how can I make friends at uni? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
I've finished my first year at university and going into second year in september, but so far have been completely unable to make a single friend. I'm changing course in second year so hoping I'll be able to meet some new people in lectures and stuff (not changing because of the friend issue btw) but I'm totally unsure how it is I should approach people. People will already have their friendship groups it's not like freshers where you just talk to everyone, so how would you go about doing this?

Should I just randomly walk up to people and introduce myself or should I look for people alone to talk to or what? What should I say to them? I've joined a few societies and made a couple of acquaintances there, planning on joining some more next year so hopefully that'll work out it's just in lectures I'm really unsure how I could go about making friends.

How would you feel if in second year some randomer came up to you and started chatting?
shorty.loves.angels
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I would suggest general chit chat during the lecture. In french the class changed each semester so we were constantly meeting new people and most of the time it was just by randomly chatting before the lecture and during. Find out what people are upto... see if you get an invite...invite someone to somewhere you're going...find a common interest.

Most students are cool with meeing people, I met a lot of people in 2nd year
Future African game vet
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
take a cake!!! and just chat to people - and ensure that you don't offend anyone (well- you shouldn't be aming to do that anyway!) but yes, just be a generally nice person and you'll be fine
Redefined
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Join societies.
Raindrop87
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)

Should I just randomly walk up to people and introduce myself or should I look for people alone to talk to or what? What should I say to them? I've joined a few societies and made a couple of acquaintances there, planning on joining some more next year so hopefully that'll work out it's just in lectures I'm really unsure how I could go about making friends.

How would you feel if in second year some randomer came up to you and started chatting?
Talk to everyone, shake hands with them and say hey i'm 'Bob' hows it going? hopefully convo should flow.

Easier said than done I know, but i'm starting second year of uni too and am hoping to make more friends so i'll be right there with you buddy.
emmie19
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Societes and clubs yup, that's the best way I guess
You must be very shy...
Or go to a very small uni..
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (72)
75.79%
No (23)
24.21%

Watched Threads