Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Civilization 4 watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else find it impossible to understand this game!!

ReputationRep:
    Nope. It's just a Civ game. I recommend reading the manual.

ReputationRep:
    lol at your sig pic!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teshla^^)

It's actually really fun and interesting when you learn the game mechanics.

Don't let the turn-based system get on your nerves :P

ReputationRep:
    Na i love turn based games.. Medieval 1 and Rome are my fav games...but this game is too in depth. Whats the best tactic? To create new settlers and just build settlements willy nilly or create loads of workers and build farms and roads etc so that my trade increases and my capital becomes a fortress?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Its pretty complicated i suppose, but i played civ 2 obsessively to the point where i know the attack, movement and defense of every unit in the game :o: . This was a minor adjustment.

Persist and all will become clear! What exactly don't you understand?

ReputationRep:
    It's a great game, takes some time to understand but is utter genius when you get into it.

ReputationRep:
    It takes a long time to get used to, but it's a brilliant game.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Na i love turn based games.. Medieval 1 and Rome are my fav games...but this game is too in depth. Whats the best tactic? To create new settlers and just build settlements willy nilly or create loads of workers and build farms and roads etc so that my trade increases and my capital becomes a fortress?
    Quick expansion is pretty key, although, especially at the beginning, waiting for the city to grow sometimes speeds things up.

Trading technologies whenever possible is beneficial. I tend to focus on economic technologies rather than military ones, although that would depend on the length of the game.

ReputationRep:
    It all comes down to the path you want to take.

You want to be a warmongering warloving warlord?

A nation lead by scientific breakthroughs

or are you going to sleep your way into victory and be a peaceloving, two faced, backstabbing diplomat.

You choose.

ReputationRep:
    Aight thanks, I shall implement these strategies tonight :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    easily one of the best games ever.
    in my top 3 definetly.

fallout 2, civilizaton 4 and worms world party !!! (and also: grim fandango, full throttle, duke nukem 3d)

ReputationRep:
    See http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=966251

You just need to understand the basic city screen - once you do that, everything else is easy.

Double click on your city. The bushel represents 1 food per turn, the hammer 1 production, the coin 1 gold. Each city automatically harvests the square it is built on; and each population means one square that you can harvest.

Each population eats 1 food per turn (maybe 2, I forget). Anything above that goes into your store - when its full, you get another person. Units and buildings have a certain number for production, when you've put that many hammers into the unit over a couple of turns the unit is finished. If you are building a worker or settler, any extra food gets converted into production instead of going into the store.

The most important thing is to expand and grow ASAP, food is the most important at the start. Once you've built your city, double click on it and make sure its harvesting the maximum food. When your city reaches about 2/3 people, build a worker. Once your city reaches about 5/6 people, start churning out settlers. You should keep building cities until you start getting raped for maintenance costs: you know when this is the case when you can't keep your science slider (at the top left) on 70% without losing money.

You should aim to keep your cities at the maximum size they can support before people start becoming unhappy. Unhappy people don't work, but still consume food, so if people are unhappy you should starve the city back to its optimum size. Do this by double clicking on the city and harvesting less food, so the store goes down and empties.

ReputationRep:
    I always oopt for massive early expansion, literally spitting out settlers as early as i can, spread out in the circle shape, reach the seas and then stop when i reach a bottle kneck at either end so its easy to defend.

Then just spend like mad on research, get to the majorly useful stuff first such as railroads and tanks. Then just steamroll your enemies as they attempt to fight tanks with archers.

ReputationRep:
    its waaay more confusing than CIV3 and my game didnt come with a manual
    plus on my laptop i cant use the arrow keys and stuff but have to use num lock and control the guys with like 789UIOJKL and stuff, its annoying!

ReputationRep:
    TSR Summer Civ4 PBEM!

ReputationRep:
    More cities isn't necessarily better, the addition of more cities increases your upkeep costs. You have to plan where to put your cities and when to put them and your cities should have a purpose. You may find that you will have to put city in the tundra in order to access iron or another resource, but with no food it will not grow very much, so don't rely on it to churn out troops. Timing you cities is also important. You shouldn't build a city just before you complete research for bronze or iron working as a better location may become apparant after the research has been completed. Also don't try and expand too quickly or too much (although if the map is crowded you may have to sacrifice some prosperity in order to ensure security) as settlers and workman strangle growth in a city. Don't build a settler until your city is atleast 3. Assign your workers task rather than them doing it themselves.

ReputationRep:
    I loooveee this game!!

ReputationRep:
    I was a bit overwhelmed by it at first, try not to think about all of the things you have to manage and learn all at the same time and just go with it, you'll eventually pick individual things up as you go.

How you start depends on many things, map size, amount of players, what civ you are (as they have different characteristics). But I'd say you should generally aim to get about 4 cities initially, if you get too many it will **** up your economy then you won't be able to advance.

What I tend to do is to make sure it puts me in a decent place on the map, you want a city that can have both a food supply AND a resource in your big fat cross (the initial border you get when you first place the city). Second of all DO NOT build a settler or a worker from go, it makes sense to, but when you make these they stop your city from growing in population, so just make a warrior or something, when your city is around size 3 switch to a settler, and finish whatever you were building afterwards. At the very minimum wait until your city is size 2.

Also, from the very beginning you can send your starting warrior or scout to explore the area, don't worry that your city is undefended because nobody will attack your city this early, and animals will keep away. Send your scout/warrior towards hills as you will reveal more of the map from there. Avoid animals and just keep exploring and taking huts. You'll be fine as soon as you've trained a new warrior back in your city. So just let that first warrior go wild.

When it comes to technologies don't make the rookie mistake of trying to learn everything. On my first game I thought i'd need all of the early techs (and you do) but if you learn them all you'll be way behind. I recommend first learning bronze working, then iron working (this will expose where the iron is on the map, and you'll need to know so you can send out your first settlers, though don't go too far away or it'll be too expensive). After Iron work just get archery so you can defend our city from the barbarians that will start popping up. In this time you should have created a worker, sometimes it's a good idea to start building something like stonehenge, and using the worker to cut down your trees to speed production, you don't have to build a wonder yet though.

Ignore religion techs for now, after you have archery you need the quickest way to get to alphabet, so you can trade. I usually learn animal husbandry next, it's convenient as I usually have cows for food, if you have only wheat or something, don't bother going for agriculture instead of animal husbandry because it will take longer for you to get to alphabet. After you have animal husbandry, get writing and then alphabet. Once you have alphabet you're probably the only civ that can trade, so have a look at your foreign menu and see what other techs the civs have, try not to trade away alphabet or iron working, and trade your less valuable techs for the techs you missed out on. If you do have to give away one of your more advanced techs, give only one of them away, and trade that same one to the others for others you missed. At this point you'll probably be tech leader, and hopefully you'll have a few cities, and maybe a wonder. If you did build stonehenge then a bit later you'll get a great prophet, you can use him to learn theology and gain a religion and send you into a new era. You'll be way ahead at this point, and hopefully you would have about 4 cities. don't build all of your cities before you get alphabet though, you need to look at your finances, you don't want 4 cities way before you have alphabet, and then find you have to drop your research to like 60%. Others will then beat you to it.

Hopefully by the time you've done all this, you'll have iron, and can therefore start putting together an army, at this point you can decide what kind of strategy you want in the game, and then adjust to it. This is just what I do sometimes btw. You will take a while to learn the game, it has to come gradually. Choose some allies and be kind to them, then they'll help you in the future, if you're on an island then a superior navy is best, just use common sense.

Good luck, this is one of the best games of all time. and use www.civfanatics.com.
    Yo will learn much more from here.

EDIT: Just realised you're from India, I guess you won't wanna found Christiansity then, you could always hold out until Islam (latest religion in the game), or if you're Hindu then you could grab it early, but it would have a big effect on my early plan, and you'd have to get there quick, especially if you're playing against a religious civ.
    If you do get Islam, then you'll have trouble if you convert immediately, you'll have to stay with whatever religion your allies have, and spread Islam into your allies cities, then convert, and try and convert them. If you're the only Muslim civ you'll have problems. Sometimes it's best to just avoid religion on the game, and just accept whatever your neighbours have and don't do anything about it, but if you do decide to found and spread a religion it can make you very rich and powerful.

ReputationRep:
    I like this game
    depends which version you have though I have the complete version (where the expansion packs are there too) but had to just play the origional to get used to it

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.