Turn on thread page Beta

Guys with PUA material VS girls with short skirts and low tops watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    Right. I am going to call ******** on this statement. A lot of girls say it makes them feel good. But they never explain the why. It makes them feel good, because it looks good. How do they know it looks good, because it attracts guys. So actually you are really dressing subconsiously to be attractive to guys, whether or not you tell yourself it's because it feels good. I'm so tired of that statement tbh.
    Lots of things that I wear make me feel good, massive bows in my hair, loads of cat eyeliner and mega long hair extentions make me feel good, and do they make me feel good because it attracts guys? No. Its because I like it.
    You're not in my mind, you dont know how I think, thanks.
    Besides dressing in a way that makes us feel good is slightly different to a desperate guy with his cringey chat up lines.

ReputationRep:
    well i don't see why a bloke trying to use tips from PUAs should be seen to be decieptful just because it's not their material. it's down to them wanting to improve themselves. i see a girl asking her friends what dress ect makes them look the best as the same principle. it isn't their opinion, it's what their friends are saying makes them look the best.

also girls do not need to wear make-up. so why do it in the first place if it's not to look better to attract people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    Agreed. Women don't just try to look attractive so they can trick men into sleeping with them :rolleyes: Besides, when women doll themselves up, men KNOW they're dolled up. It hardly counts as a mind game. You can see makeup pretty easily.
    As if women do not play mind games during the initial stages of interaction. Honestly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Floofy)
    I think it's because guys use PUA as a kind mind game thing to get women. Whereas the girls you describe are just flaunting what they have. But I guess in the same way, that's also a mind game.

Look, we all play games. It happens. But when things are done through the internet, and gurus are consulted, it just seems kinda slimy.
    like fashion gurus you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DOJO)
    As if women do not play mind games during the initial stages of interaction. Honestly.
    I honestly don't. I can't stand mind games and have had a happy long-term relationship without them. But some girls probably do, yes. What particular mind games were you thinking of?

EDIT: Also, and I expect you will call ******** on this one, I think a lot of girls that are manipulative don't actually do it consciously and deliberately. They certainly don't read special books on how to trick men into bed with them ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n0c0ntr0l)
    Right. I am going to call ******** on this statement. A lot of girls say it makes them feel good. But they never explain the why. It makes them feel good, because it looks good. How do they know it looks good, because it attracts guys. So actually you are really dressing subconsiously to be attractive to guys, whether or not you tell yourself it's because it feels good. I'm so tired of that statement tbh.
    I think it's probably subconsciously to do with wanting other people to think nice things about you and approve of you, but it's not about sexually attracting men. And besides, it's not even directly about gaining approval. Why do I dress up to go out even though I'm really happy with my boyfriend and don't particularly want male attention? It's because if I look in the mirror and don't feel attractive, it makes me feel unhappy. Why am I trying to lose weight even though I know my boyfriend isn't bothered either way? Because it will make me feel better about myself. There is a massive difference between subconsciously seeking approval (which everyone does every day through their behaviour and speech) and reading books specifically on how to manipulate people.

EDIT: Having said all this, I've never read a PUA book and I've heard that they're good generally for increasing confidence and self-esteem, which of course is a positive. It's just all the pre-planned lines and that which I see as pretty creepy ...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren__x)
    Ive never worn a low cut top or short skirt with the sole intention of picking up a guy, thats probably the last on my list of reasons. I wear them because they make me feel good about myself and I like to feel girly in skirts, not because I care what other people think. Hell, if I did I wouldnt wear half the things I do.

Oh yeah, ugly guys+pick up material= cringeeeee.
    Why does it make you feel good about yourself? Because guys like to stare and comment about it. The sole reason it makes you feel good about yourself is because it looks good, looking good attracts men thats why you like it. It's just basic psychology were not trying to force you into a corner your already forced into a corner by nature it's not a bad thing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by celphtitled)
    Why does it make you feel good about yourself? Because guys like to stare and comment about it. The sole reason it makes you feel good about yourself is because it looks good, looking good attracts men thats why you like it. It's just basic psychology were not trying to force you into a corner your already forced into a corner by nature it's not a bad thing.
    Ill just copy and paste you what Id said before earlier on about that:

Lots of things that I wear make me feel good, massive bows in my hair, loads of cat eyeliner and mega long hair extentions make me feel good, and do they make me feel good because it attracts guys? No. Its because I like it.
    Besides dressing in a way that makes us feel good is slightly different to a desperate guy with his cringey chat up lines.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jelkin)
    I honestly don't. I can't stand mind games and have had a happy long-term relationship without them. But some girls probably do, yes. What particular mind games were you thinking of?

EDIT: Also, and I expect you will call ******** on this one, I think a lot of girls that are manipulative don't actually do it consciously and deliberately. They certainly don't read special books on how to trick men into bed with them ...
    No you are right! Not every girl plays mind games. My sister being another girl that doesn't, but they are rare I have met far too many cockteasers in my life.

One good friend of mine for example, behind her BF back flirts heavily with me whenever we talk implying something more (I wont go into details but you get the picture), but she will never ever act on it. Also, heard cases of girls faking pregnancies and all sorts of **** to **** around with the guys head. Another common game is when the girl is with a guy in a club, after the approach "Oh he is my bf" - e.g. plays hard to get. By the way the latter can be overcome if you know how.

Cockteasers though are definently the worse, they conciously know what they are doing just for the attention.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lauren__x)
    Ill just copy and paste you what Id said before earlier on about that:

Ok look, why do you like it? Eyeliner makes your eyes bigger and nicer, mega long hair extensions shows that your hair is awesome and healthy, bows in your hair are their to make you look cute. It's all the same stuff, I'm not saying it's there to soley attract men. There are many reasons.

-Social conditioning to make you want to look good.
    -Pressure from peer groups and competition between women to look good.
    -Attracting men.

The reason why it makes you feel nice is because of all these subliminal things, we are taught in this society looks get you everywhere so naturally people looking better will automatically feel better.

ReputationRep:
    The reaction will be interesting when Gambler and Kezia, two PUAs, are on Dragons Den next week.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.