Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslims, am I allowed to go to my white friends funeral? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    'he's just a white man, what does he mean to you?'

'daddy's good little girl who cooks and cleans and stays at home'.

'Your brothers in Palestine are being murdered every day and do you cry then?'

And now he's not letting me go to his funeral because of our cultural/religious differences apparently and the fact that he's male

But Muslims, is he actually allowed to do this?? Is there anything in the Quran that says we can't go to others' funerals??
    Well, what an arse.hole he is. People wonder why there is hostility between the races in this country and blame is normally attributed to 'white' people.

I can't believe your asking permission on the grounds of religious/race issues. If you don't go, you will become your father.

ReputationRep:
    i think your dad should be arrested for being an exremist.

im sorry about your friend, i have lost my best friend recently aswell and i know how it feels.

ReputationRep:
    I was ******* shocked 'he's just a white man'
    but has he never heard of white Muslims, rascism has absolutely no place in Islam, it is expressedly forbidden
    ridiculous

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anisha.doshi)
    Sorry, what? I didn't understand this..
    when someobe died,poeple used to hire beggar women to go and cry and be lamentful and dramatic over the grave. The more women around a grave lamenting, the more kudos. So, a rule banning women from the graveyard was created to stop this.

ReputationRep:
    Your father is a bigot and you should take no advice from him.

(Original post by geminibubblegum)
    when someobe died,poeple used to hire beggar women to go and cry and be lamentful and dramatic over the grave. The more women around a grave lamenting, the more kudos. So, a rule banning women from the graveyard was created to stop this.
    oh! Okay I get it now. :o:

But now, they can lift the ban can't they? Would people still do that anymore?

ReputationRep:
    That's terribly sad, I feel so sorry for you. Perhaps you could say goodbye some other way? Maybe visit his grave after the funeral? I don't know what to say about your dad, all you can do it outright defy him but I get the impression you wouldn't want to do that. I just hope that you're a more open minded person than your father is when your an adult. I'm sorry about what happened to your friend.

ReputationRep:
    Tell him where he can stick his ivory tower.

Just go - you've got every right to.

ReputationRep:
    There is hadith where the Prophet saw a coffin being carried in the streets of Madinah. The Prophet stood up and strted crying. Someone told him that it was a Jew, the Prophet continued to cry at the strangers death regardless.

Tell your dad abou the incidnt, you should go and pay your rspects to your friend.

ReputationRep:
    According to an article I read, you can go to his funeral.
    But don't forget that you are in a christian church.You shouldn't pray to any religion inside a Church, if you are a Muslim.Its better if you leave the Church immediately after seeing your friend..

ReputationRep:
    Ok, I guess I'm a Christian, though I don't go to Church, but I celebrate Christmas, Easter etc..

If you're friend meant that much to you, go to the funeral. All lives are worth the same, it shouldn't matter what colour skin, religion you are...

Go to the funeral. Pay your respects - surely you're friend is worth that.

ReputationRep:
    My best friend died of cancer recently (at only the age of 15) and his funeral is going to be next week. I was so shocked when I heard the news, he meant so much to me and I haven't stopped crying since.

But my dad always shouts at me when he sees me crying in my bed (when I think I'm alone and just let everything out). Apparently 'he's just a white man, what does he mean to you?' I'm not allowed to argue back, to argue that regardless of colour, race, religion, whatever I am totally hurt and genuinely really really saddened by his death, it hurts so much because I'm meant to be 'daddy's good little girl who cooks and cleans and stays at home'. URGH, it makes me so angry ...

'Your brothers in Palestine are being murdered every day and do you cry then?'

That's all he ever drills in me, but what the hell do random men in Palestine have to do with me?!?

And now he's not letting me go to his funeral because of our cultural/religious differences apparently and the fact that he's male

But Muslims, is he actually allowed to do this?? Is there anything in the Quran that says we can't go to others' funerals??

I understand your situation, but unfortunately, you have to listen to your father and obey him by not attending the funeral.
    It would've been a different case if this person was a relative. It is permissible for a Muslim to attend a non-Muslim’s funeral if the non-Muslimis a relative, such as a mother, father, brother or other relative, but it is not permissible to join in the prayers or any other rites of their religion.

ReputationRep:
    Well it's good to see that Islam is a religion that is all-embracing and treats every human being with the love, respect and equality that they deserve, that the sanctity of all human life is recognised, and that the death of any human being is treated the same as the death of another regardless of race or religion.

ReputationRep:
    Of course you can. Islam DOES NOT forbid you from that!!!!!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrStick)
    I understand your situation, but unfortunately, you have to listen to your father and obey him by not attending the funeral.
    It would've been a different case if this person was a relative. It is permissible for a Muslim to attend a non-Muslim’s funeral if the non-Muslimis a relative, such as a mother, father, brother or other relative, but it is not permissible to join in the prayers or any other rites of their religion.
    I agree.Don't forget you should obey your parents according Quran.

ReputationRep:
    I think you should just go, regardless of what your dad says. He is just being ridiculous. If you don't go, you might feel even worse.
    So sorry for the loss of your friend, btw. :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've always been taught to just accept the faith, there was never any opportunity for me to think, to have a chance to make my own decisions....it was just expected from all of us tbh

I don't actually know at all. I pray (expected to with the family), but I don't know if I feel anything towards God anymore :/ Maybe it's just my family giving me a warped stand towards Islam, their culture, I don't know :-S
    and the indoctrination that is faith continues in its viscous cycle as it does and always has done, slam it into the kids head and force them to believe. No child is born a muslim, or a christian, or a hindu or a jedi, a parent makes them into one.

and OP if your dad is so worried about his palestine brothers he can get sod off back to them. Your father is a racist piece of offal hiding behind his faith to justify his own misguided attitude. If he lives in the UK he must accept that not everyone (thankfully) thinks like him

You on the other hand are showing yourself to be a grieving decent human being. You need to decide whats more important, your dads outdated racist attitude, or the memory of your friend who died horribly young.

Personally id go to the funeral

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 35mm_)
    Nowhere in the Qu'ran does it say that Muslims aren't allowed to be frieds with non-Muslims, nor does it say you're not allowed to attend their funerals. Where are you getting your odd beliefs from?
    i didnt say it did ..and i sed i dont agree with the idieiology so that all i got to say..i got so many white friends so i dont belive in such things

ReputationRep:
    Islamofacism in its purest form.

Quran (9:84) - Nor do thou ever pray for any of them that dies, nor stand at his grave; for they rejected Allah and His Messenger, and died in a state of perverse rebellion. (Yusuf Ali's translation)
    - http://al-quran.info/#&&sura=9&aya=8...=rows&ver=1.00

Try reading the Quran in English someday. I did. I'm an ex-Muslim now. Became an atheist.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 18, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.