Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    OK, look at it this way. In a firm, who gets the blame if the firm encouters problems?

If a firm enters a period of losses, decreasing solvency and negative cash-flows, all after a period of years of rising profits, a healthy balance sheet and positive cash-flow, is it the finance director or the CEO who is not responsible? The CEO is the face of the firm, so he/she would take the blame.

Now, Brown may have been the Chancellor during the boom years, but who was the PM? And what does the term Prime Minister mean? As the senior minister in the Cabinet, shouldn't Blair get the blame for the recession and not Brown?

I guess a better way of putting it is this - the PM, as the senior minister, can always overrule a Cabinet minister, because he/she IS the senior minister! Brown was unusual in that he and Blair made a deal when they were in opposition, they both were best friends, they both made up New Labour thinking, etc, but the PM is the face of the government. So for ALL government actions, the buck stops at him/her.

so, how can Brown get the blame for the recession, when Brown had a boss was senior to him?

ReputationRep:
    Brown gets the blame because stupid people like you think it's one person's, or even one country's fault.

ReputationRep:
    To blame one man in one country for what is obviously a global issue is foolish and inaccurate.

It kind of makes this thread null and void...however opposition candidates will generally make the argument you are referring to so they are put in a better public light after the current governments failings.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TableChair)
    Brown gets the blame because stupid people like you think it's one person's, or even one country's fault.
    :clap2:
    Couldn't have put it better myself...

ReputationRep:
    Don't be so silly. You're ignoring practical issues like management, day-to-day effort and initial decision-making on the basis of a 'face'. The CEO usually gets the blame for a prbolem in a firm; but this is never dependent on 'responsibility'. I guess it does depend on how you define it, but for me 'responsibility' comes with whether or not you were the impetus behind and sustainer of a problem. Not whether or not you were simply overseeing it. That's like saying that because a clumsy spotty teenager manages to start a fire in a McDonalds, the manager should get the sack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    The CEO usually gets the blame for a prbolem in a firm; but this is never dependent on 'responsibility'.
    What's a prbolem then? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TableChair)
    oh, i know it's a global recession.

Did i state otherwise?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    What's a prbolem then? :p:
    What do you mean? I'm saying that the CEO gets the sack simply because he's the 'face'. But in politics it's different.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    What do you mean? I'm saying that the CEO gets the sack simply because he's the 'face'. But in politics it's different.
    The spelling of the word...

:cool: I agree with your point tho...I think it might be the first time! :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    The spelling of the word...

:cool: I agree with your point tho...I think it might be the first time! :eek:
    Oh right, lol, I didn't notice. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    They have ended the 'cycle of boom and bust'. Really? No, they haven't. Labour, the likes of HBOS and RBS, stupid people who 'want it now' instead of saving, the Anglo-Saxon banking model in general buggered the whole economy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rajandkwameali)
    oh, i know it's a global recession.

Did i state otherwise?
    See title of thread.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.