Turn on thread page Beta

Informal Discussion With Admissions Tutor, What to Expect? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I rang up the Admissions Tutor for a place on a foundation year course (only to study the foundation year before transferring. this is allowed)
    He asked me what qualifications I had, I told him. (It is within limits on the website of 80 points, I have 120)
    He said "Can you come in for a visit? Tuesday at noon ok? You see you're slightly below the entry for what we'd normally accept for the foundation year, however we can be a bit creative in terms of your experience etc."
    I said "is it going to be an interview type thing" to which he replied "in the loosest sense of the term, it will simply be an informal chat about your suitability for the course."

What do you guys think? Anything I should be particularly prepared for or be expecting? I really hope I can get in. I turned down my chance last year (same offer as what I'm applying for now) but turned it down due to family issues (which I can prove with documentation, diagnosis letters etc).
    I'm thinking smart suit and going there with the one aim of really showing my commitment to working hard and achieving good grades/scores or whatever you call them.

Any help appreciated.

EDIT: I've applied to Salford Uni, if thats in any way relevant.

ReputationRep:
    Physics with Foundation Year (Just Year 1 though)
    To go on to study Aviation Technology with Pilot Studies.
    Aim of completing my fATPL and flying commercially.
    Working as a Secure Aircraft Cleaner at the airport.
    Salford has always appealed to me, erm.. reasons wise. I'll write some down before I go and say that my visit has concreted that.

Shirt and tie alright? No jacket.

ReputationRep:
    The only part I will find difficult is that the bulk of the reason I want to study at Salford is for the Aviation course I would be studying after the Foundation Year. The FY is because I do not meet the requirements for the Aviation course and would like to brush up on my maths and physics before I do it.

Do they actually do that, even for a foundation year? Which is designed for people with low physics and maths capabilities? I will revise the basics then, Newtons laws and things like that? I'm hoping that my passion for what I want to do in life should be able to see me through along with my learning to fly, but then again we'll just have to wait and see. Its a long way to travel to come back empty handed, so I'll have to make sure that I don't!

I wouldn't honestly expect them to quiz you on maths/ physics in an informal interview although they might ask you what areas do you consider to be your weakest or that you have found most difficult / challenging.

In your shoes I would make sure I knew about the course (foundation and subsequent years) and what modules would be available and be able to talk engagingly about why they were of interest, and why that course at that uni is more suited to your needs than others that are available elsewhere.

Good luck

Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.