Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cashdogg666)
    yes i totally agree with you. im in the same situation. its so annoying that i have to work all the hours i can because i dont get the grants and extra money that everyone else gets. granted my parents earn over 30k but they cant afford to give me money and i think this should be taken into account.
    i was working 25 hours during my alevels and do the same now im at uni. over the holidays i work up to 50 hours a week. meaning less time to do uni work etc.

yay someone that gets me.
    I had to lie to my sixth form tutor to tell him i only did 10 hours a week when i was really doing 25, he then said to me, "oh, thats a bit much do you think you should try and cut that down a bit?" !!!
    I don't know where he thinks i will get my money from!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexdrans)
    Sounds like the majority of people who are against EMA are just being bitter because they're not getting free money. If you want to score points, you most likely scored a lot more life points than your "poor friend" who has been disadvantaged throughout their life.
    i'm not against the idea of giving money to students to help them concentrate on their studies instead of on their part time job, in fact i think its a fantastic idea, i just think it should be avaliable to more people.

ReputationRep:
    I think ema is a really good idea. I would not be able to do anyting without out. Of course the idea behind it is that parents who earn less will result in their children getting less so therefore willl be disadvantaged at school. Personally i get no money from my parents so seriously need this money. I have bought pretty much all my books etc. And obviously i use it to go out because i dont want to be a hermit. I used to have a job but i had to quit becuase i struggled to get the work done for school and i didnt want to bugger up my a levels. I had hardly any days off becuase i didnt want to lose any money and (not that i didnt want to) i sat all my exams becuase i didnt want to lose the bonus.
    People focus too much on the negatives and those that misuse the money, and forget that it seriously does help loads of kids, and encourages them to further their education.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b.ryan123)
    I think ema is a really good idea. I would not be able to do anyting without out. Of course the idea behind it is that parents who earn less will result in their children getting less so therefore willl be disadvantaged at school. Personally i get no money from my parents so seriously need this money. I have bought pretty much all my books etc. And obviously i use it to go out because i dont want to be a hermit. I used to have a job but i had to quit becuase i struggled to get the work done for school and i didnt want to bugger up my a levels. I had hardly any days off becuase i didnt want to lose any money and (not that i didnt want to) i sat all my exams becuase i didnt want to lose the bonus.
    People focus too much on the negatives and those that misuse the money, and forget that it seriously does help loads of kids, and encourages them to further their education.

This is my point exactly, those who get no money from their parents and no EMA don't get this option.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JustYourTypicalBlonde)
    This is my point exactly, those who get no money from their parents and no EMA don't get this option.
    I can see your point. I would be frustrated with ema in that situation as well.

ReputationRep:
    I personally think EMA isn't a bad idea but the way it has been implemented is. It is quite stupid that they dont take into account the amount of children in a household - obviously a family that earns just over the threshold with 5 children will have less money than a family with one child.

I don't think the solution to getting people into higher education is to throw money at them. Most people I know use EMA for clothes and going out, not textbooks and transport as the government would like to believe.

Also it is quite easy to 'cheat the system' in a way. If your parents are divorced and one of them earns little, or does not have to work, whilst the other earns a lot, you can just put that parent down and get EMA.

ReputationRep:
    Of course there are some people that get it who don't really need it. I had a friend whose parents were seperated but his dad use to give his mum £20 000 a year to look after him and a little brother and she was working as a technician in a school, so obviously they hadn't revealed the amount of money she was receiving from the dad. However, there are some people who really do need that money and without it wouldn't be able to study for higher qualifications ... so no it is not a waste of money.

Even had I qualified for it, I wouldn't have got it. I was hardly there.

ReputationRep:
    EMA is only a waste of money to you if you don't get it. Like I didn't lol.

ReputationRep:
    I think this thread has been made before.

ReputationRep:
    It is really important that my friend gets it because she is an art student and her art supplies cost a fortune! but obviously it is all dependant on the individual and what they are studying etc...

ReputationRep:
    I agree with EMA. My mum was poor & very clever and wasn't able to go to college because of massive pressure from her working class parents to get a job and bring some money in. If she'd have been allowed EMA they probably would have let her do A-Levels. I think in circumstances like this it's a good thing, but perhaps needs to be more regulated. For example my dad's technically unemployed and I could have claimed it due to various loopholes, but I didn't because my parents already have a lot of money in the bank (since my dad sold his business) and we live in a big house -- thought it would be immoral and my mates would be like "what the ****". But others who don't need it DO still claim it, and I think that's bad.

ReputationRep:
    ANOTHER one of these?

ReputationRep:
    EMA-waste of money?: yes

next

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by paul_blakeman)
    I just think the government could spend the money on something more important, perhaps on grants for universities? I am on EMA but I see it as a bonus, and I would have been able to go to college. I live very close and I understand that EMA payments are supposed to help with travel costs, however most people do not use their EMA for travel costs, and for the ones who do, the benefit of college means that they would find the money. As most people who go to college (6th form colleges mainly) go to university, surely it would make more sense to help people into university?

Just wondered what peoples thoughts were
    How would that help people though? Even if it was held back til they went to uni, being in 6th form doesn't always mean you'll go to uni.

ReputationRep:
    EMA is silly and wholly unnecessary for a lot of people.

ReputationRep:
    EMA is brilliant, I get a boner everytime I get money in my bank account.

ReputationRep:
    EMA is the worst thing ever created. I get £20 a week and I really dont need it, and I bet the other 99% of people who get it dont need it either.

Why do you suddenly need more money when going to college/sixth form?

ReputationRep:
    80% of EMA money people received i know was spent on weed.
    N1 government.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It should be a parent's responsibility to provide for their children (16-17 year olds are children), so I'm not sure I see the point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brouhaha)
    I agree with EMA. My mum was poor & very clever and wasn't able to go to college because of massive pressure from her working class parents to get a job and bring some money in. If she'd have been allowed EMA they probably would have let her do A-Levels. I think in circumstances like this it's a good thing, but perhaps needs to be more regulated. For example my dad's technically unemployed and I could have claimed it due to various loopholes, but I didn't because my parents already have a lot of money in the bank (since my dad sold his business) and we live in a big house -- thought it would be immoral and my mates would be like "what the ****". But others who don't need it DO still claim it, and I think that's bad.
    I don't think that's the lack of EMA's fault, I think that's the parents fault.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 13, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.