Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    HTG

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone agree with me that things need to change fast? I mean, just imagine how the woman felt when shes tied to a table after being repeatedly raped and then told that a man was going to kill her. God its awful.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    You can't be convicted of murder and then released after 5 years, there's a mandatory life sentence and very few people, in cases like this one, get parole after having served three-quarters and more of their 25 years. I think cases like the one you referred to are certainly a lot more heinous than manslaughter cases where the death is not "directly intended" and where it results in less brutal circumstances. The more worrying thing is, the Law Commission have now realised this, proposals have been made for there to be a distinction between first and second degree murder but still the former would only carry the maximum "life" sentence.

ReputationRep:
    I just don't get why a 'life sentance' isn't for life :mad: I mean you'd think the name would be self explanatory but no the constitution has its own bullcrap :mad:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C++Hacker)
    I just don't get why a 'life sentance' isn't for life :mad: I mean you'd think the name would be self explanatory but no the constitution has its own bullcrap :mad:
    It is 'for life'. People on parole are still under sentence: they still have their liberty restricted by the state. Parole is only granted where the requirements are fulfilled by a prisoner, it is not automatic.

If you're asking why it doesn't involve life imprisonment, I think that should be obvious to anyone: for one, release is a prospect that stops prisoners from murdering one-another in their cells. For another, it allows for rehabilitation, something that most people accept is possible within all people. Thirdly, we don't have the resources to imprison every murderer for his natural life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    It is 'for life'. release is a prospect that stops prisoners from murdering one-another in their cells.
    I certainly wouldn't be complaining if they did.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C++Hacker)
    You'd think so, but evidently good behaviour means one day having the chance to be released into society. I mean, if your released and you have one day left to live, whats to say an old murderer wont kill one more victim, for one more great thrill? Its just amazingly bad, and its the world we live in. I really do respect the US justice system.

ReputationRep:
    Become a vigilante :zorro:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    for one, release is a prospect that stops prisoners from murdering one-another in their cells.
    Well, it would be wrong of us to deny them that right. Plus, you're sort of implying that rather than leave them in the cells to kill each other, we should release them into the wild to kill us all. Or at least, that's how I'm going to interpret it.

Somehow I think society could continue largely unaffected if prisoners took to killing each other. Hell, we could even throw them weapons and turn it into a modern version of Gladiators. I'm talking real Gladiators, not that namby-pamby stuff with lycra leotards and foam battons. You know what I mean? One prisoner's given a mace, the other a club. See how it pans out. Then televise it. On pay-per-view. Think of the revenue. Maybe if Setanta had hired me as consultant, they wouldn't have gone to the wall.

(Original post by L i b)
    For another, it allows for rehabilitation, something that most people accept is possible within all people. Thirdly, we don't have the resources to imprison every murderer for his natural life.
    I'd be prepared to donate 50% of the revenue from the above pay-per-view programme "Total Annihilation - The Gladiatorial Prisoner Deathmatch Series" in order to fund additional prison spaces. That's the sort of philanthropist I am...

ReputationRep:
    It is possible to be imprisoned indefinitely in this country.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Collingwood)
    It is possible to be imprisoned indefinitely in this country.
    Obviously so. Did you bother to read the thread? The point I am making is this, whether or not you killed 20 children or killed one guy with a punch to his head, you should never be released. Of course the justice system gets it right in some cases, the extremeties which occur. But rarely i feel, do murderers have to stay in there for life. Even if there released at 92, pose no threat to the public and have been punished, why should they be free while the person they killed is NEVER coming back. The last part of my post is aimed at the people saying some should be released.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damos92)
    Obviously so. Did you bother to read the thread? The point I am making is this, whether or not you killed 20 children or killed one guy with a punch to his head, you should never be released. Of course the justice system gets it right in some cases, the extremeties which occur. But rarely i feel, do murderers have to stay in there for life. Even if there released at 92, pose no threat to the public and have been punished, why should they be free while the person they killed is NEVER coming back. The last part of my post is aimed at the people saying some should be released.
    Yeah I did read the thread. The answer to the question "Why can't Britain act like this" is: it can, and possibly would have done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Collingwood)
    Yeah I did read the thread. The answer to the question "Why can't Britain act like this" is: it can, and possibly would have done.
    Ok. If it can, then why are murderers still being released? Its like saying, Britian can pull soldiers out of Iraq but its not happening. The fact that they can is so irrelavant, the fact that in some cases they dont is inexcusable.

ReputationRep:
    lifers are not paroled in the same way as other prisoners , they are only ever released on licence and can be recalled to prison relatively easily

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by damos92)
    http://www.trutv.com/library/crime/s...halbach/1.html

That's a horrific story which happened in the US in 2005 and i read it yesterday and felt sick. At the end, i found out that the US justice system has decided both the sickos who took a HUMAN LIFE, will spend the rest of there days behind bars. Its not complete justice, obviously nothing is but its better than our ridicolous justice system. It just makes me mad. We can join America and its army in Iraq, we can risk the lives of our soldiers daily but we can't guarentee that most people who kill will never be released, the 'justice' system in some cases releasing murderers after 5 years! I think im mad because ive become more sentimental towards life recently, knowing we only have one life and cannot comprehend someone elses life being snatched away for sexual gratification. I'm just furious and these issues need to be rightened before stuff like the bbc licence fee and equality bills. What do you think?
    hmmm.
    So, for you, Justice = Retribution?
    Do you happen to read the Daily Mail?

btw, please take more care when spelling your words.
    Also there is no need to capitalize words in a sentence nor insult people, even if you are angry at them.

ReputationRep:
    ..and another thing, the prisons in here are comfy and some people actually want to be there.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.