Turn on thread page Beta

Muslims, am I allowed to go to my white friends funeral? watch

ReputationRep:
    The more people quote from the Quran the more utterly disgusted I am by it.

At least the Christians largely ignore terrible rules.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anisha.doshi)
    But now, they can lift the ban can't they? Would people still do that anymore?
    as per usual scholars are divided. IMO it's fine for a one time thing, such as a funeral. It's a sign of respect. I just think it's a different way of rememberance- you think about them at home rather than going and talking to their gravestone, say

OP,
    you are in a bit of a conundrum here, because although I don't see why you can't make an exception and go, you should respect your parents.
    i know this sounds a bit weak, but just go make yourselves some tea, and talk about your emotions. maybe your dad's worried there was somehting more than friendship between you two because dads are weird or somehting like that. ask him if he will accompany you, say you'll only have to go for a minute, pay your respects and leave?
    im sure he loves you and if you really reach out to him he'll understand. maybe write a letter if talking is too much?

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Quran (9:84) - Nor do thou ever pray for any of them that dies, nor stand at his grave; for they rejected Allah and His Messenger, and died in a state of perverse rebellion. (Yusuf Ali's translation)
    - http://al-quran.info/#&&sura=9&aya=8...=rows&ver=1.00

Try reading the Quran in English someday. I did. I'm an ex-Muslim now. Became an atheist.
    but...that's crazy!

ReputationRep:
    So many stereotypes in the OP

(Original post by 35mm_)
    Nowhere in the Qu'ran does it say that Muslims aren't allowed to be frieds with non-Muslims
    Erm, yes it does.

Quran (5:51) - O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust. (Yusuf Ali's translation)
    - http://al-quran.info/#&&sura=5&aya=5...=rows&ver=1.00

Get your facts straight. I wonder how many "Muslims" here have actually read the Quran in English. I challenge you to keep your faith after doing so. I couldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anisha.doshi)
    but...that's crazy!
    don't see why really. Allah=God, people who reject God=scum

Scum who die shouldn't be respected nor prayed for since their going to be in Jahannam anyway.

Might not be nice to non-Muslims but if your Muslim it's just the way it is. I'm Atheist anyway so I'm glad they wont waste time praying over my grave.

ReputationRep:
    And now he's not letting me go to his funeral because of our cultural/religious differences apparently and the fact that he's male

But Muslims, is he actually allowed to do this?? Is there anything in the Quran that says we can't go to others' funerals??
    Are you female, by any chance?

I think he seems to resent the fact that you were friends with him in the first place, because he is under the misconception that Islam prohibits men and women from beng friends. I think he is also under the misconception that Islam prohibits women from attending funerals at all.

Maybe you might try to explain to him that he's mistaken on both counts.

ReputationRep:
    Your dad's a ******* jap's eye.

ReputationRep:
    Erm, yes it does.

Quran (5:51) - O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust. (Yusuf Ali's translation)

Get your facts straight. I wonder how many "Muslims" here have actually read the Quran in English. I challenge you to keep your faith after doing so. I couldn't.
    Thanks for that, I didn't know. Why are you hiding under anon? It's not like you were offending me or anything.

ReputationRep:
    He's also a Muslim *******, tell him his brothers are getting killed because they strap bombs to themselves and dying is a consequence of this?

(Original post by joey11223)
    don't see why really. Allah=God, people who reject God=scum

Scum who die shouldn't be respected nor prayed for since their going to be in Jahannam anyway.

Might not be nice to us but if your Muslim it's just the way it is. I'm Atheist anyway so I'm glad they wont waste time praying over my grave.
    Well, there's not much I can say tbh. :sigh: But because of this, the OP and others like her would be hurting. I s'pose that's life.

You've just gotta make a decision OP: go or don't. Most (if not all) people have told you to go. But now it's really up to you.

ReputationRep:
    I ******* hate people who take their religion that seriously, your dad is a prick. In any religion they should respect the dead, whoever they are. Go to the funeral, tell your dad to piss off.

When religion overrides respect, honour and common human decency it has failed and should be thrown away.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Your father is a *******.

Go to your friends funeral and say your goodbyes He clearly meant a lot to you. Oh, remind your dad he is free to **** off to Palestine whenever he pleases and leave us "white men" to it. What a racist prick he is.
    Exactly! Why do people who originate from other countries come to Britain and then complain about where they are living in a way which causes or propogates segregation and inter-racial/ inter-religious tension (I have no issue with immigrants). If you don't like it you are free to return to your country of origin and then shout your hatred from there!

ReputationRep:
    Erm, yes it does.

I think you missed the historical context of this verse.

"The outcome of the conflict in Arabia between Islam and unbelief (kufr) had not crystallized. Although Islam had become a formidable force owing to the daring, courage and sacrifices of its followers, the forces opposed to it were also tremendously powerful. To an objective observer it must have seemed that either party had an equal chance of success, and so the hypocrites, apparently an integral part of the Muslim body politic, sought to maintain good relations with the Jews and the. Christians as well. They expected refuge and protection from the Jews in case Islam was defeated. Moreover, the Jews and Christians held the greatest economic power in Arabia insofar as the banking system and the greenest and most fertile regions of Arabia were in their possession. For these reasons the hypocrites were keen to maintain good relations with them: they thought that to regard the conflict between Islam and unbelief as crucially important, and to sever their relations with all those currently in conflict with Islam, would be too great a risk both politically and economically."

The Qur'an is not saying that no Muslim should ever make friends with a Jew or a Christian. The Qur'an is saying that at this particular time, during the war between the Muslims and the Meccan polytheists, the group of Muslims should not be expecting the group of Jews and Christians to make good allies.

ReputationRep:
    I'm shocked.... I can't say I fully understand where your faith starts and your Dad's views take over but still.... stand up for yourself whichever it is! Its wrong!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    I think you missed the historical context of this verse.

"The outcome of the conflict in Arabia between Islam and unbelief (kufr) had not crystallized. Although Islam had become a formidable force owing to the daring, courage and sacrifices of its followers, the forces opposed to it were also tremendously powerful. To an objective observer it must have seemed that either party had an equal chance of success, and so the hypocrites, apparently an integral part of the Muslim body politic, sought to maintain good relations with the Jews and the. Christians as well. They expected refuge and protection from the Jews in case Islam was defeated. Moreover, the Jews and Christians held the greatest economic power in Arabia insofar as the banking system and the greenest and most fertile regions of Arabia were in their possession. For these reasons the hypocrites were keen to maintain good relations with them: they thought that to regard the conflict between Islam and unbelief as crucially important, and to sever their relations with all those currently in conflict with Islam, would be too great a risk both politically and economically."

The Qur'an is not saying that no Muslim should ever make friends with a Jew or a Christian. The Qur'an is saying that at this particular time, during the war between the Muslims and the Meccan polytheists, the group of Muslims should not be expecting the group of Jews and Christians to make good allies.
    Thanks for showing the quote in context, it's made me less irritated by it now. It's strange how those who want to condemn a religion show absolutely no context.

ReputationRep:
    The prophet used to go to funerals of other faiths...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thaana)
    But don't forget that you are in a christian church.You shouldn't pray to any religion inside a Church, if you are a Muslim.Its better if you leave the Church immediately after seeing your friend..
    Never heard of that before. Do you have a Qur'anic quote of Hadith to support it? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    LMAO...Ok I'm a Christian but I am sure that if you open any religious book it will not say "YOU ARE FORBIDDEN TO ATTEND THE FUNERAL OF A WHITE MAN"...This is just pathetic.

ReputationRep:
    you are allowed to go OP

http://qa.sunnipath.com/issue_view.a...=3287&CATE=168

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 18, 2009
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.