Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which degree + grade would you rather have? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Which degree + grade?
    Cambridge Economics 2:2
    7.23%
    Warwick Economics 1st
    92.77%

ReputationRep:
    Cambridge Economics 2:2 or Warwick Economics 1st?

Both are very good institutions for Economics. Cambridge is 1st/=1st/2nd and Warwick is 4th/=4th/5th (if you don't believe me, check league tables and the Economics forums).

So which would you rather have? Answer the poll and discuss your reasons

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by breakthru)
    Cambridge Economics 2:2 or Warwick Economics 1st?

Both are very good institutions for Economics. Cambridge is 1st/=1st/2nd and Warwick is 4th/=4th/5th (if you don't believe me, check league tables and the Economics forums).

So which would you rather have? Answer the poll and discuss your reasons
    Why do people continue to post crap like this. Only a true idiot rather have a 2:2. I would rather have a first from ANY UNIVERSITY than a 2:2 from Cambridge. Also, the vast majority of employers/universities for post grad courses would rather have a first from ANY UNIVERSITY than a 2:2 from Cambridge (even Cambridge would prefer the first).

Try getting onto a post grad course at Cambridge with a 2:2 Cambridge degree (you will fail).

If you think there is ANY COMPARISON between these two options, you are a very stupid child.

ReputationRep:
    I'll take the 1st please.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick is one of the top uni's for a lot of things, so I'll take a first please

ReputationRep:
    You copied the other thread!

ReputationRep:
    I have a friend who got a 2:2 in Maths at Cambridge a few years ago. He said he has failed to get any decent job, saying employers ask for a 2:1 or a 1st. He hasn't had one single employer make an exception because he happened to go to a university which happens to be more famous than most others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Just Another Student)
    I have a friend who got a 2:2 in Maths at Cambridge a few years ago. He said he has failed to get any decent job, saying employers ask for a 2:1 or a 1st. He hasn't had one single employer make an exception because he happened to go to a university which happens to be more famous than most others.
    is his name Adam?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    thats not even a choice a 1st at Warwick by far, Warwick is a top Uni.

:sigh: The first.

ReputationRep:
    Warwick first.

ReputationRep:
    I wondered how long before we'd have another "1st from University X vs Oxbridge lower grade" thread, by yet another person who doesn't know the first thing about higher education. I make it two weeks, if that.

Tedious.

ReputationRep:
    I would take the first.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    I make it two weeks, if that.
    Alas, not even close. The last such thread appeared not even two days ago.

ReputationRep:
    It'd be slightly trickier if the First was from a ***** University, but as it's from Warwick, then I'd definitely go for the first

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BJack)
    Alas, not even close. The last such thread appeared not even two days ago.
    I was aware of that one, but I let it slide on the (vague) originality of a sliding scale across universities (assuming anyone actually believes we can split them into tiers), but an explicit Oxbridge vs the rest thread hasn't been seen in at least a fortnight, which on this place, sadly, is better than usual.

ReputationRep:
    In addition to the other one from the day before yesterday, here are similar threads within the last four weeks, in this neck of the forum alone:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=952440

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=951257

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=949580

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=941943

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=946356

Therefore, we've had SEVEN such threads in a month. Isn't another one pushing it?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by 0404343m)
    Therefore, we've had SEVEN such threads in a month. Isn't another one pushing it?
    We're still debating the megathread idea.

*creates a thread called 'Would you rather have a 2.1 in Advanced Macroichthyology from Cambridge or a 2.2 in Equine Economancy from Warwick?" to pass the time until the question is finally resolved*

ReputationRep:
    warwick obviously....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    We're still debating the megathread idea.

*creates a thread called 'Would you rather have a 2.1 in Advanced Macroichthyology from Cambridge or a 2.2 in Equine Economancy from Warwick?" to pass the time until the question is finally resolved*
    how would the megathread idea work when you need loads of different polls? :confused:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Warwick. No question. Actually quite surprised two people voted for Cambridge. :eek:

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.