Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think I lost my job... for taking a weekend off Watch

• CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I started a job at a restaurant two and a half weeks ago.

I had a trip booked (flights and all) to visit my grandparents for four days in a different part of my country, which I told my new job about shortly after I started. I was told it was fine.

So I took the four days off and when I got back I called to find out my schedule for this week, and I'm told that I'm not on the schedule. Nobody can give me a reason why. The management are completely ignoring all my phone calls.

I quit another job for this one, and it's too late to get another summer job since I'm going back to university in 7 weeks.

Total *********. Did I do something wrong by asking for time off? If they said no, I wouldn't have taken the time off, but they didn't say no...

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you're not on the rota because you weren't there last week to confirm when you were available? And maybe management are busy?

Try them again, maybe go into the restaurant-do you have a contract with them? They can't just fire you for no reason! And if you have been fired, is there are possibility you can go back to your old employer?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Lell)
    Maybe you're not on the rota because you weren't there last week to confirm when you were available? And maybe management are busy?

Try them again, maybe go into the restaurant-do you have a contract with them? They can't just fire you for no reason! And if you have been fired, is there are possibility you can go back to your old employer?
    Oh yes I forgot to mention, I went into the restaurant today to pick up my pay cheque and there was a new boy doing my job. "When did you start?" "Today"

I can't go back to my old employer because I was only there for one shift before I got this job and quit.

ReputationRep:
    Oh....well it doesn't make sense that they would fire you...call them tomorrow and if they don't answer then go in and see them in person.

If they have fired you try not to panic too much (and maybe visit the CAB)....temp agencies may be a useful place to go.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    Oh yes I forgot to mention, I went into the restaurant today to pick up my pay cheque and there was a new boy doing my job. "When did you start?" "Today"

I can't go back to my old employer because I was only there for one shift before I got this job and quit.
    Sexism?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by la fille danse)
    I started a job at a restaurant two and a half weeks ago.

I had a trip booked (flights and all) to visit my grandparents for four days in a different part of my country, which I told my new job about shortly after I started. I was told it was fine.
    If restaurants work on rota shifts:
    You should give them as much notice as poss - I personally would have told them at interview.
    You may have also had to remind them of when you will be back on the rota.

ReputationRep:
    you should have told them at the interview - its only fair so that they can make arrangements.

However, they shouldnt have terminated your employment without telling you so you need to speak to someone.

ReputationRep:
    Think? Oh, okay then - when you know you have actually lost it we'll talk :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Restaurants are pretty cut throat. If you weren't there, they probably replaced you.

ReputationRep:
    Just phone them up and let them know you're available for next week's rota. Employers are not going to put you on timetable when they're not even sure if you're going to turn up - they'll give it to someone who has more commitment. I used to work in a pub and there was nothing worse than people being given shifts and then deciding at the last minute that they can't do it, meanwhile one of the staff who is actually available doesn't get any hours. You need to let managers know at least 2 weeks in advance if you seriously expect to get any shifts.

ReputationRep:
    They are clearly in the wrong if they said it was ok for you to go. Clearly management have no idea how to manage. Secondly, dont worry, a job always crops up for those who seek it somewhere down the line - if not immediately. Don't worry because many of my friends are in the same situation job wise. Hope you find one soon though.

ReputationRep:
    I really felt happy when I read the thread !

not because you're in trouble of coarse, but because all other threads here are *** !

I feel shy reading it actually !

back to the main issue here ..

you don't know may be what happened is better for you. It always happens that you feel sad about something and then it turns out to be the best thing that could happen.

It says in the Quran that you may hate something that is good for you, and you may like something that is bad!

You don't know, so just be happy and everything will go just fine !

Now, the steps to take are of coarse of your choice. I see that people's recommendations are the best you can do!

So, just go on, and remember.. always be optimistic ! =)

ReputationRep:
    ^ Very deep post!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.