Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was listening to LBC today and apparently a new role of 'President of the EU' is being formed - and Tony Blair is going to be campaigning for the spot, backed by the current Labour government.

Should he be voted through? Or not?

Why?

I was shocked by some of the idiotic calls today - some people commenting that 'he's simply a bloody idiot guilty of war crimes', when, in reality, he's nothing of the sort.

Discuss.

ReputationRep:
    ? :o:
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    I consider blair to be one of the worst PM's we have ever had tbh. I wouldnt want him in that role if it were created.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    I consider blair to be one of the worst PM's we have ever had tbh. I wouldnt want him in that role if it were created.
    Really? I actually thought (aside from the Iraqi war scandal etc) he did quite a good job? :o:

ReputationRep:
    He's not very... European, is he?

ReputationRep:
    I thought he was trying to fix the Middle East or is that all sorted now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JFJ)
    I thought he was trying to fix the Middle East or is that all sorted now?
    What, the Middle Eastern envoy? Yep, he's been doing that for a while now.
    • Community Assistant
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Hopelessly Hopeful)
    Really? I actually thought (aside from the Iraqi war scandal etc) he did quite a good job? :o:
    I dont trust him. For example his authoritarian terrorism bills were terrible and he made it so ministers can make law without parliament. He was good to the cameras, unlike brown, but brown has better policy imo. There were things like id badges as well that i strongly oppose.

ReputationRep:
    I was listening to LBC today and apparently a new role of 'President of the EU' is being formed
    It isn't. It's President of the European Council - and in this context, 'President' essentially takes its older and more traditional meaning of 'Chairman'.

But yes, there's a thread on this in D&D.

ReputationRep:
    Blair could be flushed into Brussels' sewers for all I care. Hold on...:teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    It isn't. It's President of the European Council - and in this context, 'President' essentially takes its older and more traditional meaning of 'Chairman'.

But yes, there's a thread on this in D&D.
    Really? James Wale referred to it as President of the EU? :dontknow:

Ah, sorry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    I dont trust him. For example his authoritarian terrorism bills were terrible and he made it so ministers can make law without parliament. He was good to the cameras, unlike brown, but brown has better policy imo. There were things like id badges as well that i strongly oppose.
    I know **** all about politics other than what's reported on the BBC. :o:

I'll just keep my mouth shut.. :sad:

ReputationRep:
    Someone as divisive as he was in Europe should not be president.

ReputationRep:
    I already made a thread like this.....

hop on board

ReputationRep:
    we should try and make a clone a Obama and use him

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walker01)
    we should try and make a clone a Obama and use him
    Don't be such an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    It'd be rather nice if the EU were not to fall to the UN's level of irrelevance, but Blair in that role? With his record on Civil Liberties?

I doubt we could do any better with the current crop of candidates on that front, so he gets my support only grudgingly.

ReputationRep:
    I was listening to LBC today and apparently a new role of 'President of the EU' is being formed - and Tony Blair is going to be campaigning for the spot, backed by the current Labour government.

Should he be voted through? Or not?

Why?

I was shocked by some of the idiotic calls today - some people commenting that 'he's simply a bloody idiot guilty of war crimes', when, in reality, he's nothing of the sort.

Discuss.
    well he was guilty of war crimes

i thought we'd seen the back of that vile **** :mad: i hope he loses

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotsofsnails)
    well he was guilty of war crimes

i thought we'd seen the back of that vile **** :mad: i hope he loses
    No, he wasn't.

Was he ever trialled for war crimes? :no:

ReputationRep:
    No, he wasn't.

Was he ever trialled for war crimes? :no:
    a lot of war criminals haven't been tried :confused:

it was a war which the UN considered illegal, which had no real justification and which killed over a million people.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.