Turn on thread page Beta
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by MichaelG)
    I thought the speaker was meant to remain neutral?
    I'm not in my House now :p: anyway, I'm moaning about individual politicians I dont like from all parties. Clegg, Boris and Blair. There are politicians I like from each party. Gordon Brown, Chris Huhne, and David Cameron.

ReputationRep:
    Hes not a bad poli. But, he licks USA too much..So im not sure i'd give him presidency....then again, I never want to see the Lisbon Treaty go through!..heres me hoping that we'll never see who becomes be president!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    I'm not in my House now :p: anyway, I'm moaning about individual politicians I dont like from all parties. Clegg, Boris and Blair. There are politicians I like from each party. Gordon Brown, Chris Huhne, and David Cameron.
    Mr speaker may i ask why you are not in your house?! :p: no i was just being silly, moan away!

John Bercow would not be happy :sadnod:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Mr speaker may i ask why you are not in your house?! :p: no i was just being silly, moan away!
    There was nothing scheduled for today. Hence the work I have in the House today is minimal, so I wander round TSR debating elsewhere really

Anyway, I'm not talking about TSR parties, and TSR parties are different to the real parties.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    John Bercow would not be happy :sadnod:
    I'm not speaker for real life parties so I get to **** them off if I want :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopelessly Hopeful)
    Really? I actually thought (aside from the Iraqi war scandal etc) he did quite a good job? :o:
    You mean, of course, apart from presiding over the biggest long-term binge on needless bureaucratic spending on record; allowing his chancellor to spend tax-payers' cash as if it was monopoly money; allowing educational standards to slip further in the quest for needlessly increased HE participation; allowing immigration to be almost completely uncontrolled; and masterminding the descent into the rule of spin in government communication.

I'm not speaker for real life parties so I get to **** them off if I want :p:
    :zomg: I thought being speaker of the TSR HoC gave you official privileges (like jags, prostitutes, free money) and duties (like not ****ging of parties)? I was misinformed! :bawling:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    :zomg: I thought being speaker of the TSR HoC gave you official privileges (like jags, prostitutes, free money) and duties (like not ****ging of parties)? I was misinformed! :bawling:
    It does. But the privileges are all virtual and my duties are only over TSR panties

(Original post by Good bloke)
    You mean, of course, apart from presiding over the biggest long-term binge on needless bureaucratic spending on record; allowing his chancellor to spend tax-payers' cash as if it was monopoly money; allowing educational standards to slip further in the quest for needlessly increased HE participation; allowing immigration to be almost completely uncontrolled; and masterminding the descent into the rule of spin in government communication.
    Well he just followed in Bush's footsteps really.

I mean, an economically rightist government that goes on a spending binge? And it wasn't as if all of it was necessary. Okay, the reeducation, retraining schemes, NHS spending etc were a good thing, but things like the Iraq war, 260£ dole (during a boom that too :zomg:), etc were pretty much pandering to interests (for example in the first Foreign Policy interests, in the second voter interests). Oh and the religious pandering. Don't get me started one of the biggest sellouts of liberalism in British history.

Labour failed because they tried to be all things to all people ... but that's the only reason they got elected in the first place (well, aside from a wave of voter revulsion over sickening corruption in the Conservative governments).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopelessly Hopeful)
    I was listening to LBC today and apparently a new role of 'President of the EU' is being formed - and Tony Blair is going to be campaigning for the spot, backed by the current Labour government.

Should he be voted through? Or not?

Why?

I was shocked by some of the idiotic calls today - some people commenting that 'he's simply a bloody idiot guilty of war crimes', when, in reality, he's nothing of the sort.

Discuss.

blair should not be eu president because he has the death of not just the iraqis on his hands, but afghanis and dr david kelly

the man is filth!

ReputationRep:
    Hell to the no.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lotsofsnails)
    a lot of war criminals haven't been tried :confused:

it was a war which the UN considered illegal, which had no real justification and which killed over a million people.
    1. The UN did not consider it illegal. The UN has no mechanism to declare wars illegal.

2. 'Innocent until proven guilty' - does that mean anything to you?

3. There were several justifications for the war in Iraq, as well as a legal case made for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    1. The UN did not consider it illegal. The UN has no mechanism to declare wars illegal.

2. 'Innocent until proven guilty' - does that mean anything to you?

3. There were several justifications for the war in Iraq, as well as a legal case made for it.
    This.

I do love you.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry once I read that, your post lost all value to me. He led us into an illegal war with Iraq and Afghanistan.
    Well if leading your nation into an unjust war, resulting in catastrophic death tolls for a native populace and then remaining in that country isn't a war crime, then i don't know what is.
    (Original post by lotsofsnails)
    it was a war which the UN considered illegal, which had no real justification and which killed over a million people.
    (Original post by over 9000!)
    blair should not be eu president because he has the death of not just the iraqis on his hands, but afghanis and dr david kelly
    the man is filth!
    The war in afghanistan is certainly not illegal the UN gives the right to self defence. The UN security council and the general assembly both agreed that the USA and UK were justified in the actions they took in afghanistan. In addition to this the government of afghanistan recognised by the UN and all but 3 nations had previously appealed to the UN for help to repel the taliban invaders.
    The UN secretary-general on military strikes in afghanistan:

"Immediately after the 11 September attacks on the United States, the Security Council expressed its determination to combat, by all means, threats to international peace and security caused by terrorist acts. The Council also reaffirmed the inherent right of individual or collective self-defence in accordance with the Charter of the United Nations. The States concerned have set their current military action in Afghanistan in that context.

To defeat terrorism, we need a sustained effort and a broad strategy to unite all nations, and address all aspects of the scourge we face. The cause must be pursued by all the States of the world, working together and using many different means including political, legal, diplomatic and financial means.

The people of Afghanistan, who cannot be held responsible for the acts of the Taliban regime, are now in desperate need of aid. The United Nations has long played a vital role in providing humanitarian assistance to them, and it is my hope that we will be able to step up our humanitarian work as soon as possible."

As for iraq there are arguments that it is legal, the resolution that allowed allied intervention in the 1st gulf war was only suspended. It was suspended by a resolution that forced iraq to give up all WMds among other things in return for a ceasefire, so if the terms of the 2nd resolution were breached then the whole ceasefire might be invalid. As iraq kicked out UN weapons inspectors how was anyone meant to know if they were breaching the resolution or not?
    Saddam started the war with iran that saw 1,000,000 people killed in iran and iraq.
    Saddam started the 1st gulf war in which 100,000 iraqis were killed.
    Saddam killed 150,000 civilians in the al-anfal campaign against rebels in iraq.

Violent deaths in iraq since the war are about 100,000 not a million.

I simply do not see how removing a mass murderer from power could be seen as a war crime, afterall there is a very sound argument that had he been left in power he might have killed 10 times as many people as have died from the war.

Tony blair should become president of the EU because he almost alone out of european leaders saw what the right thing to do in afghanistan and iraq was and the position will most likely deal mostly with the eu's foreign relations. However I hope we leave the eu before this happens or that the irish vote down lisbon again.

ReputationRep:
    Blair should be shot. The only election involved should be by which type of round.

ReputationRep:
    I'd vote for blair, hoorah! Of course.. do we even vote for this?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.