Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I think it's fair to say 95% of girls at my uni wear denim shorts and black tights.

ReputationRep:
    ew i do hope they dont all dress like that. although it wouldnt suprised me on open days i was horrified abotu the size of the wardrobes lol

ReputationRep:
    I don't see anything wrong with what they are wearing?

what should they be wearing? football strips? What is so wrong with people wanting to wear nice clothes - maybe everyone should just cover themselves in goosefat and walk around naked.

i imagine it will start out similar to last year, people will put effort in for what they wear to lectures/dinner for about 2 days before they realise no one really cares.

ReputationRep:
    Come on, kiddieinkies. Play nicely :p: I'd almost forgotten what started all this.

Since this is in the St Andrews subforum, it seems implicit that OP was particularly interested in the clothing styles here, although that doesn't completely exclude more general information. It's not a crime to be interested in what people like to wear, since it evidently does vary between universities.

I've mentioned this before about seeing Maths and Art History students sitting exams in the same venue: you can usually immediately tell who studies what by their clothing. Generally, the mathematicians are more slouchy/comfy, and the art historians make more of an effort and pay attention to the details of their styling. Do not be deterred by what one kind of student likes to wear - it is not necessarily representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    is that a girl or a boy? and who is it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    What a load of ****. If someone truly didn't care about conforming to some pre-determined identity, then i'd speculate they'd wear trackies and a hoodie - comfortable, practical and dispensable. If you think the above is 'neutral', then you are wrong. Those people still care about their appearance and are conveying a message by wearing that just like those you 'hate'.

And for the record, i'd say the most interesting people dress in their own way and don't conform to society, not the opposite.
    I think you've misread my post badly, maybe I didn't write it clearly enough... I do not favor the dress/appearance in the picture I used. You're right, it is conveying a message, it is a part of the group/category life.

ReputationRep:
    does it really matter?! people are dying in this country right now and stone the blinking crows your dress sense and what it determines about your personality is more important?! hurray for humanity!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by King Pieb)
    Yes, they do because every student is the same, listen to the same music, dance exactly the same way, have the same opinions.

/sarcasm

FFS, people are different. Some students might dress like that, but not all of them.
    Is your next thread going to be, "I want to be a lawyer, do I need to learn how to play golf?"
    Do i need to wear a **** and a pair of trousers to my lectures ? haha

ReputationRep:
    Why are people so stupid on this site and ask the most pointless of questions?
    Does it really matter if they do or don't ffs?

TSR = 99% of threads titled, [Im a virgin] [I got bullied at school] [Rate my pics] [Does this girl/boy fancy me] etc
    1% = Good discussions about very important things!

OY MODs and Owners of TSR, can we not make those figures the opposite way round?!!

ReputationRep:
    You have a great way of expressing yourself.
    =D

But still, it's a silly question.
    ;]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)

edit: so far the only other person who seems to even attend StAs in this thread is Imperceptible. Is it a coincidence she was the only one to give a decent answer, compared to the one-word replies, the stupid insults and the stereotypes we have from the other people?
    Oi!

I think I dress similar to the OP's pic. Maybe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mwfancy)
    I think you've misread my post badly, maybe I didn't write it clearly enough... I do not favor the dress/appearance in the picture I used. You're right, it is conveying a message, it is a part of the group/category life.
    Ok. "there are more obnoxious ways to dress, such as...(those) who then show this simply by picking an oppositional category of dress/style themselves" sort of suggests otherwise, but i'll take your word for it. I still can't quit understand your view on this though - are those who don't care about their appearance good? Or those that deliberately don't conform by dressing in their own way? Or those that are absolutely subscribed to society and dress blandly? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    this is strange....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M_E_X)
    (Image removed)
    You point being?

What the **** does my picture have to do with anything?

Would it be the fact, that I'm right and you have no comeback so resort to trying (and failing) to insult me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr-Dangerous)
    Do i need to wear a **** and a pair of trousers to my lectures ? haha

Yes, yes you do

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScarletBlaster)
    May I ask, what is wrong with the way they are dressing in the original post? :confused:
    Little is wrong with the clothes per se, but culturally this tends to be a deliberate expression of a group that a person has 'signed up' for. I guess the picture maybe exemplifies a more modest strand of douchy upper-middle class trendiness, playing the part of youthful "sophistication", while maintaining a high level of big picture apathy (no one pretend I'm lumping the upper-middle class).

(Original post by mwfancy)
    Little is wrong with the clothes per se, but culturally this tends to be a deliberate expression of a group that a person has 'signed up' for. I guess the picture maybe exemplifies a more modest strand of douchy upper-middle class trendiness, playing the part of youthful "sophistication", while maintaining a high level of big picture apathy (no one pretend I'm lumping the upper-middle class).
    Time to read some Hemingway?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Ok. "there are more obnoxious ways to dress, such as...(those) who then show this simply by picking an oppositional category of dress/style themselves" sort of suggests otherwise, but i'll take your word for it. I still can't quit understand your view on this though - are those who don't care about their appearance good? Or those that deliberately don't conform by dressing in their own way? Or those that are absolutely subscribed to society and dress blandly? :confused:
    Those who don't care about forcing appearances that place themselves among a category entailing further patterns of artificail behavoir "are good". But that doesn't mean to let go of a considerate appearance (cleanliness).

I usually keep a decent appearance, and sometimes a sharp appearance (because of women, or small concessions made to other expectations). The issue is whether dress and details of dress may reflect non-functional group subscription. Sometimes it's just a deliberate, gratuitous nuance that repeats itself - but is meant to signal membership of any of the many many "cultural" categories.

It is possible but not often likely (certain details will only be found on category subscribers) that an 'aesthetic' of dress someone genuinely arrives at is indistinguishable from that of a 'category' people place themselves. The way I'm talking also means that many people can and do dress the same, but without being subscribers of some group - in other words, maybe they dress sensibly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ekpyrotic)
    Time to read some Hemingway?
    Haven't and don't plan to anytime soon, but am curious what connection was suggested.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.