Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've finished my first year at university and going into second year in september, but so far have been completely unable to make a single friend. I'm changing course in second year so hoping I'll be able to meet some new people in lectures and stuff (not changing because of the friend issue btw) but I'm totally unsure how it is I should approach people. People will already have their friendship groups it's not like freshers where you just talk to everyone, so how would you go about doing this?

Should I just randomly walk up to people and introduce myself or should I look for people alone to talk to or what? What should I say to them? I've joined a few societies and made a couple of acquaintances there, planning on joining some more next year so hopefully that'll work out it's just in lectures I'm really unsure how I could go about making friends.

How would you feel if in second year some randomer came up to you and started chatting?

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest general chit chat during the lecture. In french the class changed each semester so we were constantly meeting new people and most of the time it was just by randomly chatting before the lecture and during. Find out what people are upto... see if you get an invite...invite someone to somewhere you're going...find a common interest.

Most students are cool with meeing people, I met a lot of people in 2nd year

ReputationRep:
    take a cake!!! and just chat to people - and ensure that you don't offend anyone (well- you shouldn't be aming to do that anyway!) but yes, just be a generally nice person and you'll be fine

ReputationRep:
    Join societies.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Should I just randomly walk up to people and introduce myself or should I look for people alone to talk to or what? What should I say to them? I've joined a few societies and made a couple of acquaintances there, planning on joining some more next year so hopefully that'll work out it's just in lectures I'm really unsure how I could go about making friends.

How would you feel if in second year some randomer came up to you and started chatting?
    Talk to everyone, shake hands with them and say hey i'm 'Bob' hows it going? hopefully convo should flow.

Easier said than done I know, but i'm starting second year of uni too and am hoping to make more friends so i'll be right there with you buddy.

ReputationRep:
    Societes and clubs yup, that's the best way I guess
    You must be very shy...
    Or go to a very small uni..

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.