Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Muslims, am I allowed to go to my white friends funeral? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Erm, yes it does.

Quran (5:51) - O ye who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah guideth not a people unjust. (Yusuf Ali's translation)
    - http://al-quran.info/#&&sura=5&aya=5...=rows&ver=1.00

Get your facts straight. I wonder how many "Muslims" here have actually read the Quran in English. I challenge you to keep your faith after doing so. I couldn't.
    What if her friend wasn't Jewish and wasn't a Christian though?

ReputationRep:
    this is all complete lies, why are any of you fools even responding?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hairychimpanzee)
    this is all complete lies, why are any of you fools even responding?
    Because I'm bored

ReputationRep:
    God teaches us throughout the Quran that there are righteous Jews and Christians. As such there is no prohibition for Muslims to be friends with Jews, Christians or people of any other faith who are of good character.
    Please read!
    http://www.islamicity.com/articles/A...ef=IC0608-3072

ReputationRep:
    My best friend died of cancer recently (at only the age of 15) and his funeral is going to be next week. I was so shocked when I heard the news, he meant so much to me and I haven't stopped crying since.

'Your brothers in Palestine are being murdered every day and do you cry then?'

That's all he ever drills in me, but what the hell do random men in Palestine have to do with me?!?

And now he's not letting me go to his funeral because of our cultural/religious differences apparently and the fact that he's male
    Your father has no right to stop you from going to the funeral of someone who meant a lot to you, whatever his views are. If he wants to be a racist prat, he can, but what he thinks has nothing to do with what you believe. He also has no legal or moral right to try and force his bigoted views on to you, wherever he's got them from.

If you want to avoid conflict with him, you could pretend the funeral is on another day as someone's already said. Even if this is impossible, you should go anyway. It's what you want to do.

Oh, and if you're worried about your dad finding people swearing at him, press 'ctrl + H'. A bar will come up on the side, it's your internet history. Just right click on the one that says 'www.thestudentroom.co.uk' and delete it. He won't be able to see you've even been on this site, let alone what you've posted or read.

(this bit detracts from the topic somewhat, but I thought I'd add it in anyway)

From your other posts, it sounds like you're not even sure that you're a muslim. You should do some reading about other faiths, or atheism. "There is no such thing as a religious child, only a child with religious parents" (Richard Dawkins), after all. You have every right to choose your own faith, views, morals and friends, and you shouldn't forget that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by saab_101)
    Yes, according to the religion, he is allowed to do this. :s In fact, according to some hadith, when passing a graveyard with non-muslim graves, a muslim must say, "wa basharakum bin nar" - may you burn in the fire. It's bits of the religion like that that i hate. And women are not supposed to visit the graveyard anyway.

This had happened to me a few years ago, my friend was hit by a bunch of drunk idiots in their car. i went to the funeral anyway. Although tbh I knew that my parents wouldn't allow it, so i told them the funeral was on some other day, and that I was going somewhere else.

I'm sorry for your loss, no one deserves to go at 15. Go to the funeral, deal with your father afterward. It won't be easy or nice, but you'll always regret it otherwise.
    Why on earth would there be a rule that you have to walk past graveyards and say something like that, when the Qur'an instructs you to, in regards to other LIVING people of other religions:

"Say: O unbelievers!

I do not serve that which you serve,
    Nor do you serve Him Whom I serve, 

Nor am I going to serve that which you serve,

Nor are you going to serve Him Whom I serve:

You shall have your religion and I shall have my religion."
    (from the Qur'an, surah Al Khafiroon, literally 'The Unbelievers').

And the Prophet himself dealt and worked happily with people of other faiths - his daughter even married a person of no faith, and he at one point married a Coptic Christian.

There is NOTHING in Islam to stop you from going to the funeral of your friend!! I encourage you to do so. As the Prophet said - even thinking a kind thought is an act of charity. Your love for your friend, and your kindness in wanting to honour him, is no doubt more important in the eyes of Allah than anything else.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by [email protected])
    What if her friend wasn't Jewish and wasn't a Christian though?
    Do you know when this verse was revealed, its context, and what it related to? I bet not. It's not enough to just read the Qur'an in English - you have to study its history, and the time of the Prophet especially, to know what things refer to or mean. Remember, the Qur'an was revealed in response to specific events, over time.

ReputationRep:
    If your dad met a Caucasian Muslim his racist head would no doubt explode with confusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tazarooni89)
    Never heard of that before. Do you have a Qur'anic quote of Hadith to support it? :confused:
    I am really suspicious of this. Where did you get this from? In many places in the world, Muslims pray in churches and synagogues, and under Islamic historical rule there've been multifaith places to pray.

ReputationRep:
    I really don't understand why people with such racist and bigoted opinions as your father even choose to live in this country?!

ReputationRep:
    Never heard of that before. Do you have a Qur'anic quote of Hadith to support it? :confused:
    There are many arguments regarding this!
    This is one of it..

Dr. Salah Sultan, President of the Islamic American University and Professor of Islamic Jurisprudence, Cairo University, adds:

"A Muslim should attend the funeral of his non-Muslim parents just as a courteous gesture without participating in any of their rituals, for Islam has set certain rituals to be performed in funeral service; this leaves no room for any innovations. By attending, one shows that Islam is keen on maintaining relations. Allah Almighty says: " But if they strive with thee to make thee ascribe unto Me as partner that of which thou hast no knowledge, then obey them not. Consort with them in the world kindly…" (Luqman: 15)

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544150

ReputationRep:
    There are many arguments regarding this!
    This is one of it...
    Dr. Salah Sultan, President of the Islamic American University and Professor of Islamic Jurisprudence, Cairo University, adds:

"A Muslim should attend the funeral of his non-Muslim parents just as a courteous gesture without participating in any of their rituals, for Islam has set certain rituals to be performed in funeral service; this leaves no room for any innovations. By attending, one shows that Islam is keen on maintaining relations. Allah Almighty says: " But if they strive with thee to make thee ascribe unto Me as partner that of which thou hast no knowledge, then obey them not. Consort with them in the world kindly…" (Luqman: 15)

Birr (doing good) is a right a Muslim owes a fellow Muslim and non-Muslim as well. If it's a duty for a man to sustain his non-Muslim parents, then it is his responsibility to attend their funeral prayer and accept people's condolences as a righteous deed towards parents."

http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/S...=1119503544150

ReputationRep:
    Yup, EXACT same situation with me, one of my mates found out she had breast cancer, and although we werent very very close we did have our moments. I wasnt allowed, my dad said you can't go to a silly white girls funeral. I sneaked out and went, and i cried there and stuff deal't with it when i got back and just sat down and explained to him to be stop bein so eastern.

Anon or delete, please.

Snip.
    I've heard these excuses before. Wrong is still wrong; I don't care if a war was going on. That just makes it all the more likely that the Quran was dreamt up by Mohammed. Why is it that so much of what's in there just happens to benefit him in the short term? If Mohammed was the last prophet, then why didn't god write a text which could apply to all people in all times? Why is it that a perfect god has written a deeply flawed book, filled with evil teachings? Why is it that the only people you could apply it to were greedy and ignorant medieval desert dwellers? Because it was fiction.

A perfect god, for example, would have placed an outright ban on slavery, yet it is permitted in the Quran, and so is having sex with captives (4:24). This is NOT the work of an omniscient being, just the ramblings of a barbaric and power hungry middle aged man. If we can't take the Quran at face value, then what good is it? I could throw dozens of evil verses your way, and all you'd do is dredge up some half-baked excuse which tries to justify evil. What's the point? If the Quran was perfect, we wouldn't even be having this discussion. A perfect god wouldn't allow wife beating under any circumstances, no matter how "light" (4:34), wouldn't whip people in public for adultery or fornication (24:2), and surely wouldn't cut off the hands of thieves (5:38), because that's evil. It's shocking how people would rather defend evil than let go of their ridiculous beliefs.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    My best friend died of cancer recently (at only the age of 15) and his funeral is going to be next week. I was so shocked when I heard the news, he meant so much to me and I haven't stopped crying since.

But my dad always shouts at me when he sees me crying in my bed (when I think I'm alone and just let everything out). Apparently 'he's just a white man, what does he mean to you?' I'm not allowed to argue back, to argue that regardless of colour, race, religion, whatever I am totally hurt and genuinely really really saddened by his death, it hurts so much because I'm meant to be 'daddy's good little girl who cooks and cleans and stays at home'. URGH, it makes me so angry ...

That's all he ever drills in me, but what the hell do random men in Palestine have to do with me?!?

And now he's not letting me go to his funeral because of our cultural/religious differences apparently and the fact that he's male

But Muslims, is he actually allowed to do this?? Is there anything in the Quran that says we can't go to others' funerals??

Just had a chat with my mum who is Muslim: she pretty much says that is absolute ********, you are allowed to attend any funeral you want.

Your dad is just being a ****. Go anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    Your father is a *******.

Go to your friends funeral and say your goodbyes He clearly meant a lot to you. Oh, remind your dad he is free to **** off to Palestine whenever he pleases and leave us "white men" to it. What a racist prick he is.
    This. He's a complete bully and a complete hypocrite considering he doesn't mind living in a 'white country'.

You just need to use your common sense. Going to someone's funeral isn't a bad thing. You know that.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard these excuses before. Wrong is still wrong; I don't care if a war was going on.
    No - wrong is not still wrong, because you have quoted out of context.

It's the difference between me saying "The Middle East shouldn't be allied with the USA" and saying no Muslim should make friends with an American.

As you can see, there is a big difference beteween the two. You've automatically assumed that the Qur'an is referring to the second type of "friendship", which is between individuals, even though it is clear that it is referring to the first type.

The second one is "wrong", but the first one is not. You can't expect a group of people to start allying with another during a war situation, if it is going to lead to their demise during the war.

That just makes it all the more likely that the Quran was dreamt up by Mohammed.
    Ok, an illiterate, uneducated person wrote the Qur'an. That's likely.

[quote]Why is it that so much of what's in there just happens to benefit him in the short term?[/quuote]

Because the Qur'an is designed to benefit those who follow it.

If Mohammed was the last prophet, then why didn't god write a text which could apply to all people in all times?
    The Qur'an does not apply to people who existed before it (for obvious reasons).

But other than that, the Qur'an does apply to all people at all times, unless stated otherwise. (The quotes you have made are examples of where it is stated otherwise).

Why is it that a perfect god has written a deeply flawed book, filled with evil teachings?
    He hasn't - as I've pointed out, the quotes you have made are not examples of evil teachings.

A perfect god, for example, would have placed an outright ban on slavery, yet it is permitted in the Quran,
    Why?
    We automatically cringe at the idea of slavery today, because historically, we know that masters have been cruel to slaves, and they have been oppressed in the past.

Such cruelty is prohibited in the Qur'an. But slavery itself - well it's just another type of employment, where you get paid in food, clothes, shelter etc. rather than in money.

and so is having sex with captives (4:24).
    Note that having sex with someone is not the same as raping someone, which you seem to be assuming here.

Rape is prohibited in the Qur'an. But prisoners of war - well why should they be forced to be celibate during that time?

If we can't take the Quran at face value, then what good is it?
    We can take the Qur'an at face value - but you aren't doing that, you're quoting out of context.

For example, if the Qur'an says something like "Punish everyone who is a criminal" - well that doesn't really look so bad, does it?

But if you come along and quote "punish everyone", it looks worse than it is.

I could throw dozens of evil verses your way, and all you'd do is dredge up some half-baked excuse which tries to justify evil.
    I'm not justifying evil, I'm showing you how you've misunderstood what the verse is talking about, by quoting just a short sentence without reading its surroundings.

A perfect god wouldn't allow wife beating under any circumstances, no matter how "light" (4:34), wouldn't whip people in public for adultery or fornication (24:2), and surely wouldn't cut off the hands of thieves (5:38), because that's evil. It's shocking how people would rather defend evil than let go of their ridiculous beliefs.
    Your idea of what is "evil" and what isn't is certainly not objective.

ReputationRep:
    im muslim and no offense but your dad is a bit of a nutter....ofcourse you should go to your friends funeral

ReputationRep:
    OP your father sounds like an intolerant prick - there are shedloads of white muslims - in Bosnia and Russia especially
    There are shedloads of Black Muslims - Africa and the USA
    There are loads of East Asian Muslims - Malaysia , Indonesia and China

If your dad is so apparently racist against whites he probably shouldnt be in a majority white country

You owe it to yourself and to your friend to go to his funeral. That he is male shouldn't influence things - you are NOT subject to Sharia'a law.

This whole notion of 'Islamic Brotherhod' is ******** in reality. The Arabs only have to cut the oil to israel to help palestine. Ask your dad how often he contributes to Palestine. What does he have in common with his Palestinian counterpart?
    When asian kids from here go to fight in Afghanistan, what do they have in common with their 'brothers'? They dont speak the same language, eat the same food or have the same customs.

ReputationRep:

But my dad always shouts at me when he sees me crying in my bed (when I think I'm alone and just let everything out). Apparently 'he's just a white man, what does he mean to you?' I'm not allowed to argue back, to argue that regardless of colour, race, religion, whatever I am totally hurt and genuinely really really saddened by his death, it hurts so much because I'm meant to be 'daddy's good little girl who cooks and cleans and stays at home'. URGH, it makes me so angry ...

But Muslims, is he actually allowed to do this?? Is there anything in the Quran that says we can't go to others' funerals??

NO OFFENCE BUT YOUR FATHER IS NOT A PROPER MUSLIM.
    I mean cmon i know Palestinian people are dying and all but there is a hadith or something about the prophet treating a guy called Bilal properly even though he was black and a slave (back then arabs were really hostile to black people also he was the first black person to convert to islam) the prophet asked bilal to call people to their prayers he also had the most beautiful voice. Anyways whatever the moral of the story is that race DOES NOT matter If your father was a real Muslim he would know that and he would know God does not look at humans by race but by how pious they are. *tuts*

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.