Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just think the government could spend the money on something more important, perhaps on grants for universities? I am on EMA but I see it as a bonus, and I would have been able to go to college. I live very close and I understand that EMA payments are supposed to help with travel costs, however most people do not use their EMA for travel costs, and for the ones who do, the benefit of college means that they would find the money. As most people who go to college (6th form colleges mainly) go to university, surely it would make more sense to help people into university?

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were

ReputationRep:
    I can see why they have EMA but it just seems so much money, with the bonuses as well! I have a friend who just spends so much on bags and clothes, money which i don't have because i don't get EMA and I can't find a job. £30 a week is loads! How could the average person who gets EMA possibly need that much to get them through 6th Form! It definitely should be used for University Grants, simply because people have to pay for uni and you don't have to pay for 6th form.

ReputationRep:
    I think it is a waste of money when they give £10 to people on very high incomes and £10 isn't going to make much of a difference. for me EMA paid my £33 bus pass each month, my revision guides, my train fare to uni interview and stationery. Maybe they should give book vouchers etc instead though as most people I know use it for drink :yep:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think we can say that University is more important than a-levels, it surely depends on the individual, their ideal career path and the subject(s) that they're studying.

In my case if it wasn't for EMA then I wouldn't have been able to go to sixth form, and subsequently wouldn't have been able to get to university. True, in many cases EMA might not be used for its intended purpose but for every person who uses the money for alcohol or shopping, I bet there's another person who actually needed the money to be able to attend college. I know this was certainly the case amongst my friends.

It's a difficult system to apply a set of rules and criteria to and it suffers from the same problem as the University student loans system where in the majority of cases people get just the right amount of funding and in some cases people get too much/too little.

People do get plenty of support at university anyway, removing the support at a-level, could, especially in these hard times, result in less people going to university anyway which would mean the extra support just wouldn't be needed. Whilst some may argue, myself included, that less people need to go to university to stop the devaulatation of the degree, discouraging people according to their wealth or social status is not the way forward.

ReputationRep:
    I see the point in EMA but around here the local council pays 90% of the travel costs of anyone on EMA anyway, they just have to keep their train/bus tickets and send them in at the end of the month. The money automatically goes into their account then some is taken out if tickets are missing, to me it would make much more sense to do this for everyone then give everyone a lower sum, 5 pound/week for going to college.

That or make the bonuses for everyone who acchieves what their expected to. I dont see your point, EMA does make a difference to quite a few people... just not around here!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leala4628)
    I think it is a waste of money when they give £10 to people on very high incomes and £10 isn't going to make much of a difference. for me EMA paid my £33 bus pass each month, my revision guides, my train fare to uni interview and stationery. Maybe they should give book vouchers etc instead though as most people I know use it for drink :yep:
    You say this, but EMA is very important to low-income families?..there are some people that use it to give to their parents as sorta extra income...

I see the book vouchers thing being a good thing though..because, as you say..some people just spend it on drinks and stuff..

But yeah, EMA is important..keep it! lol

ReputationRep:
    well in my experience the majority of people that are on ema get a part time job... making that money just and added bonus to their pay, personally i think this makes it unfair but hey what does my opinion matter...

ReputationRep:
    Done before. Use the search.

ReputationRep:
    I give half my EMA money to my parents and the rest does actually get spent on travel/lunch/trips/textbooks. I've probably spent about £100 of EMA over two years on things which arent really needed to attend for college like credit for my phone.

ReputationRep:
    my mom needs the ema to pay for her bills and such so i don't think its a waste.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kexy)
    I don't think we can say that University is more important than a-levels, it surely depends on the individual, their ideal career path and the subject(s) that they're studying.

In my case if it wasn't for EMA then I wouldn't have been able to go to sixth form, and subsequently wouldn't have been able to get to university. True, in many cases EMA might not be used for its intended purpose but for every person who uses the money for alcohol or shopping, I bet there's another person who actually needed the money to be able to attend college. I know this was certainly the case amongst my friends.

It's a difficult system to apply a set of rules and criteria to and it suffers from the same problem as the University student loans system where in the majority of cases people get just the right amount of funding and in some cases people get too much/too little.

People do get plenty of support at university anyway, removing the support at a-level, could, especially in these hard times, result in less people going to university anyway which would mean the extra support just wouldn't be needed. Whilst some may argue, myself included, that less people need to go to university to stop the devaulatation of the degree, discouraging people according to their wealth or social status is not the way forward.
    I think you've caught the wrong end of the stick. I do not think university is more important than a-levels for everyone, but I think funding is way more important, as there are a lot more issues. This year 40,000 people are going to be turned away from university because of funding issues, and I don't think thats fair that 90%+ (random guess) of people who are on EMA aren't using it for much useful. It would be better to put most of the EMA pot into universities, then give a small amount to college to contribute to transport costs for the odd student who needs it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul_blakeman)
    I think you've caught the wrong end of the stick. I do not think university is more important than a-levels for everyone, but I think funding is way more important, as there are a lot more issues. This year 40,000 people are going to be turned away from university because of funding issues, and I don't think thats fair that 90%+ (random guess) of people who are on EMA aren't using it for much useful. It would be better to put most of the EMA pot into universities, then give a small amount to college to contribute to transport costs for the odd student who needs it.
    You don't have any figures to substantiate your ideas, though. You've picked this 90% figure from thin air without any actual sources.

Let's take the 40,000 figure you've come up for people not going to university because of financial reasons. And let's pretend EMA isn't around, further to that i'll humour your claim that 90% of people don't really need EMA (which I really contest) - that means 54 647 people who by your qualifications would have needed EMA wouldn't have got it in 2007/2008. So around 14500 more people put off sixth form and subsequently university that the 40,000 put off just university this year.

When you consider that in reality far more than 10% of the people receiving EMA will actually need it and also consider the hard times that we're in at the moment then it's clear that many more people would be denied that further and higher education by scrapping EMA than the comparativeley small number of people (40,000) turned away from just higher education now.

All that's just working with your, sketchy, figures.

ReputationRep:
    Total waste of money !

My friend will be getting EMA shortly, she has a good part time job and probably gets more money than me. My job drives me mad Regardless of her parents earning a lot less than mine.

Ahhh maybe I'm just bitter, but it doesn't seem to be spent on education, just leisure .. like an allowance

ReputationRep:
    aged 16 - haven't a clue what to do after school, free money to stay on. of course it's a waste - especially for those that got the full amount, ended up with E's or fails, didn't go to university and could have started work at 16 and not missed out on two years work experience.

ReputationRep:
    i think EMA is a good idea if people actually need it. My friend gets £30 a week and she really doenst need it, a fact that she admits- she just spends it on clothes and she was doing fine before she got EMA. I think there just needs to be a more thorough way of determining who really needs it and who doesnt..

ReputationRep:
    EMA annoys me for the fact it is only for low/middle income families.

I don't think it's fair that if your parents earn over £30,000 p.a. that the government assumes that they give money to their children.
    My parents earn over £30,000 and have 4 children, we never have money just given to us, unless it is for birthday/christmas present.
    My 6th form advised us not to work over 9 hours per week, but how am i meant to survive on £40 to pay for my phone, board, car insurance, car payments, petrol, books/equipment for college, food and actually having a social life.
    Whilst at college i have had to work 20-25 hours per week just to cover my cost of living, whilst my friend (that gets EMA) only works 8 hours per week and gets EMA, but still complains about having no money!

Also i am having to work full time all summer to save up money to get to go to university whilst my friends and boyfriend are working 8 hours per week, having fun all summer and get university grants and loans.

sorry bit of a rant there, but i feel better now

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like the majority of people who are against EMA are just being bitter because they're not getting free money. If you want to score points, you most likely scored a lot more life points than your "poor friend" who has been disadvantaged throughout their life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustYourTypicalBlonde)

I don't think it's fair that if your parents earn over £30,000 p.a. that the government assumes that they give money to their children.
    My parents earn over £30,000 and have 4 children, we never have money just given to us, unless it is for birthday/christmas present.
    My 6th form advised us not to work over 9 hours per week, but how am i meant to survive on £40 to pay for my phone, board, car insurance, car payments, petrol, books/equipment for college, food and actually having a social life.
    Whilst at college i have had to work 20-25 hours per week just to cover my cost of living, whilst my friend (that gets EMA) only works 8 hours per week and gets EMA, but still complains about having no money!

Also i am having to work full time all summer to save up money to get to go to university whilst my friends and boyfriend are working 8 hours per week, having fun all summer and get university grants and loans.

I'm not saying this is your case - but in the majority of cases where people say they don't get anything from their parents or EMA, there's often lots of things they forget.

Clothes bought by parents, large amounts of money at birthdays/christmas, driving lessons, trips paid for, money for nights out, holidays abroad, school things bought for them etc etc.

ReputationRep:
    In my case...
    i buy all my clothes, i don't know what you would class as a large amount (but we all get £50 for birthdays and a little bit more for christmas, so yes this probably is a large amount), i paid for all my driving lessons, never get money for nights out, last year i paid for my holiday abroad because i went with a friend, but this year my parents are treating me as its going to be my last holiday abroad with them, and i never get school things bought for me.

Yes i would say my parents do get me a lot, but its the same with my friend, her parents probably give her more, like for example they are paying for her driving lessons.

I know it's different in all cases and i'm just feeling sorry for myself!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustYourTypicalBlonde)

yes i totally agree with you. im in the same situation. its so annoying that i have to work all the hours i can because i dont get the grants and extra money that everyone else gets. granted my parents earn over 30k but they cant afford to give me money and i think this should be taken into account.
    i was working 25 hours during my alevels and do the same now im at uni. over the holidays i work up to 50 hours a week. meaning less time to do uni work etc.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 13, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.