The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Dont listen to all those saying 'F your dad go' because thats the worst and most stupid thing you could do, try and talk to him and if that doesnt help then just take it (even though it'll be hard) and dont go, disobeying your father is something i know he wont take seriously in which you'll most likely regret for a very long time.
Reply 21
Erm, I know what my dad is doing is terrible to me and it hurts me unbelivably much inside, but please don't swear at him on here :-/

I only dread that he reads this since it's the family PC :frown:
YES. Ofcourse your allowed to go to your friends funeral. This seems to have nothing to do with religion- just culture. White people can be Muslims too!! Go to the funeral. Your dads being totally ignorant and pig-headed!! He was your friend for gods sake!!
Reply 23
Hopelessly Hopeful
:-/

That's so ****** up

It's only believed by some muslims, not by most. I don't want you to think all muslims go around doing that lol. The worst thing is, my parents expect me to say it too. I just sort of mumble under my breath so it sounds like im saying it.

Unfortunately, my douchebag family are those kind of muslims. My parents are also openly racist. :frown:
Reply 24
Anonymous
So no? Urgh, the free-mixing was only because of school (didn't get into any of the local girls schools - but boy am i glad xD) but I really doubt they'll split up the men and women there..

Urgh, it's almost impossible for me to go at the moment, and i feel like total **** :frown:

Are you actually a Muslim..? Having Muslim parents doesn't mean you automatically are a Muslim.
Well im a muslim and i dont think there is any harm in attending his funeral. He was your friend afterall and you do owe him.....I would say go, if your dad finds out, well you can deal with that later.
Reply 26
booraad
Are you actually a Muslim..? Having Muslim parents doesn't mean you automatically are a Muslim.

Well, I've always been taught to just accept the faith, there was never any opportunity for me to think, to have a chance to make my own decisions....it was just expected from all of us tbh

I don't actually know at all. I pray (expected to with the family), but I don't know if I feel anything towards God anymore :/ Maybe it's just my family giving me a warped stand towards Islam, their culture, I don't know :-S
Reply 27
Anonymous
Well im a muslim and i dont think there is any harm in attending his funeral. He was your friend afterall and you do owe him.....I would say go, if your dad finds out, well you can deal with that later.

Really? Thanks for that :smile:

I think I might just go and pretend I'm off to a library/the local mosque or something :/
No
(edited 12 years ago)
I am sorry to say that but your father is a massive ******* idiot !

I can't believe there are people who think like that !

I am so sorry for your friend. If you don't want to regret it for the rest of your life, go to the funeral. Nothing and no one has the right to stop you and make you feel guilty about it ! For god's sake...it's your best friend's funeral we are talking about here...you shouldn't even be thinking of that.
Psyk
Sounds like it's not much to do with religion, it's more to do with the fact your dad is a complete ****.

I agree. :mad: Seriously, what a control freak.

If you can't go to the funeral, you can always visit the grave at some point to say your goodbye, right?
Reply 31
**** your dad, go anyway.
Reply 32
Anonymous
My best friend died of cancer recently (at only the age of 15) and his funeral is going to be next week. I was so shocked when I heard the news, he meant so much to me and I haven't stopped crying since.

But my dad always shouts at me when he sees me crying in my bed (when I think I'm alone and just let everything out). Apparently 'he's just a white man, what does he mean to you?' I'm not allowed to argue back, to argue that regardless of colour, race, religion, whatever I am totally hurt and genuinely really really saddened by his death, it hurts so much because I'm meant to be 'daddy's good little girl who cooks and cleans and stays at home'. URGH, it makes me so angry ...

'Your brothers in Palestine are being murdered every day and do you cry then?'

That's all he ever drills in me, but what the hell do random men in Palestine have to do with me?!?

And now he's not letting me go to his funeral because of our cultural/religious differences apparently and the fact that he's male

But Muslims, is he actually allowed to do this?? Is there anything in the Quran that says we can't go to others' funerals??

:frown:

Yes you can go but you're not (obviously) allowed to take part in any religious ceremony. The fact that he is male and you female is irrelevant once a person dies. There is little chance of you two fraternising or becoming pregnant with a dead man.
Reply 33
Meus
Yes you can go but you're not (obviously) allowed to take part in any religious ceremony. The fact that he is male and you female is irrelevant once a person dies. There is little chance of you two fraternising or becoming pregnant with a dead man.

I think (Even though I went to a mixed school) is arguing that I'll be 'mixing with men' (albeit mourning men) there... it just seems like a pointless argument that will never go anywhere, unless I just pluck up the courage to just lie and go (which I think I'll probably just do)

Thanks anyway
Go for it. I'm a muslim and had it been a non-muslim friend of mine, I would definitely go.
Lizia
You don't think she'd regret passing up a chance to say goodbye to her friend "for a very long time"? If she disobeys her father and he flips out, there will (hopefully) be many years left for her to try and rectify the damage caused, and then if he won't make amends then she knows he's not worth bothering with. If she doesn't go to her friend's funeral, she can't ever change that or make the situation right.

OP, go to your friend's funeral if it's what you want to do. I respect religion as a whole, but this is ****** up beyond belief. Why implicitly condone such abhorrent racism and let your father think you'll submit every time he has a possessive hissy fit?

Lying to her father and not getting caught would be ideal but if he were to find out i think she would regret it far more, her dad seems liek someone who wouldnt let it go for years maybe the rest of her life, and maybe even go to the extremes.
Reply 36
You should go for your friend's sake. Regardless of religion or race.
Reply 37
Anonymous
I think (Even though I went to a mixed school) is arguing that I'll be 'mixing with men' (albeit mourning men) there... it just seems like a pointless argument that will never go anywhere, unless I just pluck up the courage to just lie and go (which I think I'll probably just do)

Thanks anyway

So he allows you to free mix in a public school yet thinks you'll come home knocked up from a funeral? Your mature enough to know what is allowed and what isn't (and the reasons behind them). Your father however is behaving immaturely and ignorant. Make your own decision.
Oh my god, this is YOUR friend!! just go to the funeral, i think to be honest your dad just doesn't understand and never will but its nothing to do with him and you need to go for you and for your friend.

If your dad gets mad, just try to explain that it doesn't matter what colour his skin was or what religion he was, he meant the world to you as a friend.
Reply 39
Your Dad is really disrespectful. Does race matter in this situation?

Latest

Trending

Trending