...you get the picture. Things that improve your confidence as success breeds confidence.

Again, no gambit or routine can fake the above.

3) Eventually there comes a stage where one becomes calibrated. At this point there is no way you can tell if he is a PUA or not as most of the PUA material will not even be canned. It will be his own on the spot material, which you elegantly refer to as "banter". And if his inner self is strong enough, he will have the right mindset to game you anyway because his confidence comes from within and not from external validation. At this point simply put he loves himself too much to not even care about if you reject him or not, he has other things going for him; he is a man as you put it.

4) Even PUAs get rejected, not every girl is going to be attracted to them and they know this. What they do differently to other guys is that they dont dwell on it rather they play the odds.

5) Your best self means working with the cards you have delt with and getting the most out of it, rather then being another clone of mystery.

And finally...

6) PUA and the seduction community wouldn't exist if there wasn't a market for it. There are plenty of guys out there who are being themselves, but getting nowhere so have to resort to such measures because they want to improve the quality of their love life. Rather that then being a sad loser playing WoW all day, *****ing about how he cant get laid.

So the being yourself arguement is flawed anyway.
    All this proves is that you are doing way too much thinking when it comes to talking to women. I mean christ, some of the people on here are talking about them like they are mystical beings! They are human, talk to them like a normal human would and you will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    They are human, talk to them like a normal human would and you will be fine.
    Hope you enjoy your friend zone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EFG)
    Pfft, if you actually believe this stuff then i hope you enjoy masturbation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EFG)
    PWNED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EFG)
    I don't agree, but it made me laugh.

+1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 9MmBulletz)
    PWNED
    Ooo, looks like you two boys have got someone to fall back on when your PUA produces an epic fail

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hoonosewot)
    All this proves is that you are doing way too much thinking when it comes to talking to women. I mean christ, some of the people on here are talking about them like they are mystical beings! They are human, talk to them like a normal human would and you will be fine.
    Yes I know thats how it comes across! But as I said when you get to the nuts and bolts of it all, there is much MORE depth to it then women, it's about looking at the bigger picture i.e. bettering yourself in every area of your life with the cards you have been delt with - not just women, because that way your quality of life will improve as a whole. It's a building process, base up. You will find that a lot of people that struggle with women have self-belief, confidence issues in them to begin with. The limiting beliefs which stem from these need to be erradicated which is HARD.

Anyway, most people SHOULD be doing the above anyway, PUA or not. Only in this case much of the confidence building material makes you aware of it, thats it. It's a bloody long hard road too, so if people think that to become a good one takes a month they are gravely mistakened. You'll probably make a million mistakes before getting to where you want to go...heck most of the good ones probably got rejected a billion times before they got to the level they are at now. But for them it was a learning process each time.
    I mean come on, it is blatently going to be obvious that a few pick up lines are not going to cut it, is it? Especially if you are deeply routed with insecurities to begin with. It is easy to spot someone faking it just from their bodylanguage, because their bodylanguage will not synchronize with what they are saying. I can't explain, but you can spot it from a mile off. Eventually if you go out enough, you start to be able to read group dynamics and body language with this well.

Good PUAs have a good overall package (no pun intended lol), and in the end many seek balance in their life...and for that to happen you've got to find happiness within yourself. Also lastly not everyone goes into the PU community purely for picking up girl after girl, this is a common misconception. If anything you will find that loads dwevell into it so that they have the ability to get with a girl of their choice into a long term relationship and were generally frustrated by their bad luck with women prior to becoming a PUA...as stated previously there wouldn't be a PUA community IF getting a girlfriend was easy for every guy.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.