Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Air Canada watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Travelling with this company in August from Heathrow to LA, anyone had any good or bad experiences of this airline for long haul flights?

ReputationRep:
    Nooooo bad!!
    Well, they're not that bad, they do get you from A to B in one piece. But pretty much every other airline I have flown with have been better.
    One time I ended up in Toronto, sleeping on the floor for 6 hours because the plane we were on had 'electrical failures' and they couldn't get us a new one til morning.
    Another time they lost my bag for a week.
    Another time I missed my connection because my first AC flight was severaly delayed, they couldn't get me on a plane the same day and refused to put me up overnight, so I ended up 2 hours north of where I was supposed to be going and my parents had to drive up to get me.
    Saying that, I have flown with them a bunch of times and it's been ok. Food is generally pretty good, cabin crew are always super nice, and they are in the process of upgrading their fleet so you might luck out and get a nice new plane that works!

ReputationRep:
    ^^same as above, get a newish plane and you'll be laughing. I got a bad one - a 747 whose engines cut out just as we started moving off down the runway at new foundland (about to cross the atlantic ). They had to get the compressor out, which delayed us by about 20minutes, then i think we were all horrified at the noise the engines made as we took off and for the rest of the flight...

Still alive though so clearly no fundamental problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richie90)
    ^^same as above, get a newish plane and you'll be laughing. I got a bad one - a 747 whose engines cut out just as we started moving off down the runway at new foundland (about to cross the atlantic ). They had to get the compressor out, which delayed us by about 20minutes, then i think we were all horrified at the noise the engines made as we took off and for the rest of the flight...

Still alive though so clearly no fundamental problems.
    Yikes i wouldn't want to be flying on that Plane !

ReputationRep:
    Omg I'm scared now. Now I know why it was the cheapest fare!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    Have u booked the flights ?

ReputationRep:
    I've never had any huge problems with them and have flown with them many times. The food can be a bit meh if you are veggie (I once took 8 flights with them in one summer and had the same god damn food for every single flight) and once my flight from Vancouver to Toronto was delayed by 6 hours (but not ACs fault, there were power cuts in Toronto)...

ReputationRep:
    Don't be, the flight out there was great...it was a brand new airbus thing, more legroom in economy than i've ever had before!! I'm just over 6ft and my knees were a good 1 or 2 inches from the seat in front!

The crew are extremely pleasant and went out of their way to make us comfortable!

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Canada so I fly with them alot. They're not the best airline out there, I mean like people have said, they get you from point A to B which is the top priority am I right? Food is terrible on the planes but other than that I haven't had many problems....

ReputationRep:
    I would definitly recommend BA tbh

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshua3)
    Unless they strike .. (really hope not cos i'm flying BA soon)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshua3)
    No! not with their potential strike action! (as always!! - there a shi**y airline anyway - air Canada is much better, just came back from Toronto last week - brilliant service, friendly crew and we actually arrived half an hour early!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by isabella)
    I doubt they will, that sort of action could bugger the airline completely. At least at the moment whilst they're working for free they might still have a paid job in 5 months...

ReputationRep:
    Wow, cant believe the majority of comments about Air Canada are negative! I've never had any problems with them plus nearly everytime i've flown with them i've been upgraded to First Class (hell yeah!) guess they must really like my face

ReputationRep:
    Have u booked the flights ?
    I have. Most of the fleet seems recently refurbished. I think there are just 3 planes out of the whole lot that aren't. I'm quite looking forward to it now actually, after reading some of the other comments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Richie90)
    I doubt they will, that sort of action could bugger the airline completely. At least at the moment whilst they're working for free they might still have a paid job in 5 months...
    The fact the media is all over it though, means most people are going to stay away from BA incase they go bust, or strike and people lose their flights. Bit of a shame really.

ReputationRep:
    Isabella! LOVE that name!.......Yeah, hopes not. I flew BA recently (albeit business class) and it was amazing and great service, plus the seats were like lying on a cloud, I kid u not. sooooooooooooo comfortable :woo:

ReputationRep:
    I flew with them about a year ago. There were no problems and they were just as good as any other company.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm from Canada and have flown from Toronto/Ottawa to Heathrow and back six times. I also make frequent trips back and forth from Toronto to Ottawa. I have never had any problems (touch wood). The cabin crew is always very pleasant. All of the fleet have now been completely refurbished, so each seat has it's own tv and such. Food isn't too bad... and alcohol is free haha. But I'm flying with them in a couple of weeks when I move to the UK and I have no doubts about them...

ReputationRep:
    Travelling with this company in August from Heathrow to LA, anyone had any good or bad experiences of this airline for long haul flights?

I'm from Canada, so I might be a little biased. It's sort of a national pasttime in Canada to bash Air Canada. But, honestly, I have never had any problems with them. Their trans-Atlantic flights are, in fact, some of the most comfortable ones I have taken.

I believe their entire fleet has recently been refurbished, and it's much nicer now! I would recommend them!!

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.