Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:

Sure, there are more obnoxious ways to dress - such as the way those silly enough to say things like 'I reject conformity' who then show this simply by picking an oppositional category of dress/style themselves - go to ex: hippy, "artist"/"musician".

Are there a fair number of students who don't need to convey any sort of lame "cultural" category? Eh, this is arbitrarily ironic, but I ask this because the less someone is dressing to convery a "social" category (no matter the obscurity), the more likely they are a person worth knowing.

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    No not really, standard fare is typically jeans and a hoody.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, they do because every student is the same, listen to the same music, dance exactly the same way, have the same opinions.

/sarcasm

FFS, people are different. Some students might dress like that, but not all of them.
    Is your next thread going to be, "I want to be a lawyer, do I need to learn how to play golf?"

ReputationRep:
    don't know about st andrews, but in manchester, no. people generally dress like prat hipsters (I include myself in this).

ReputationRep:
    I am going to ridiculously overdress....I always overdress. This is not good news for my 30 pairs of shoes when only 5 or 6 of them are flats. :P

ReputationRep:
    If i know myself it will probably be whatever tshirt/jeans combo is nearest to me in the morning

ReputationRep:
    I don't see what's wrong with what they're wearing, and I think you're being childish by inferring that it means they're not worth knowing. But look, more pictures of St Andrews students, wearing different types of clothes!

(I know for a fact that this is a class of maths students)

ReputationRep:
    just wear whatever you feel is comfortable, dont investigate or write an essay about it

ReputationRep:
    god they look so plain... :s

ReputationRep:
    [COLOR]The ***** amongst the student population, yeah[/color]

ReputationRep:
    T-shirt, jeans and snickers for comfort outside.

T-shirt, sweatpants and snickers for comfort inside. (halls, kitchen, dorm etc.)

If the need for dressing up is in order. Then it's time for a shirt, cotton pants and loafers.

The above of course applies for summer/spring/beginning of autumn. Different temperatures call for different clothes :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mwfancy)

Sure, there are more obnoxious ways to dress - such as the way those silly enough to say things like 'I reject conformity' who then show this simply by picking an oppositional category of dress/style themselves - go to ex: hippy, "artist"/"musician".

Are there a fair number of students who don't need to convey any sort of lame "cultural" category? Eh, this is arbitrarily ironic, but I ask this because the less someone is dressing to convery a "social" category (no matter the obscurity), the more likely they are a person worth knowing.
    What a load of ****. If someone truly didn't care about conforming to some pre-determined identity, then i'd speculate they'd wear trackies and a hoodie - comfortable, practical and dispensable. If you think the above is 'neutral', then you are wrong. Those people still care about their appearance and are conveying a message by wearing that just like those you 'hate'.

And for the record, i'd say the most interesting people dress in their own way and don't conform to society, not the opposite.

ReputationRep:
    I know most of those people in the maths pics The top pic features a maths student and a physics student, don't know about the others.

Anyway, for whoever said they look plain... it's how mathematicians here generally dress. Don't get me wrong - there is a small handful of more stylish people in any class, but most people think fleecy jumpers are comfy and dress accordingly :rolleyes:

People wear what they like, for whatever reason. You get people who conform to various stereotypes, and you get lots of people who wear other stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bubbles*de*Milo)
    No.
    (Original post by ThisLittlePiggy)
    No not really, standard fare is typically jeans and a hoody.
    (Original post by King Pieb)
    Yes, they do because every student is the same, listen to the same music, dance exactly the same way, have the same opinions.

/sarcasm

FFS, people are different. Some students might dress like that, but not all of them.
    Is your next thread going to be, "I want to be a lawyer, do I need to learn how to play golf?"
    (Original post by OhNO!)
    don't know about st andrews, but in manchester, no. people generally dress like prat hipsters (I include myself in this).
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    [COLOR]The ***** amongst the student population, yeah[/color]

As this was posted in the StAs subforum, I imagine the OP was referring to students in St Andrews in particular.

Answer: yes, in St Andrews a large number of people do dress like that, particularly in the winter months. This is due to the cold weather, biting winds and their upper-middle-class aspirations.

edit: so far the only other person who seems to even attend StAs in this thread is Imperceptible. Is it a coincidence she was the only one to give a decent answer, compared to the one-word replies, the stupid insults and the stereotypes we have from the other people?

ReputationRep:
    i dress like that sometimes, but other times i just wear jeans and a polo

ReputationRep:
    erm well i'm intending to spend most of the time in denim mini's ,tights, boots and long cardies(i may have a slight obsesssion with them)

they do all look so plain

dont care though i'm going to actually make the effort.

i'll go to my lectures in heels if i want

ReputationRep:
    May I ask, what is wrong with the way they are dressing in the original post? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    As this was posted in the StAs subforum, I imagine the OP was referring to students in St Andrews in particular.

Answer: yes, in St Andrews a large number of people do dress like that, particularly in the winter months. This is due to the cold weather, biting winds and their upper-middle-class backgrounds.

edit: so far the only other person who seems to even attend StAs in this thread is Imperceptible. Is it a coincidence she was the only one to give a decent answer, compared to the one-word replies, the stupid insults and the stereotypes we have from the other people?

To be honest, why do you need to know what the other students at your university wear?

ReputationRep:
    I still don't see what's wrong with what they're wearing in the first picture They're in Scotland, walking on the beach, and they're wearing coats and scarves...sounds like common sense to me. :rolleyes:

St Andrews has quite a mix of people so obviously there's a lot of variation in clothing. From people in tweed suits to others in trackies and hoodies, you'll find it all.

But if you're going to judge everyone and rule people out simply by what they're wearing, then you're going to have a tough time at university... :yep: Good luck with that :cool:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.