Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Due to alot of pressure from family ( :mad: ) since about year 9/10 I've had high expectations from everyone to go to a world class internationally renowned university (Oxbridge was the target, Imperial at worst!), didn't really matter what the course was...for that there was no pressure, I was free to choose theatrical drama or mathemaics I was just tought to go to and only to one of the country's best. Anyway, GCSE's were really good but not Oxbridge level (only 5 A*, others had like 10) so then I started to look at Imperial college for Aeronautical engineering (have been passionate about planes since childhood).

Did AS year, got AABC in maths and all sciences. Applied for Imperial got rejected (as expected). I had other offers but none of the other unis were 'world class' in parents' eyes so rejected all and opted for a gap year after A2 (finished with ABB). Now that Imperial is out of the question my parents have said it has to be UCL or KCL (even though I don't think KCL is really up there but still very good, international recognition bla bla etc.). So for me it hasn't really been a case of choosing a course and then finding a uni that offers it. It's been the other way around, search through UCL/KCL and find a course that not only interests me but also would be realistic with my grades. I do know for definate however that I'd like to go into finance/banking for a career no doubt about it. I chose physics course (because naturally it's my strongest subject and I was the best in my school) and knew that its very popular with graduates that go on to do banking.

If this pressure wasn't enough, my parents said although UCL/KCL are respectable it's still not as good as they'd like and said after doing a physics degree I should try doing a post graduate at Imperial's or London's business school for a direct finance related course ( :banghead: ) Now although many students have been accepted for physics at both UCL/KCL with ABB, I'm kind of confident I stand a good chance, but in case I don't then it's just total fail in my parents eyes.

In which case, I'd just opt for a directly related finance course, much like the ones offered by city/cass or any university really. Seeing as it is what I'd like to do for a career, and I'd have already failed with my parents I may aswell just go for it. Now I'm slightly tempted to be rebellious :shot: and apply straight for finance without even trying with the physics. It would be a nice 'SCREW YOU :mfing: ' to my parents for what they've put me through :mmm: .

So the question is, considering the career I'd like, want to get into an investment bank or something of that standard...should I go for physics of finance? I'm naturally very strong at physics and I find it interesting and have the most fun learning it but I don't actually go out of my way in my free time to read up on it etc. Also, studying physics is so cool :cool: as opposed to the typical finance course which is just like so common just about everybody does it (not really an influential factorm, just a point ) On the other hand, I havn't studied a finance related subject before (didn't do economics/business studies) and have no idea how I'd feel actually learning about it (would it interest me or not? nobody can know, only time will tell I guess) but my actual interest and enjoyment in finance is as high as it can be, all day every day I read up on about economics, banks, stocks etc. so it's actually something I do in my free time.

So I ask you, physics or finance?
    (sorry for such a long essay...it's a side effect fromhaving deluded ignorant neglective parents :rolleyes: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C++Hacker)
    Not an especially productive comment from me now, but an observation. Your parents are idiots. If they think brand names are the most valuable thing in a university, clearly they are fools and you're a bigger fool if you pay attention to them.

Do whatever degree you enjoy doing. Undergraduates regularly apply for jobs that they don't have a relevant degree for.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel4fun4u)
    Not an especially productive comment from me now, but an observation. Your parents are idiots. If they think brand names are the most valuable thing in a university, clearly they are fools.
    Clearly stating the obvious :mmm: but thank you, it's actually reassured me that I'm not the only one who thinks they are complete looneys. Meh, they're old so they'll die soon anyway :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Clearly stating the obvious :mmm: but thank you, it's actually reassured me that I'm not the only one who thinks they are complete looneys. Meh, they're old so they'll die soon anyway :woo:
    did a quick edit of my original post.

ReputationRep:
    just go for physics man you will love the 3 years and so come out with a better class degree for it, you can always get into the financial field afterwards with a good degree like that, and it must have been hard with that kind of pressure from your parents tbh, not productive at all

ReputationRep:
    Do what you want mate, your parents should be happy with whatever decision you make, its your choice which will shape the rest of your life.
    If you want a career in finance/banking, common sense would say to do finance related degree, degrees in economics and maths are held in high regard by employers in the industry, this should help you be put higher up on the 'list' in an extremely competitive job market where people tend to have 'straight As'.
    And you haven't failed your parents, they're just living in a fantasy world, you shouldn't take it as pressure, but use it as a goal even though its unrealistic, to be the best you can be.
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    go for physics, UCL is very highly regarded and btw 5* isnt anything to be scoffed at, obviously where you went had bias in terms of student quality.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway, GCSE's were really good but not Oxbridge level (only 5 A*, others had like 10) so then I started to look at Imperial college for Aeronautical engineering (have been passionate about planes since childhood).
    You'll have a much better chance at IB with a Physics degree from UCL than with a finance degree from a mid-tier uni (you might have a better chance with a finance degree from somewhere like LSE or Warwick).

Also you should realize Oxbridge doesn't actually care that much about GCSEs. If they think you'll be an outstanding Physicist then they'll take you regardless of your grades, you just have to be able to prove that to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ttx)
    You'll have a much better chance at IB with a Physics degree from UCL than with a finance degree from a mid-tier uni (you might have a better chance with a finance degree from somewhere like LSE or Warwick).

Also you should realize Oxbridge doesn't actually care that much about GCSEs. If they think you'll be an outstanding Physicist then they'll take you regardless of your grades, you just have to be able to prove that to them.
    Yeah, at the time of GCSEs I wasn't actually even aware that unis take them into account I thought it was only A-levels but I just assumed that with good but not outstanding gcse grades it's probable that I'd be on a similar level at A-level and just thought I wouldn't really be able to achieve the oxbridge standard. Anyway, your advice has been very helpful, so far everybody has said physics so I think that is the way to go. Appreciate it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.