Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    One of my good friends desperately wants to be a model.
    I don't want her to get ripped off because i think a lot of that stuff goes on.
    what's required to model and what tips can i give her?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by luci-x)
    I'd say the most important thing is, when getting a portfolio done the company shouldn't charge you for it, or charge you very little.

ReputationRep:
    One of your good friends :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    totally depends on what sort of modeling you are talking about

ReputationRep:
    Make sure any agencies she goes to don't charge her. If they charge her, they're ripping her off. A good place to start for her is to maybe email some modelling agencies with some pictures, and details (height, weight, measurements etc) and see if she gets any replies.

ReputationRep:
    Any real modeling agency won't charge you anything. If she sends pictures of herself to them, they will tell her if she has got what it takes.

ReputationRep:
    rich parents with a powerful business and connections. just look at miss NIs top ten last year and then look at the uk richlist / the corporate sponsors.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miss_Scarlett)
    I'd say the most important thing is, when getting a portfolio done the company shouldn't charge you for it, or charge you very little.
    ditto... no respectable agency charges up front. Go to agencies listed with AMA (assoc. model agents). Either go to them or just send only polaroids. If none of those agencies will take them they should consider doing something else from modelling.

(P.s. I have rep to give out so please someone say something funny so I can rep u)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshua3)
    (P.s. I have rep to give out so please someone say something funny so I can rep u)
    I'm pretty sure your rep power is equal to zero now, anyway :redface:

How come "agencies shouldn't charge you"? I've always heard people saying that to have any chances in acting/modelling you have to have a portfolio first, to have good pictures to sent to agencies (modelling, acting... etc.), and obviously noone's gonna do pictures like this for free? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)

How come "agencies shouldn't charge you"? I've always heard people saying that to have any chances in acting/modelling you have to have a portfolio first, to have good pictures to sent to agencies (modelling, acting... etc.), and obviously noone's gonna do pictures like this for free? :confused:
    oh so my rep means nothing? nooooo

yeah.... no the proper agencies know what they're looking for, its pretty easy to see if someone has it or not....when a girl or guy comes to the agency and they take them on board then they send them off to proper photographers

ReputationRep:
    I was talking to a girl the other day who is a model and I told her of when I was told I needed to pay £200 upfront for a portfolio and she told me straight away that it was a con. According to what she told me, they (the agency) only take money off you once you've had your first paid shoot.

ReputationRep:

Sending simple face and body shots (ideally in a swimsuit) with little/no make up will do fine. Send them to the agencies, see if you [well, OP's friend] get any replies.

Yeah, I can't phrase things well.

ReputationRep:

Usually you'd send in snapshots of yourself against a white wall, facing different ways with your hair tied up and no makeup. You can do this yourself, so you don't need to spend any money. Then if they accept you, you go in and they do some professional shots for you.

ReputationRep:
    What about acting, then? I'm too short to be a male model, but thinking about doing some acting maybe, as I'm not that bad looking so maybe start as an extra or something. Does it make any sense to go and get good pictures done by a professional photographer to have good stuff to send it to the agency, or would a simple face and body shot be enough? :confused:
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I took a two year break between my A-levels and GCSEs and was scouted as a model...therefore I can give some tips:

You need to be at least 5'7" or 5'8" and over, as well as slim, ie size 6 or 8.
    Your body needs to be in good proportions.
    You don't NEED to be striking, contrary to popular belief. A lot of agencies are going for the 'quirky' look these days.
    DO NOT spend large amounts of money on a portfolio, or signing up to bogus agencies.
    The larger agencies, such as Storm, Select and Models 1 have an 'apply' option on their site: Your friend can send in some pictures, ie a body shot, some face shots, as well as filling out some personal information. None of these need to be professional, the agencies will still be able to judge, and they'd rather have some natural photos to start off with.
    They also scout in major shops such as Topshop and H&M on Oxford Street, as well as nightclubs where models are likely to go to.

If this fails, your friend should NOT sign up to anything, and NOT spend any money, she WILL get ripped off. If she has the correct attributes, agencies should easily say yes or she could get scouted before she knows it.

One warning: modeling is hard work. Though there is no intellect present at all, a large amount of the people are extremely shallow and callous. your friend should be confident, and not susceptible to insults and/or degrading comments.

G'luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    One of your good friends :rolleyes:
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.
    Thanks for the unnecessary neg rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serrellen)
    Thanks for the unnecessary neg rep.
    I've not repped anyone, positive or negative.

ReputationRep:

It's the thought that counts, Bruno. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    It's a horrible place to be. Modeling is fun when you do it on a casual basis but it's not in any way a sensible long-term career goal. People are *****y, shallow, minipulative and callous. Models get "used" in every sense of the word and in every way you can think of. I only dipped my toe into the "fashion" side of modeling and what I saw/ heard was enough for me never to go back there, it's nothing like the image they like to portray to the outside. I can see how young girls with no other prospects can be drawn into it though, it's really very sad. As careful as I have been, I still didn't escape it totally.. But that's a whole other story.

Tell your mate to get herself to uni and have a proper rewarding career. You can model casually for a little extra cash and have loads of fun.

Edit: Watch this http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...elling-fashion

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 11, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.