Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Not really, a phobia is a rational fear so facing a rational fear isnt going to make it suddenly irrational. Now fears which are completely irrational (spiders, the dark etc etc) I can accept facing will help but pushing someone off a cliff (with a rope) rarely ever cures a fear of heights, just makes them scream a bit until you pull them back up

ReputationRep:
    Tried to face my fear of spiders but just made it probably a hundred times worse!! 'Flooding' I think is what it's called - it may help some people but not others. Definitely not me!

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm it depends on the person and how scared they are of something.

I was scared of most things but am fine now around spiders and heights - no idea how though! I used to be scared of making conversation as well, but counseling helped that a lot.

I'm still scared of many things though

ReputationRep:
    I doubt it, not without professional help too.

I didn't know I had a ridiculous and irrational fear of butterflies until I was 'faced' with hundreds of them in an enclosure...and the second time confirmed the fear rather than curing it. I don't really think I'm a good example though, I don't burst into tears or have major physical reactions or anything.

ReputationRep:
    i am crazy phobic of rats, but havent ever had any help, it doesnt effect me too much in every day life. My boyfriends cousin had hypnosis for her phobia of flying which she says really helped; she is still anxious and takes a sedative to help but at least she can fly now!

ReputationRep:
    It's not so much facing it but beating it, showing yourself you can do something and everything will be fine.

ReputationRep:
    I think you need professional help to get over it.

I have a HUGE phobia of the dentist, even thinking about it makes me feel ill and anxious.. I'm going to a new dentist next week who deals with phobic patients by using hypnotherapy and sedation.. so I'm hoping that will help!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princessnavi22)
    I think you need professional help to get over it.

I have a HUGE phobia of the dentist, even thinking about it makes me feel ill and anxious.. I'm going to a new dentist next week who deals with phobic patients by using hypnotherapy and sedation.. so I'm hoping that will help!!
    Sedation is AWESOME. I have both sedated patients and been sedated, it is amazing stuff.

ReputationRep:
    Directly confronting your phobia can help, but not always.

I was able to deal with a fear of heights and a fear of needles by direct confontation, but it hasn't worked with spiders. Sometimes you need professional help - and even then it's hard, very hard.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ihateyounatalie.com/?id=1742316

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mipegg)
    Not really, a phobia is a rational fear so facing a rational fear isnt going to make it suddenly irrational. Now fears which are completely irrational (spiders, the dark etc etc) I can accept facing will help but pushing someone off a cliff (with a rope) rarely ever cures a fear of heights, just makes them scream a bit until you pull them back up

You have a good point. I suppose it is a rational fear, no one likes being forced into small spaces, but mines just excessive. Yes I also feel uncomfortable at the edge of a great height because I dont want to plummet to my death, and I wouldnt enjoy drowning, not being able to breath etc, and these are fears everyone has, and they're normal. Only Id pick any of these over being trapped in a tight space any day, and Im truly terrified at just the thought of being in that situation

So the consensus seems that rational fears like these shouldnt be faced and have no cure, whereas fears of things like spiders, the dark, peoples feet etc can be cured with exposure.

:sad:

ReputationRep:
    "Whether you think you can or you can't, you're right"

- Henry Ford

that's all I'm saying...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milesofsea)
    What do you mean? Because this is going to sound morbid but the images I usually get are of lying in a tiny dark box deep underground with soil packed above me and no air. This is my ultimate nightmare it really brings me to tears thinking about it sometimes (obviously I try not to) so its not really something I can 'beat' because there would be no way out. And I know Ill be dead but one day I will be in that exact situation, which doesnt help.
    So if Im ever in any kind of slightly small space I get the same feeling of panic.

I said it was really ridiculous:o:
    People know it's ridicules but they are still scared of it, it's sort of like testing fate. For example if you are mildly scared of the dark you can walk around in the dark and have fun in the sense that your beating what your scared of, being mildly scared of the dark wont make you really panic though.

You could try lying in the room thinking rational thoughts, stretch your arms out, breathe and feel secure because you know nothings happened. It might help to think about how silly the fears were.

I don't know what you are actually thinking but you get the idea.

I don't like going to sleep in the dark so I leave my glowing clock on, I'm not scared of the dark I just looking up and checking for something if I think I see any sort of movement. However with a clear head I can ignore all of that.

ReputationRep:
    Are most phobias linked to an ultimate sense of possible death- they create the same emotions of heightened awareness and fear that a life-threatening situation does? I've not heard this suggested before, but perhaps you could try suspending any care about whether you live or die for a moment, as you clamber into your bunk bed and settle down to sleep. "So what if this could kill me- let it kill me!" and crawl right on in there. I'm fairly good at creating a nonplussed calmness about life and the inevitable, and I have no irrational phobias whatsoever.

It's a long shot.

ReputationRep:
    And being scared of small spaces is an irrational fear, by the way. Phobias are defined as being irrational fears. Rational fears are things like being scared of that axe-murderer over there, which isn't technically a phobia.

ReputationRep:
    Whoops. No-one had posted here for ages before I did. Unearthing... argh...

Hello TSR, I'm talking to myself past midnight. Blah blah blah.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milesofsea)
    You have a good point. I suppose it is a rational fear, no one likes being forced into small spaces, but mines just excessive. Yes I also feel uncomfortable at the edge of a great height because I dont want to plummet to my death, and I wouldnt enjoy drowning, not being able to breath etc, and these are fears everyone has, and they're normal. Only Id pick any of these over being trapped in a tight space any day, and Im truly terrified at just the thought of being in that situation

So the consensus seems that rational fears like these shouldnt be faced and have no cure, whereas fears of things like spiders, the dark, peoples feet etc can be cured with exposure.

:sad:

I would say that graded desensitization works, even for a rational fear. My friend was scared of heights for years (utterly petrified) so we took him climbing, started off bouldering (3-6 meters height with a mat under you) and slowly moved it up to top ropes then lead roping until the point where 3 months ago we went up Whitestone Cliffe which is 900 feet of crumbly, ****** rock.

Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.