Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Being christened Gemma Victoria I have never really liked my name. Victoria is okay, but the name Gemma just makes me think of chavs for some reason.

My friend suggested changing the spelling to Jemma-which might look more posh!
    I'm not convinced it makes a difference. I'm thinking of dropping the Gemma and just being called Victoria.
    Ideas?

ReputationRep:
    I like it
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I think Jemma is a bit better but who really cares though, Victoria is a posh name anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Jemma = :nn:

Keep your name as it is, it's nice

ReputationRep:
    How is 'Jemma' less 'chavier'?

Jemma looks a bit nicer, but I don't think you should let your name become just Victoria. It sounds too....old-fashioned or fake. :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    noo! I love the name Gemma.. it reminds me of a certain Gemma Ward, not so bad :p:

ReputationRep:
    Gemma spellt with a "J" is way more chavvy.

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind that it's more than likely 'Victoria' will be shortened to 'Vicky', which in my opinion, is much worse than Gemma.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody is going to judge you on your name. Changing the spelling would only look crap and desperately "alternative" and is, ironically, incredibly unoriginal.

I don't like my name either :fyi:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why but i think Jemma is more Chavvy than Gemma, I like the name Gemma and Victoria!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Heir-Head)
    Bear in mind that it's more than likely 'Victoria' will be shortened to 'Vicky', which in my opinion, is much worse than Gemma.
    agreeed

keep your name, i've never thought gemma was chavy

ReputationRep:
    My name is Victoria
    Funnily enough my sister is called Gemma. I think Gemma is quite nice.
    I like your name as it is hun but by all means change it hehe, dont hear many Victorias around now. We need a few more of us :woo:

ReputationRep:
    Thankyou for the views everyone.
    I feel slightly better about me name now hehe :p:

ReputationRep:
    I like your name as it is

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.