Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm doing my Geography IB HL coursework on beaches and coasts at the moment and since both my hypotheses were proven incorrect by my data im a bit stuck at the analysis bit trying to prove why....

my 2 hypotheses are:

1)There is a positive correlation between gradient of the beach and particle size
    2)There is a negative correlation between the distance to the headland and the size of the particles

Do you think I could explain Hyp 1) not being proved For Hyp 1) again, do you think its possible to say beaches are are showing the characteristics of boulder beaches which take time to recover after storms- as in before a storm the beach profile becomes flatter but when the storm passes the fair weather waves cannot actually move the large boulders back and so the beach displays a flatter gradient until the beach ahs fully recovered. Or is it too far a stretch?

Do berms affect particle size in any way? Its just that I found a few in one of my beaches and I'm wondering how to relate them

How would water currents and water depth affect particle size and how LSD and water depth effect the energy a wave has when it reaches the shoreline?

Also, what causes the bands of sediment on the beach for eg. band of pebbles at shoreline, further up band of rocks, and finally near the cliff band of fine sand.

just ask if you need more info.

THANK YOU!

ReputationRep:
    I guess you could say it has similar characteristics to a boulder beach. How large were the particle sizes? Were they eroded from nearby cliffs or something? What sort of energy environment are we talking? The sort of pattern you would be looking for in a boulder beach is the particle size getting smaller towards land, because the boulders are too heavy to be carried in suspension, so are dragged along the bed in traction, and usually not very far.

Have you thought about the fetch in relation to the energy of the waves?

ReputationRep:
    they werent actually that large.... like maybe some were the size of a fist? yes there was quite a high energy environment.

ive thought about the fetch in relation to the energy of the waves but that basically goes under wave energy... need something more directly linked to particle size if possible?

thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.