Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Application and acceptance of international students Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi:hello:

I have a few queries regarding applications and the acceptance of international students into British universities.

I have probably had a bit of an odd education so far but I will post it anyway just to give you some idea of my current status.

NCEA Level 1 Achieved Age bracket: 15
    NCEA Level 2 Achieved (only spent half a year at College :confused: but still passed:ninja: ) Age bracket : 16

Whiterea Polytechnic: NCEA Level 3 Computer Administration and Receptionist Course (1/2 year)

Victoria University of Wellington: Certificate of University Preperation (1/2 Year)

• Focus on Humanities (Bridging Course) B-
    • Focus on Social Sciences (Bridging Course) A-
    • Academic Writing (essay writing skills and such) B-
    • Skills for University Study (competency with university computer systems, etc) B

I am currently enrolled in a 1st year World Religions paper and a 1st year introduction to International Relations paper at Victoria University of Wellington.

Ok so now you know my educational background. How would I be compared to someone who has just finished their last year of secondary schooling in the UK? Would I be looked over because I have not completed College?
    Also I am in the process of obtaining my British passport through my father’s side so I should be able to pay normal fees rather than international?

mainly though I would like to know how would I go about applying (consider my soon to be british citizenship) and would I be disadvantaged at all because of my previous education?

Regards Seth

P.S. Mods feel free to move this if it is in the incorrect section.

ReputationRep:
    I can't answer your questions about NZ education, but I can say that getting UK/EU funding is dependent upon being resident here for three years rather than being based on just citizenship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    I can't answer your questions about NZ education, but I can say that getting UK/EU funding is dependent upon being resident here for three years rather than being based on just citizenship.
    Hah thanks for that. What a B:mad2:TCH . Don’t suppose it helps having UK family living in the UK now does it? From what I have read it seems like they’re trying to stop anyone who is not of British or EU birth from paying local fees regardless of whether they are a British Citizen or EU Citizen. Also I can’t live in the EU or Britain for 3 years just to be eligible for local fees:confused: how do they work out if I've been doing it to save cash or if I've just been there to earn $$$$?

:rant: :stomp: :rant: ......pardon me :p: had to get that out of my system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by S|Kill)
    Don’t suppose it helps having UK family living in the UK now does it? From what I have read it seems like they’re trying to stop anyone who is not of British or EU birth from paying local fees regardless of whether they are a British Citizen or EU Citizen. Also I can’t live in the EU or Britain for 3 years just to be eligible for local fees:confused: how do they work out if I've been doing it to save cash or if I've just been there to earn $$$$?
    Having family in the UK is irrelevant if you haven't lived there yourself. Your reasons for living here are irrelevant, and you obviously didn't spot the contradiction in the bold bit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.